Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:44 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,080,623 times

Advertisements

Boeing is building a plant in China.

Boeing to Build its First Offshore Plane Factory in China as Ex-Im Bank Withers
Forbes Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 09:46 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,898,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Boeing is building a plant in China.

Boeing to Build its First Offshore Plane Factory in China as Ex-Im Bank Withers
Forbes Welcome
Boeing will be giving away their secrets. China is infamous for stealing trade secrets that way.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I don't think corporate taxes can get any lower. Every state has major incentives for people to do business there.

Severely tax CEOs who lay off workers just to increase profits by a fraction of a percentage point and increase year-end bonuses for themselves. Same goes for switching over to automation. Machines don't buy goods nor pay taxes. They contribute nothing but dysfunction to a society for the most part. Maybe make it a flat out crime to continue these practices?
CEOs are employed to execute one primary responsibility, increase shareholder value.

Seems you are suggesting a US corporation be required to forgo productivity in favor of jobs. How exactly would these companies compete in a global marketplace with such shackles?

Guess we could revert back to a primarily argriculture society where 80% of the people were engaged in surplus food production to feed the 20% who are otherwise engaged in other business.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,153,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
CEOs are employed to execute one primary responsibility, increase shareholder value.

Seems you are suggesting a US corporation be required to forgo productivity in favor of jobs. How exactly would these companies compete in a global marketplace with such shackles?

Guess we could revert back to a primarily argriculture society where 80% of the people were engaged in surplus food production to feed the 20% who are otherwise engaged in other business.
Well, since it sounds like your job could move to China one day...okies! I guess agriculture could be your best bet, I don't know. Maybe you will join the great exodus and move to China yourself, I don't know.

It seems to me that I am supporting what benefits the most of US society. In the end, 172K jobs is not much to lose compared to what has already been lost over the past couple decades.

You certainly don't have to agree.

I find it interesting you point to Wall Street in your first sentence. Is Wall Street suffering? Nope, they just had a great year. Why isn't everyone sharing in that great year?

These are just my ponderings and opinions though. They mean nothing, lol.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:15 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,118,410 times
- Pay higher wages to atract smarter guys.
- Train the employees better.
- Invest in a higher degree of automatization.
- Invest in product quality and design.
- Reduce high profit margins.
- Treat the workers better, they are the biggest asset, not the investors.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think its over due to the high cost of living in the us and low skills required by manufacturing jobs. Anything that can be cheaply shipped back to US will probably be manufactured out side the US.

In the 70's it was different. In my school district it was required to have ; drafting, plastics, woodworking, welding, metals, electronics, small engine , large engine shop classes. All to prepared us for entry level jobs in the manufacturing plants in the industrial district.
The best paying jobs I see are for plant maintenance, production managers, machine operators and machine mechanics. All the rest are low paying. The manufacturing process has changed too much due to better machines that need less people to operate them.
I went to high school in the 70's. No one was required to take " shop". The plethora of such classes you mention did not exist in my school district, the third largest in the US. Girls were strongly encouraged to take typing and were evaluated on WPM. A so called vocational school existed to teach girls secretarial skills so they may qualify for entry level office jobs ala, 9-5 or Mad Men. They were required to wear white gloves and hats at all times. My mother begged me to enroll so that I may have something to fall back on. I declined. Thank Gawd.

Today's factories are not our daddy's factories. Modern factories rely on technology and substantially fewer humans to remain productive and competitive. Offices no longer need armies of women typing and filing in middle economic class jobs, while waiting for some guy to marry.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:20 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,629,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I'm sure it won't be the most popular idea, but we need to examine the current effect of unions. There are many jobs that have highly inflated wages for no other reason than union representation. This is not the final word by any measure, but we need to recognize some people aren't worth what they're being paid.

Mean? Maybe. Truth? Unfortunately.

Added:

I'm all for a honest wage for honest work. I don't think someone should work 40 hours and still need government assistance. I also don't believe someone should be able to bleed a company for "medical leave" because they're going to rehab for the 3rd time. If you're doing coke or heroin, GFY. I'm not paying you your salary to sit in rehab.

I don't hate unions, but I think their original purpose is no longer as relevant as it was.

Bring the hate.
I live outside a city that was an industrial icon back in the day. I see the need every day for unions. The abandoned factories once allowed men to hold jobs that covered their family's healthcare, own a home, and normally have a wife home to raise the kids. When I hear people say "oh those people need to find jobs", well the jobs aren't there. Any job like that has crappy if any benefits and pays minimum wage. Top off those companies constantly being sold and the workers being laid off with each transaction...well, it's not good. As a nurse, I take care of patients who had those jobs and those that maintained their union benefits have terrific coverage. What's ironic is they are the same people who want unions gone, want everyone to pay their own way, and don't want their taxes used to clean up those decaying factories.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I went to high school in the 70's. No one was required to take " shop". The plethora of such classes you mention did not exist in my school district, the third largest in the US. Mileage varies.

Today's factories are not our daddy's factories. Modern factories rely on technology and substantially fewer humans to remain productive and competitive.
Today's business also don't train people on the job which they used to...a travesty if you ask me. Then they complain that the current group of high school grads aren't ready for the work force. Such hypocrites.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,898,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Today's business also don't train people on the job which they used to...a travesty if you ask me. Then they complain that the current group of high school grads aren't ready for the work force. Such hypocrites.
Some don't. Many do. Kimberly Clark, Dupont, P&G etc all do. I work for a company that makes pack systems. We do a ton of OJT and yes we export a lot of our systems. Thats why I get to travel as much as I do.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Some don't. Many do. Kimberly Clark, Dupont, P&G etc all do. I work for a company that makes pack systems. We do a ton of OJT and yes we export a lot of our systems. Thats why I get to travel as much as I do.
Good to know. I've seen companies simply rotate interns through positions. It's pretty disgusting if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies