Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I generally dislike Apple, but Apple had nothing to do with this.

Blame the dumb celebs for using weak passwords and weak password reset questions.
And I also blame companies like Apple for not making passwords need numbers, capital letters and letters for that. I mean can you blame celebrities using simple passwords when most people do use password, Batman and starwars and email providers, forums, etc. don't ask for special characters and numbers?

FYI it was apparently phishing scams by would be hackers. FBI Has Named Hacker allegedly responsible for The Fappening Leaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
I'm so sad for the future of this country when I read comments like this. I find it comical that most of the gun toting anti-government folk are so anti-Apple and anti-encryption.
Sorry that I don't fit into your stereotype, but I agree with the government here. The right to privacy goes out the window when one has committed a crime - or when there is reasonable suspicion to that effect. Your person, home, car, office, financial records, computer files, etc... are all subject to search and seizure with a court order/warrant (which isn't obtainable without reasonable cause). A cell phone should not be an exception. If the exception is made then it means that criminals will use their cell phone for more criminal activity and record keeping.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thus far:

Both Trump and Cruz have taken the position that Apple must unlock this phone.

Rubio is wishy- washy.

I am not aware if the question has been posed to Hillary or Bernie.

Moronic stance. I don't want the government to have a key to my front door or my backdoor.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:25 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Sorry that I don't fit into your stereotype, but I agree with the government here. The right to privacy goes out the window when one has committed a crime - or when there is reasonable suspicion to that effect. Your person, home, car, office, financial records, computer files, etc... are all subject to search and seizure with a court order/warrant (which isn't obtainable without reasonable cause). A cell phone should not be an exception. If the exception is made then it means that criminals will use their cell phone for more criminal activity and record keeping.
Except they are talking about a secret backdoor which would allow them to circumvent the usual warrant process.

No thanks.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:28 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
This isn't about individual rights. By complying with the government to allow access to this one phone, Apple will be compromising the security of EVERY iPhone owner. Do you really think that going after one terrorist is worth the possible invasion of privacy for 10s of millions of Americans? Especially when you consider the fact that getting into the phone may still present them with the fact that the data they are looking for (such as text messages) may be secured by yet another encrypted password...possibly on an app developed by a party in another country that has ZERO obligation or desire to comply with US law enforcement?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
When one commits a crime. The problem is this will open the door to every single person with a phone having an open backdoor sitting out there for not only the govt but hackers/exploiters etc to take advantage of.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:12 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If they don't have the ability to reverse engineer then they should just state that, I don't know that is the case.
They weren't asked to reverse engineer, they were asked to circumvent their own security, which is why not surprisingly they have no means to do so, because that would be compromising their own security. However knuckledraggers in the FBI don't seem to know or care, if they're so gung-ho on getting this data then there are people who can be contracted to do what they're asking, they don't come cheap, but Apple will be required to pay a minimum of $1M per week for an engineering solution, probably 2-3 times that cost.

Quote:
They want access to this one single phone if that impacts all that is a different story.
No they want access to all phones, because they're indistinguishable.

Question for you, how many operating systems does Apple engineer? I'll tell you, one. You engineer one operating system then replicate it out the Wazoo. Google does the same with Android, and Microsoft with Windows (even more so with Windows 10 being Xbox One, Phone, Tablet and PC). If they circumvent the security on one operating system, then how many operating systems does it compromise? Every single replicated copy, because they all function identically and all are compromised. Apple sold 18.75M iPhones second quarter of FY2011, the total number of just iPhones runs into 50-100M units and every single one of them still in operation will be compromised. So the question is, which is more important, the potential for some suspect data on one iPhone that can only have ever been generated and stored on that iPhone, or a security compromise affecting up to 100M people worldwide? Then there is another thing to consider, what lawsuits would complying introduce to Apple (or any other company being forced to comply) from foreign countries and courts for any real or perceived injury this requirement causes?

Quote:
There is a long history of companies assisting law enforcement and compliance with warrants.
This isn't providing data that they have, this is them engineering a bypass to their security in their operating system. Completely different scenario's.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Interesting decision, that's for sure.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
I generally dislike Apple, but Apple had nothing to do with this.

Blame the dumb celebs for using weak passwords and weak password reset questions.
Actually the purpose is to prevent dictionary/brute force attacks, those types of attacks can be successful against a strong password if it's short enough. You need short enough passwords that can be remembered for it to be practical.

On recent computers they have what is called a TPM and if you don't have one you'll probably have a TPM port to install one. Not sure what Apple is using but it will be same thing. This is a tamper proof device tied to that device's hardware and works at the lowest level of the computer. It does a variety of things like storing encryption keys that are going to be some ridiculous length making brute force attacks impractical by any stretch of the imagination. That is what is used is used to encrypt the data.

If you want an analogy here you can think of your data being in a safe better than Fort Knox with a key that weighs 100 pounds. It's impractical to carry around a 100 pound key so we store it in a weaker safe by the door (The TPM). Since the TPM is weaker safer we set a limit on how many times you can put in a password to prevent dictionary/brute force attacks. If there is failed attempt you don't even need to delete the data, the key goes *poof*.

It's very possible Apple can't do what they asking of them even if they wanted too. If they can that means it's flawed product.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-18-2016 at 01:13 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 04:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Apple isn't an arm of law enforcement. If the government wants the info, has a warrant, it's up to them to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies