Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:46 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Texas is a red state and it will continue to be red for a long time.
That is true, as long as the voter participation stays one of the lowest in the country, it will continue to stay red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 05:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenConcern7557 View Post
Historically Texas is BLUE. Gerrymandering has caused it to appear RED.
How does gerrymandering effect statewide races which always favor the Republican?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:36 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 67 y.o., a 5th-generation Texan, and both my & DH's families have a long history of running for and serving in public office (county and state level) so I grasp TX politics better than your average C-D bear.

The overwhelming majority of TX Democrats remain solidly traditional and moderate and support Hillary Clinton. But we consider ourselves a "big-tent" party and welcome more left-leaning Democrats into the fold. Sometimes they feel at home with us, sometimes they don't. Their choice, we keep the light on for them.

Voter registration drives are a time-honored traditional Texas Democratic endeavor. I've participated in them off-and-on since 1968. We believe voting is a fundamental right and that more voters turning out is good for the country.

What really separates us (i.e. traditional TX Dems) from leftists is the same thing that separates us from Republicans: we actually enjoy the political process, rough-and-tumble though it gets at times, and we don't get all butt-hurt when our candidates lose. Actually most of us get more upset when our sports teams lose, and you can criticize our candidates but not our beloved Spurs or Rangers or whatever. That's about as Traditional Texas as you get!

Now, you scoot off and lecture someone else..
Awww...how folksy. Dontcha just luv it when the "traditionalist" communists vote for whatever bought and sold, twice-over criminal, pro-illegal, open borders trotskyist is pre-nominated by super delegates? This type of support for anti-Americans just makes yer heart warm for Amurica... Yeeehaw!!!! Go Cowboys and go BLM!!! didlydingdingdilydingdingdooo!!!

Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Talking Stop feeding this troll

Please...

Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,909 times
I'm surprised that no one addressed the issue of gerrymandering.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:59 PM

409 posts, read 258,779 times
Quote:
Probably because most people are smart enough to realize you can't gerrymander a statewide election, something Democrats haven't won in Texas since the early 90's.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
See my post...#102. How does gerrymandering explain Republicans win all statewide posts and the Republican nominee has not lost Texas since I believe 1964.

Let me correct myself, Carter won Texas in 1976.

Last edited by whogo; 02-27-2016 at 08:37 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Probably because most people are smart enough to realize you can't gerrymander a statewide election, something Democrats haven't won in Texas since the early 90's.
Obviously one person ain't.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:00 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,183 times
Default A district for Gerry shaped like a lizard, look at a map of Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How does gerrymandering effect statewide races which always favor the Republican?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
See my post...#102. How does gerrymandering explain Republicans win all statewide posts and the Republican nominee has not lost Texas since I believe 1964.

Let me correct myself, Carter won Texas in 1976.
Gerrymandering allows for more representatives to the state legislature and to the US Congress to be Republican than would otherwise be the case. One famous example: the number Tom Delay did on Austin's congressional representation. Austin is represented by a slew of hillbillies from out of town; each little sliver of Austin's democratic majority is swamped by a bunch of rural and suburban voters from as far away as Katy, Ft. Worth and San Antonio. Even the lone Austin Democrat, Lloyd Doggett, was supposed to have been outgunned by Mexican-American voters from outside of Austin in Republican Tom Delay's racist worldview ("Mexicans won't vote for a whitey"). He miscalculated there, but on the whole, his cynical redistricting plan (done non-traditionally inbetween the ten year censuses) has worked to give way too much representation to Republicans, considering that five out of six of Texas' largest cities went for a Democrat in the last presidential election.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:22 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,183 times
Don't forget to vote today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies