Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:40 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
So you would contend that the President and HIS policies have more to do with the economy than Congress or the Fed? If so, I'm curious, perhaps you can explain to me, specifically what Obama has done. Not what he is taking credit for but what HE has specifically done. Perhaps you can explain to me "specifically" what Bush did to cause the downturn because I can think of many things that led to it that had nothing to do with Bush.
Tax increases for the rich effective 2013 for one to narrow our deficit. +1 obama

Bush caused the greatest calamity of the 21st century by starting a needless war in Iraq. -1 bush

I find it HILARIOUSLY that now that obama sits on one of the best job expansions our country has seen you want to attribute it to our obstructive congress. Spare me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 10:46 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
There is no such thing as a cyclical recession. Bad economies don't just happen. They happen for a reason and it is called government intervention in the free market.
The economy is still weak and we are still at war in the Middle East.
Are you serious?

1929 happened because of a total, unregulated free market approach. 2008 was the same thing on a smaller scale.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:05 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Reagan ran up the debt to 280% of GDP.

Obama 100% of GDP.

Not exactly equal is it?

It`s also exactly not true.

The federal debt to GDP ratio in January 1989 was 49.6%.

When Reagan took office, the federal debt to GDP ratio was 30.8%.

That is an increase of 18.8% in eight years with low unemployment and rising incomes.

When Obama took office, the federal debt to GDP ratio was 77.4%.

Today, the federal debt to GDP ratio is 100.5%.

That is an increase of 23.1% in seven years and all we have to show for it is a ****ty job market and lower median family incomes than when Obama took office.

Debt to GDP Ratio Historical Chart | MacroTrends

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred.../MEHOINUSA672N

Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Excuse for what? He came along after the one-off gains, and had to clean up the situation left behind.

How`s that cleaning up going?

Five Years Of Recovery Haven’t Boosted The Median Household Income | FiveThirtyEight

Old 02-17-2016, 11:09 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Tax increases for the rich effective 2013 for one to narrow our deficit. +1 obama

Bush caused the greatest calamity of the 21st century by starting a needless war in Iraq. -1 bush

I find it HILARIOUSLY that now that obama sits on one of the best job expansions our country has seen you want to attribute it to our obstructive congress. Spare me.
To the extent our economy has improved due to government, it is 100% due to the obstructive Congress. When we had a Dem Congress in the last 2 years of Bush and first 2 years of Obama, we had the worst economy ever, since Republicans took over in Odummys 3rd year, the economy has continuously improved. I find it hilarious that you would try to attribute anything good to Obama.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:49 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Reagan was good for "the economy" and terrible for "my economy" because rents necessarily skyrocketed.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
People still believe that BS?! Didn't hindsight mean anything to you?

Reagan's years were financed by heavy debt?! It's a mirage. People like you are bitching that Obama's borrowing is too high, but Reagan ran it up to almost 200% (!!) MORE than Obama compared to the GDP.

And of course, it all came crashing down during the Bush Sr's term, who inherited Reagan's mess and didn't know how to fix it.

Reagan increased the debt to GDP ratio by 18.8% in eight years and gave us a great job market and rising incomes.

Obama increased the debt to GDP ratio by 23.1% in seven years and all we have to show for it is a ****ty job market and lower median family incomes than when he took office.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Rather poorly, largely due to congress being full of people whose #1 stated goal was to make him a "one term president", rather than something like -- oh i don't know -- doing something about stagnant wages?

Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Reagan increased the debt to GDP ratio by 18.8% in eight years and gave us a great job market and rising incomes.

Obama increased the debt to GDP ratio by 23.1% in seven years and all we have to show for it is a ****ty job market and lower median family incomes than when he took office.

How was Reagans economy good? His first two years were terrible, and his 5th and 6th year were nothing to boast about either. He can get a pass on 1981 but 1982 was 100% on him and millions of jobs were lost that year. Reagan also added 300,000 government jobs annually to the economy. The public sector has shrunk under Obama! Obama is on set to beat reagan on private sector job growth.

Reagan had high unemployment thoughout his presidency, all the while we had skyrocketing crime, and HIV epidemic, teen pregnancys through the roof.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:36 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We were young adults in the 60s and certainly the economy under Nixon was doing just fine. Property values went up, salaries were good and if you had a decent education or belonged to a union jobs were plentiful. Reagan, after he was in office long enough to clean up the Carter mess brought interest rates down and the economy overall was good. Not until the end of the Bush era did the unemployment rate start to go up, it got worse under Obama for several years, but regardless, let's always remember recessions have their hills and valleys, rarely can we blame all of it on a single administration.
Reagan era, my recollections: step-father, a skilled engineer employed all his life since serving in the Pacific War of 1941-1945, was laid off in his early 60's, never to find work again. I, taking out my first commercial mortgage in 1983, got an interest rate of 13.5 percent! It was an ARM and if I remember correctly, the rate stayed high throughout the '80's as the number of banks and S & L's that serviced the loan climbed towards a dozen; this was in the days of loan coupon books and it got messy!

We were lucky and hung on. A lot of people didn't. Union jobs were lost, along with the good pay and work rules that made those jobs suitable for raising a family. Beggars starting showing up on every street corner in suburban Texas; a new twist that made us look like Europe after WW II, and they've never left the scene.
Nowadays, low wage part time jobs, working on weekends and nights etc, has become the norm for many. A lot of that got its start under good old Raygun, who had a hard-on for unions, middle-class wages for blue collar jobs, and for working people in general.

I guess Reagan was good for some people, but I don't know any of them, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies