Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want universal health care?
Yes 174 46.90%
No 197 53.10%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times

Advertisements

May God save us from the horrors of universal healthcare and free college!

Going deep in debt for healthcare and college is what freedom is about!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
May God save us from the horrors of universal healthcare and free college!

Going deep in debt for healthcare and college is what freedom is about!
Many without healthcare go into debt or just do without it. I've been without health insurance. Fortunately, I didn't need life saving medication. But the medication I did need cost several hundred dollars for a 30 day supply. If America is so great and superior to other countries...why don't we take care of our own

Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Sorry, I don't always google everything. But the first calculators were pricey!

Electronic Calculators (1965-75)

And now they are free.

How come the first ever cholesterol drug is still not free?\

No one can predict the future, but it is safe to assume we will continue to have technological progress unless there is a holocaust or we get hit by an Asteroid.
Certainly, technological progress will continue. That's not the same as saying "In 200 years health care will actually be extremely cheap and available to ALL. You significantly underestimate the greatness of the human race. And the work week will probably be no more than 15-20 hours." In 1968, Paul Ehrlich was predicting that we'd overpopulate the earth and all start dying of starvation. Now, Japan and many countries in Europe are below replacement level.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Population_Bomb And of course, there was Malthus before the Ehrlichs. (Paul Ehrlich's wife co-authored the book but he did not give her credit, typical "liberal" male of the 1960s.)

Old 02-16-2016, 10:37 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Eric Garner died as a result of strenuously resistingg the police while suffering from a serious medical condition. He wasn't killed by the police for selling untaxed cigarettes. And he was breaking the law, when the cops tell you are under arrest they are not making a request. The time to fight it us in court or at election time. It boggles my mind that some people seem to think they can just walk away from an arrest that they don't agree with. There have been a number of victims of egregious police abuses of late, but I do not see Eric Garner as being one of them.
True, but you said it yourself...it's against the law to do what he did, which is sell untaxed cigarettes (correct? If it was something else, let me know. I'm not extremely familiar with the details). I was countering the point that taxation doesn't involve violence. Tax laws aren't suggestions, they're threats of violence, as is any law.

So yes, I think we agree on the point I was getting at. The only reason Garner was killed was because of taxes, because if it was just a suggestion they'd respect his decision to sell the untaxed product.

I almost forgot how I got on this subject in a healthcare thread...

Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A man in the early 19 century could not imagine where to find money or the means to have water and electricity in every home.

As an early 21st century man you cannot imagine universal health care for all. It seems you cannot imagine the the 24th century.

Let me ask you a question: Do you think in the 24th century MANKIND will still be bickering about healthcare?

As for the money: Here you finally make sense: Let capitalism decide and the prices will come down very quickly. However as long as folks like you support CRONY CAPITALISM the prices will remain sky high.

Let the private insurance compete with a public option. A fair competition MANO A MANO.

Do you think if congress went to the public in the 70's and said "we are raising your taxes substantially to give everyone a cell phone but don't worry about it because in 2015 we will be giving them away free to poor people" that it would have flown?

Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 AM

775 posts, read 776,559 times
Funny how some posts on here equate fining someone for not having health care equals forcing someone to buy firearms. Yet firearms cause more ER medical costs than just about anything else, and are worshipped in the US, where having health care has to be such a struggle, theoretically or practically.

I know a family that have more guns than Carter has pills, the whole family smokes, they did not go to the doctor in a timely manner when sick but went to the ER before they got old enough for Medicare, have one adult son with terminal cancer who smokes and uses drugs, others in the home who get food stamps and sell them for drugs, yet they have the loudest mouths about why the ACA is Communism and that being fined for not getting healthcare is criminal. Of course four out of five of their adult kids don't choose to work. One big beehive of hypocrisy and unhealthy lifestyles that cost the rest of us a lot of money. If this one family was multiplied too many times it is easy to see how the costs to society of their bad choices add up in the big picture.

I also have not seen anyone mention that the taxes on things like alcohol and tobacco in European countries are much higher......I lived in the UK and those taxes went up every year. The sin taxes are higher there and in other countries where healthcare for all is provided. They sell cigarettes in packs of ten so they are cheaper, but when we were in London last year a carton of cigarettes was nearly $100 for name brands. They have duty free cigarettes at the airport with huge "smoking kills" labels on the packs. People walk, ride bikes, and jump on the bus instead of owning cars. And stay fitter. And there are way fewer guns. So there are a lot of cultural differences and influences on the health care debate aside from our profiteering, Capitalist system to consider. And, no one was thinking too far ahead when it was determined, after WWII, that employers should provide health care. That is outdated now, as the need to attract people to stay in jobs long term obviously does not exist any more. And, as the health industry continues to buy off our government representatives, nothing is going to change very quickly.

Hiw about some other changes to go along with health care for all, to include some of what other countries do and liability insurance for guns? (That is another can of worms that cannot be ignored, but certainly needs to be part of the answer). Let the dangerous habits and norms here be taxed to pay for health care as they are what add to its costs.

Very complicated situation to address. In view of this, which I know I have simplified, the ACA was an amazing achievement.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:11 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
Funny how some posts on here equate fining someone for not having health care equals forcing someone to buy firearms. Yet firearms cause more ER medical costs than just about anything else, and are worshipped in the US, where having health care has to be such a struggle, theoretically or practically.

I know a family that have more guns than Carter has pills, the whole family smokes, they did not go to the doctor in a timely manner when sick but went to the ER before they got old enough for Medicare, have one adult son with terminal cancer who smokes and uses drugs, others in the home who get food stamps and sell them for drugs, yet they have the loudest mouths about why the ACA is Communism and that being fined for not getting healthcare is criminal. Of course four out of five of their adult kids don't choose to work. One big beehive of hypocrisy and unhealthy lifestyles that cost the rest of us a lot of money. If this one family was multiplied too many times it is easy to see how the costs to society of their bad choices add up in the big picture.

I also have not seen anyone mention that the taxes on things like alcohol and tobacco in European countries are much higher......I lived in the UK and those taxes went up every year. The sin taxes are higher there and in other countries where healthcare for all is provided. They sell cigarettes in packs of ten so they are cheaper, but when we were in London last year a carton of cigarettes was nearly $100 for name brands. They have duty free cigarettes at the airport with huge "smoking kills" labels on the packs. People walk, ride bikes, and jump on the bus instead of owning cars. And stay fitter. And there are way fewer guns. So there are a lot of cultural differences and influences on the health care debate aside from our profiteering, Capitalist system to consider. And, no one was thinking too far ahead when it was determined, after WWII, that employers should provide health care. That is outdated now, as the need to attract people to stay in jobs long term obviously does not exist any more. And, as the health industry continues to buy off our government representatives, nothing is going to change very quickly.

Hiw about some other changes to go along with health care for all, to include some of what other countries do and liability insurance for guns? (That is another can of worms that cannot be ignored, but certainly needs to be part of the answer). Let the dangerous habits and norms here be taxed to pay for health care as they are what add to its costs.

Very complicated situation to address. In view of this, which I know I have simplified, the ACA was an amazing achievement.
Very nice post. The ACA is not universal healthcare. As an aside, I lived in Vegas for 4 years myself and at times miss it.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:29 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Long term care would probably be managed the same way it is in Great Britain, which is not much different than the way we currently manage it.s.
The Usa has 3x the population of the UK.

Your link does not explain how long we are going to pay for care of an elderly person with multiple health problems,for instance.

Regarding decriminalizing illegal drugs,how is that going to stop people from overdosing and dying?

Old 02-17-2016, 05:36 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The Usa has 3x the population of the UK.

Your link does not explain how long we are going to pay for care of an elderly person with multiple health problems,for instance.

Regarding decriminalizing illegal drugs,how is that going to stop people from overdosing and dying?
The theory on decriminalizing (which I am actually in favor of) and OD's/dying is: how is that any different than today. I posted an actual plan on it on another thread but the essence is essentially: we have lost the war on drugs and business as usual continues to not only be a drain on resources but also has greatly eroded many liberties on the non-user. I'm not saying it is a pretty solution, just utilitarian. Also, I know it will never happen. I also don't go down the tax route, etc... my version is basically applying for the license to dispense and sell (not serve such as in a bar/restaurant) like alcohol.

People mention LTC... I'm curious if they are also thinking Home Health, Skilled Nursing Facilities, and Rehab Hospitals, as they also provide LTC.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:39 AM

5,996 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Do you think if congress went to the public in the 70's and said "we are raising your taxes substantially to give everyone a cell phone but don't worry about it because in 2015 we will be giving them away free to poor people" that it would have flown?
I believe healthcare is just a tad higher on people's importance meters than cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies