Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 03:47 PM

89,106 posts, read 44,928,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
That's ridiculously incorrect. Harvard College does not offer BS degrees in any of its science programs.
Why do they require fewer Math and Science courses for a bachelor's degree in a Science discipline than other major universities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 03:57 PM

Example of the difference between a BA and a BS degree:
Quote:
Bachelor of Arts Degree:
  • is usually less specialized than a Bachelor of Science degree.
  • requires a minimum of 180 quarter units for the degree; 36 units are required in the major, of which at least 18 units are at the 300-400 level.
  • is normally awarded in such majors as the languages, literature, other humanities, and history.
Bachelor of Science Degree:
  • typically involves technical fields.
  • requires a minimum of 180 quarter units for the degree; 54 units are required in the major, of which at least 27 quarter units are at the of 300-400 level.
  • is normally awarded in such majors as the physical and biological sciences, engineering, and agriculture.
BA/BS, Difference Between Degrees - Academic Programs and Planning - Cal Poly

Old 02-20-2016, 04:23 PM

34,082 posts, read 17,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Right now, today, college students can get student loans and make up to 150% of federal poverty level without ever having to repay one dime - and also have their loan balance forgiven after 20-30 years.

Is this a great country or what?

150% of poverty income is hardly what they went to school for. What will they do for housing on that-rent a room?

we recognize and admit that you failed to utilize your college education. Most college grads do far better than you, and, even most hs grads most likely earn more.

When you are jealous of a program to aid those at this pithy income level, you displayed your biggest problem.your failure to utilize your degree.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:46 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,358,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Example of the difference between a BA and a BS degree:
BA/BS, Difference Between Degrees - Academic Programs and Planning - Cal Poly
You are missing the point. A BA or BS has nothing to do with what is and what is not a liberal arts major. As you can see by my name, I have a liberal arts degree. It's a science degree. My undergraduate degree was, in fact, a BS. But it's still a liberal arts degree simply because Physics is a liberal art.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:52 PM

32,118 posts, read 15,107,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Like I said, there's a significant difference between a BA (Bachelor of Arts) and a BS (Bachelor of Science) degree.

It is true, however, that liberal arts colleges generally only offer BA degrees in Science disciplines (and offer only a select few at that). That's because they tend to be much smaller than universities and simply do not have the science facilities necessary for higher level lab-intensive science classes.
No there isn't. A BA requires a language. BS doesn't.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,495,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
150% of poverty income is hardly what they went to school for. What will they do for housing on that-rent a room?

we recognize and admit that you failed to utilize your college education. Most college grads do far better than you, and, even most hs grads most likely earn more.

When you are jealous of a program to aid those at this pithy income level, you displayed your biggest problem.your failure to utilize your degree.

Aw shucks, I dunno what they will do for housing on that, but I don't make as much as they and I rent a room in an overcrowded house with one bathroom. Since I'm repaying my student loan and they are not, I find it hard to have sympathy for them.

I'm jealous of them only because I am repaying my student loan while they are not repaying, even though they have more income than I. On top of that, they can continue to earn more than I and live better than I and yet have their loans forgiven without ever repaying one dime.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
You are missing the point. A BA or BS has nothing to do with what is and what is not a liberal arts major. As you can see by my name, I have a liberal arts degree. It's a science degree. My undergraduate degree was, in fact, a BS.
Exactly. Bachelor of SCIENCE, not Bachelor of Arts. There is a significant difference between the two. I've already given an example.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No there isn't. A BA requires a language. BS doesn't.
BS degrees actually do require a foreign language. That's not the difference. Look at the example I posted.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:01 AM

The way Boston College explains the difference in Psychology degrees:
Quote:
The Psychology Department offers two majors: The Psychology Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) major, and the Psychology Bachelor of Science (B.S.) major. Both degree options introduce students to the broad range of topics that psychologists study, while also allowing students to choose an individualized course of study and focus on some aspects of psychology in greater depth. Both options allow students to gain research experience working in one or more of our psychology labs.

The Psychology B.A. major is particularly suited to students who wish to understand human behavior and mental functioning at the behavioral level. Students will take Psychology courses relevant to social, developmental, and cognitive psychology and will learn how animal models can be used to inform human behavior. Together these courses will provide students with an appreciation for the theories that have been put forth to explain human behavior and for the importance of considering clinical, cultural, social, and developmental factors when trying to understand why humans think, feel, and act as they do.

The Psychology B.S. major is particularly suited to students who wish to explore the brain mechanisms of human and animal behavior and mental functioning. Students will take courses from the Psychology, Biology, and Chemistry Departments that are related to evolution, genetics, physiology, neurobiology, and the neural basis of higher cognitive and emotional processes in humans. Together these courses will provide students with a strong foundation in the neurobiological processes that underlie behavior, motivation, and cognition. Pre-med students who are interested in majoring in Psychology are advised to pursue the Psychology B.S major.
The Psychology Majors - Psychology Department - Boston College

The BA is Sociology/Humanities approach. The BS is a Scientific approach, and recommended if one wishes to advance to Med School. The two degrees are not equal and in fact are not viewed as such by either med schools or employers.

I have NO idea why so many of you are under the impression that there are not significant between the two degrees.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:12 AM

Same with Biology...
Quote:
The Biology Department offers two undergraduate degree programs.

Biology B.S. Major

The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology is a structured program for biology majors who are interested in pursuing those aspects of the field that require a strong background knowledge in physics, chemistry, and mathematics and for students who want to fulfill pre-medical/pre-dental requirements.

Biology B.A. Major

The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Biology is a flexible program that can prepare students for graduate school in the life sciences or can be integrated with other areas including law, ethics, history, sociology, computer science, and management.

Students should note that, unlike the BS program, the BA program does not fulfill medical school admission requirements.
Biology Majors - Biology - Boston College

Again, significant differences between the two degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies