Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:59 AM

7,581 posts, read 5,353,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Confused?
Pretty much, and that's the medias fault because Hillary had 416 delegate before anyone even showed up to campaign in Iowa. Super Delegates are not awarded as the result of a primary they are added to a candidates total when ever one of the Super Delegates voices their support for a candidate. In Hillary's case, as soon as she announced she was running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 11:10 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,109,413 times
The DNC really want Hillary Clinton to be president, it's sickening.

Why? Rather anyone likes it or not, Bernie does sort of represent the face of up and coming Democrats. A huge number of his supporters are young. As the current younger generations, millennials, replace Generation X and the Baby Boomers, we can expect more Democrats like Bernie Sanders to be supported. Why then does the DNC so desperately want Hillary, who represents an older wing of Democratic policy?

Because the leaders of the DNC are Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. She represents THEIR values. Because of this, they are embracing the least democratic process I think I've ever seen happen in the US.

Frankly, I think Bernie is favored over all to Hillary. Older Democrats tend to prefer Hillary, but even they are seeing her as disingenuous and corrupt. Younger Democrats almost universally love Bernie because he frankly is what idealists want, and young people are generally idealists. Older generations, because they are scared, seem to see this as negative, but every intelligent person knows that everyone is an idealist at some point. Age tends to make people cynical, which is another thing Bernie actually has going for him. His cynicism about the system is one that crosses partisan lines. Most people are unhappy, which also explains Trump's popularity.

I do not believe Hillary actually won the Iowa caucus. I caucused for Bernie. The results were 200 to 40 in my precinct, and I spoke with friends who had similar turn outs. I'm sure Hillary did win in some areas, and granted, I live in a college town, but Bernie has the same thing Obama had; passionate young people. That's huge. The current "ruling" generation continues the age old trend of assuming they're better than the younger generation, but that's usually not based in fact. Sorry Gen Xers, the Baby Boomers ****ing hated you the same way you hate millennials. Meaning your criticism is based on almost nothing. Frankly, the millennials remind me of the hippies generation in terms of what they fight for.

But I've strayed from my point. The DNC is intentionally sabotaging Bernie. I'm convinced of it. And it's becasue Hillary represents establishment and Bernie does not. The establishment needs to understand that they do not deserve what they have. Wealth and power should not make your vote worth more.

By the way, I do not support taking away the "wealthy" vote. I think they're vote is EQUALLY valid compared to everyone elses. Key word is equal. Not more, not less.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:11 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,752,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
T
Now there is no one to compete with Hillary and she will waltz right into the Oval Office.
Nah. She is facing historic landslide losses in the general election.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,544,980 times
I've never been confused, Democrats run a rigged nominating process.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:46 PM

78,801 posts, read 61,009,316 times
Quote:
After the Iowa caucus (which Clinton won by 0.3%), and the New Hampshire primary (which Sanders won by 22.4%), Clinton currently has 394 delegates, compared to Sanders’ 44, according to Bloomberg.

Confused? Did you think the people wanted Sanders? Oh that is silly, it has nothing to do with what the people wanted, it is the Democratic party we are talking about, grassroots are kept separate to not disturb the anointed one. Here, the chair of the Democratic Part explains it to CNN on the accompanying video. Some solid reasoning on why Clinton deserves the superdelegate head-start so those pesky grassroot candidates are embraced in the convention but don't really tamper with who they want elected.

DNC Chair: Superdelegates Make Sure Party Leaders Don
Younger democrats are in for a really rude awakening if Hillary gets elected president. Many will rationalize what she does (and has done like NAFTA) but others will finally realize just how little of a difference there is between R and D when it comes to actual action instead of empty platitudes.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:51 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,820,400 times
Each superdelegate has the power of about 10,000 voters. Nothing misleading about it. Get rid of it.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:58 PM

25,671 posts, read 17,445,325 times
Kinda fun, watching the Democratic Party run around like headless chickens. See, they thought no one would notice that their selected candidate was a fraud and unelectable. After all, they scooted that Obama feller right past us and then propped up Reid ( I heard he died in 2012) and Pelosi to call the shots.

They got away with it until 2014, and then the voters lined up to hand the Democrats their hat. It'll get better, too. Hillary will lose, the legislature will stay in Republican hands, and the Democratic Party will become as hollow as their philosophy.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:27 PM

7,581 posts, read 5,353,315 times
Quote:
After the Iowa caucus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That percent may be incorrect. They are still finding discrepancies in the Iowa results.
The Iowa Caucus won't be over until the State Convention in June following the county, and district caucus were delegates to the respective meetings caucus to rehash their choices. None of the delegate chosen at any point in the process are committed to staying with the candidate that they stood for in the preceding caucuses.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:02 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,644,599 times
I wondered about that too. It is because of Superdelegates. Seems like if the Dem politicians or whomever it is who votes for Superdelegates, then no matter what the people (voters) want, they can be trumped by these people who vote for superdelegates.

Also, i dont get the Electoral college, they pick the winners - is the Electoral College the ones who vote the Superdelegates? This is all confusing to me about that. Does not seem right.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 AM

78,801 posts, read 61,009,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The DNC really want Hillary Clinton to be president, it's sickening.

Why? Rather anyone likes it or not, Bernie does sort of represent the face of up and coming Democrats. A huge number of his supporters are young. As the current younger generations, millennials, replace Generation X and the Baby Boomers, we can expect more Democrats like Bernie Sanders to be supported. Why then does the DNC so desperately want Hillary, who represents an older wing of Democratic policy?

Because the leaders of the DNC are Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. She represents THEIR values.
IMO It has nothing to do with what Bernie or anyone else represents.

It's a good old-fashioned powerplay by the Clintons and their allies. They've used promises of appointments, threats of retribution and a host of other tactics within the democratic party to stack the deck and make sure that nobody, regardless of their politics, upsets her bid like in 2008.

They've secured behind the scenes that Hillary will win the democratic nomination before the voting ever started.

I think that the push for Bernie is partially fear of what Hillary will do when he pro-biz, pro-wallstreet views line up with the Republican house and Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies