Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 05:19 PM

7,484 posts, read 6,269,896 times

Advertisements

I had to go back to the beginning of this thread, I had forgotten what the topic was.
Should veterans from the era of an all-volunteer military be treated so reverently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 06:16 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,064,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurPan View Post
I don't have an opinion on this, but I'm curious.

There's a lot of talk about vets in the American public square, and a great deal of reverence in some quarters. Should veterans from an era of all-volunteer military be thought of and treated quite as reverently as those who served because they were drafted? Why or why not?

What do you think of the argument that since service is entirely voluntary, veterans don't necessarily deserve as many benefits as their predecessors once they return to civilian life?

I'm not talking about care for harm that came to them during their service. That's clearly owed them. But should their voice mean any more as a socio-political group than any other?
All veterans should be treated reverently, all of them, no matter how they entered the service.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:02 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,358,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Take a break and do us both a favor. Rather than continuously interpreting and restating my position in your words, just read mine. What I wrote is what I believe and why. If you don't agree with me. That's fine. If you don't understand, I can accept that as well, but please just take my words verbatim rather than interpret them and restate them as you do, because most of the time you don't do a good job of expressing my opinion accurately. Your first sentence here again, pretty bad. Stating my position is my job. Read MY words if you want to understand me or maybe you can't understand my words, but either way, and with all due respect, I'm done trying.

I think it's all unnecessary anyway. The only thing that matters is whether or not you support the initiation of force.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,388,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The only thing that matters is whether or not you support the initiation of force.
Which he clearly does (post #121).

LOL.

Statism is so woven into the mind you can't see the hypocrisy from the inside.

If you take 100 situations of potential force, make sure the word "government" or "state" or "majority rule", etc is not used and then ask 4 statists if it's a force scenario they will answer with a number.

60 out of 100

42 out of 100

2 out of 100

100 out of 100

Fair enough. That't their opinion.

Then go back and insert one of those key words into the scenarios and re-ask the question and the statist will say

59 out of 100

41 out of 100

1 out of 100

99 out of 100

Logic and consistency: enemy of the statist since day #1.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:31 PM

31 posts, read 21,878 times
ANYONE who served in the military should be treated with respect and they are owed our thanks.

They should also be given all the benefits that they EARNED (can you say VA?)

Old 03-04-2016, 09:22 AM

29,553 posts, read 9,745,466 times
Default Clearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Which he clearly does (post #121).

LOL.

Statism is so woven into the mind you can't see the hypocrisy from the inside.

If you take 100 situations of potential force, make sure the word "government" or "state" or "majority rule", etc is not used and then ask 4 statists if it's a force scenario they will answer with a number.

60 out of 100

42 out of 100

2 out of 100

100 out of 100

Fair enough. That't their opinion.

Then go back and insert one of those key words into the scenarios and re-ask the question and the statist will say

59 out of 100

41 out of 100

1 out of 100

99 out of 100

Logic and consistency: enemy of the statist since day #1.
If this is logic, then I suppose I am the enemy, and maybe the Earth is flat, but I think the real enemy here is lack of comprehension...

To speak in terms of this new "logic," on a scale of 1 to 100, full comprehension at 100, we're talking about a 2 or 3 I think, at best.

However, I do appreciate drawing our attention to my comment #121, because as I read each of those words again carefully, they do pretty well explain my position, that's what should be most clear to the one or two most concerned or interested here, despite all the varied interpretations and inserted words thereof (and with all due respect to the array of numbers provided above).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies