Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:00 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,481,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez28 View Post
You know how in the past they had those I think they are called stocks, the things a persons arms and head would be put into and locked and people could walk by throw things at them, ridicule them, hit them, etc? Well what if they came back but for abusive men?
Sounds like something a Shariah state would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 06:03 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,756,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Sounds like something a Shariah state would do.
Nonsense! Sharia Law punishes the women for everything. For getting abused. For getting raped. For going out in public. Under Sharia Law, if you're a woman you're pretty much wrong no matter what. If Arab/Muslim nations used stocks like that, only women would ever be in the things.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,163,505 times
When I was with my abusive ex, we were in an outdoor café, and he interrogating me on why I was out so late last night or something stupid, and I gave him some kind of snarky response. He leaned over the table and raised his hand at me like he was going to smack me or something and told me that he dared me to say that smartass remark again. It was the first time he'd acted abusive in public. There was only a few other people, but immediately a guy yelled out, "Touch her and you'll lose your hand".

He immediately backed off, but I excused myself to the restroom and immediately ditched him and got the hell out of there, because I did not want to get in his car and go home with him afterwards.

After that, he was ok in public, but he didn't get any better when we were alone together.

The idea of a Shame Box for abusers is tempting, but it doesn't fix that he simply had heaps of anger issues. Probably from being beaten as a kid by his parents and then joining the military in his country (not saying that causes abusive behaviour, but if you already have preexisting issues...).

The only solution for that is for them to just not date anyone or have kids ever.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:40 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,481,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Nonsense! Sharia Law punishes the women for everything. For getting abused. For getting raped. For going out in public. Under Sharia Law, if you're a woman you're pretty much wrong no matter what. If Arab/Muslim nations used stocks like that, only women would ever be in the things.
Well then 'Shariah' in the sense of a backwards, oppressive regime operating under a heavy dose of fundamental religion as their justification.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:26 PM

269 posts, read 179,005 times
Quote:
You know how in the past they had those I think they are called stocks, the things a persons arms and head would be put into and locked and people could walk by throw things at them, ridicule them, hit them, etc? Well what if they came back but for abusive men? Say a man beats a woman, he is forced to wear a sign that says "I like to beat women" and people are allowed to do much the same, and say it became a common practice all over tomorrow hypothetically, do you think men would be less likely to abuse women if they knew they'd be looking at being publicly named and shamed and had to stay in the stocks for like a week?

It has always amazed me how little our poor excuse of a "justice" system actually ends up treating these men. They may just get a few days in jail but really in America there's really no truly bad punishment men that abuse women have to worry about.
Perhaps, but it would blow false allegations through the roof. There are too many "crazy ex girlfriends" that would have a pretty easy way to publicly ruin a guy.

It's already pretty easy to send an innocent guy to jail for domestic violence. Do we really need more ways to destroy people's lives with little evidence required? One of my best friends got a domestic violence charge about 10 years ago when his neighbors called the cops after listening to his psycho pothead hippy girlfriend scream at him for drinking too much and throwing a bottle of beer at him in the back yard. When the cops got there she claimed she threw the bottle at him in self defense because he shoved her, which was complete BS.

Guess who went to jail........

Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,744,324 times
Quote:
It's just ridiculous to me that we put white collar crimes WAYYYYYY ahead of any other. If someone is stealing from the government for example they'll send in choppers and swat teams to take him down and give a HEAVY sentence, but abusers, rapists and the like get slaps on the wrist. Why is just stealing money considered a far worse crime than others?
Do you think women are superior to men? Why do women need "special protection"? You wanted equal rights, you got em. No special treatment for women.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:41 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,363,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
When I was with my abusive ex, we were in an outdoor café, and he interrogating me on why I was out so late last night or something stupid, and I gave him some kind of snarky response. He leaned over the table and raised his hand at me like he was going to smack me or something and told me that he dared me to say that smartass remark again. It was the first time he'd acted abusive in public. There was only a few other people, but immediately a guy yelled out, "Touch her and you'll lose your hand".

He immediately backed off, but I excused myself to the restroom and immediately ditched him and got the hell out of there, because I did not want to get in his car and go home with him afterwards.

After that, he was ok in public, but he didn't get any better when we were alone together.

The idea of a Shame Box for abusers is tempting, but it doesn't fix that he simply had heaps of anger issues. Probably from being beaten as a kid by his parents and then joining the military in his country (not saying that causes abusive behaviour, but if you already have preexisting issues...).

The only solution for that is for them to just not date anyone or have kids ever.
I'd say therapy is another option. They might not be willing to do it, but that could help stop the cycle.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,784,961 times
Quote:
You know how in the past they had those I think they are called stocks, the things a persons arms and head would be put into and locked and people could walk by throw things at them, ridicule them, hit them, etc? Well what if they came back but for abusive men? Say a man beats a woman, he is forced to wear a sign that says "I like to beat women" and people are allowed to do much the same, and say it became a common practice all over tomorrow hypothetically, do you think men would be less likely to abuse women if they knew they'd be looking at being publicly named and shamed and had to stay in the stocks for like a week?

It has always amazed me how little our poor excuse of a "justice" system actually ends up treating these men. They may just get a few days in jail but really in America there's really no truly bad punishment men that abuse women have to worry about.
I'm not clear on why this would apply to only men.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,782,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I'm not clear on why this would apply to only men.
Because the OP is most likely a woman and probably an enabler from an abusive relationship.

CDC Study: More Men than Women Victims of Partner Abuse » SAVE: Stop Abusive and Violent Environments

Old 02-11-2016, 11:21 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,264,275 times
no because you are not addressing the underlying problems.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies