Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 04:42 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,434,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Seriously? Your proof that I am wrong is a link to one out of probably 100 + check cashing places?

No I.D.? No problem. That has been our specialty since the 1970s when we first started cashing checks. Our professional staff members have several different ways to get you identified and get you your cash as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 04:55 PM

89,326 posts, read 45,071,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Seriously? Your proof that I am wrong is a link to one out of probably 100 + check cashing places?
Over 350 locations, actually.
Quote:
"The first neighborhood Currency Exchange in Illinois opened in 1937 to assist community residents with a variety of financial needs. Over 75 years later, the number of neighborhood Currency Exchanges has grown to more than 350 locations. While more locations and services have been added over the years, our commitment to serving all members of each and every community has never changed."
» About Us

And those are the check cashing service facilities in Illinois. That's right, blue state Illinois requires a government-issued photo ID to cash a check at a Currency Exchange. How on earth are all those supposedly incapable of acquiring a photo ID poor cashing their checks?

Meanwhile, you cite a "store" that has only 24 locations.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:53 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,782,733 times
Quote:
No. A certified BC is accepted.
Depends a great deal on which state you are in. Most want a certified original, not a certified copy.

-Certified original is issued from the county of origin or in some cases the state (which means the state does not issue certified copies). Certified copy is issued by the state of origin, and has no guarantee that the original birth certificate from the county exists. Some states (California and Texas in particular) issue an abstract of birth if issued from the state, which is a lower level than a certified copy.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you do not have photo ID there is going to be many things you will not be able to do like get on a plane. The BC requirement for the the ID is federal law, these laws are recent and the intent is to prevent fraudulent ID's.

That said here in PA they were offering voting only ID's that required less documentation like a tax return, bank statement etc. They were also good for 10 years.
You can get on a plane without photo ID too, even now. You have to go through secondary screening to do it.

The PA law only allowed a voter ID if you had no social security number (so basically certain elderly). It had no exceptions for people like me who had no certified birth certificate but had an SSN.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Over 350 locations, actually.
» About Us

And those are the check cashing service facilities in Illinois. That's right, blue state Illinois requires a government-issued photo ID to cash a check at a Currency Exchange. How on earth are all those supposedly incapable of acquiring a photo ID poor cashing their checks?

Meanwhile, you cite a "store" that has only 24 locations.
I lived in Hyde Park when I had no ID, and had absolutely no trouble cashing my check. I eventually learned that the University of Chicago would cash any payroll check if you had secondary documentation on file with them. They cashed the checks on Friday out of a van north of the Regenstein Library.
The state of Illinois has no such requirement.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:27 PM

858 posts, read 709,608 times
I'm a liberal and I have no problem with voter ID laws. What I do have a problem with is how Republicans are trying to implement it. They want to pass a law and give voters as little time as possible to comply. I think that's wrong. What they should do is pass the law but not impose it until the 2020 election. Everything should continue as is for 2016 but make sure everyone knows about the new law when they vote. Give out flyers, have banners, etc. Ask for ID but if people don't have it, allow them to vote and give them a flyer. You should not deny people the right to vote however by 2020, i think it's their own fault if they haven't read the flyers, the mailers, read a newspaper, watched the news, etc.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,170,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In addition, Judge McGinley ruled, the state’s $5 million campaign to explain the law had been full of misinformation that has never been corrected.
The law was passed around March of that year. It was thoroughly covered in the media, they sent a letter to every registered voter that did not have state issued ID, there was lengthy ad campaign and they were requesting but not requiring ID's at the polls first at the primaries and then at the general while the law was being reviewed in court. If the law had gone into affect and you somehow managed to miss this massive amount information you could of voted with a provisional ballot. If you did not understand that you needed ID for voting at that point you have the IQ of a turnip and probably should not be voting anyway.

Quote:
He also said that the free IDs that were supposed to be made available to those without driver’s licenses or other approved photo identification were difficult and sometimes impossible to obtain.
BS, this process was fairly straight forward. This was a one stop trip. You went to licensing center, if you did not have the birth certificate they would first try and obtain it for you for free. If that failed they moved onto issuing the voting only ID. I forget the exact requirements but you needed two forms of documentation like tax return, bank statement, utility bill etc. If for any reason they could not issue the ID at that point they would take your picture and send you home. The ID would be mailed if they were able to resolve the issue or you may have had to go back.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-13-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-13-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The PA law only allowed a voter ID if you had no social security number (so basically certain elderly). It had no exceptions for people like me who had no certified birth certificate but had an SSN.
That is 100% wrong, the voting only ID was implemented specifically for people without a birth certificate.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I'm a liberal and I have no problem with voter ID laws. What I do have a problem with is how Republicans are trying to implement it. They want to pass a law and give voters as little time as possible to comply.
In PA you had about 9 months warning.

Quote:
Ask for ID but if people don't have it, allow them to vote and give them a flyer.
They did this in PA during the primary, you want to guess who tried to prevent them from doing that?

Old 03-13-2016, 08:28 AM

89,326 posts, read 45,071,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Depends a great deal on which state you are in. Most want a certified original, not a certified copy.

-Certified original is issued from the county of origin or in some cases the state (which means the state does not issue certified copies). Certified copy is issued by the state of origin, and has no guarantee that the original birth certificate from the county exists. Some states (California and Texas in particular) issue an abstract of birth if issued from the state, which is a lower level than a certified copy.
That makes no sense. There's any number of reasons a person doesn't have their certified original birth certificate. A certified COPY with a raised seal is acceptable for everything from Obama submitting it as evidence of his birth in Hawaii (Obama did not submit the original certified BC, which would NOT have been printed on green safety paper) to applying for and acquiring a US passport.

Quote:
Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (You must submit one of the following. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable):
  • Previously issued, undamaged, and fully valid U.S. Passport (5 year for minors or 10 years for adults)
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate (must meet all of the following requirements):
    • Issued by the City, County, or State of birth
    • Lists bearer's full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists parent(s) full names
    • Has date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has registrar's signature
    • Has embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal of registrar
A certified copy of one's BC has all of the above.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...irst-time.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies