Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:33 AM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I lived in Hyde Park when I had no ID, and had absolutely no trouble cashing my check. I eventually learned that the University of Chicago would cash any payroll check if you had secondary documentation on file with them.
Firstly, why didn't you have an ID? And secondly... What "secondary documentation on file with them?"

The U of C "check cashing van" in one location wasn't accessible to everyone in Illinois with no ID who needed to cash a check.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 03-13-2016 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 09:44 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That is 100% wrong, the voting only ID was implemented specifically for people without a birth certificate.
And no ssn. If you had an ssn, you were required to have a birth certificate to get ID.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Firstly, why didn't you have an ID? And secondly... What "secondary documentation on file with them?"

The U of C "check cashing van" in one location wasn't accessible to everyone in Illinois with no ID who needed to cash a check.
I had an ID, a student ID and a voter registration card. I did not have a state issued photo ID.

Secondary Documenation:
"School ID card with a photograph
Voter’s registration card
U.S.military card or draft record
Military dependent’s ID card
U.S.Coast Guard Merchant Mariners Document (MMD) Card
Native American tribal document
Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority"

You are missing the point that if the U of C check cashing van could cash my check without photo ID, then there is no Illinois law requiring photo ID to cash a check like you claim.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
That makes no sense. There's any number of reasons a person doesn't have their certified original birth certificate. A certified COPY with a raised seal is acceptable for everything from Obama submitting it as evidence of his birth in Hawaii (Obama did not submit the original certified BC, which would NOT have been printed on green safety paper) to applying for and acquiring a US passport.

[/list]A certified copy of one's BC has all of the above.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...irst-time.html
This is just a difference in terminology. What you are referring to is what most states call a certified original. I think when I say "original" you are thinking of the actual document filed by the delivering doctor.

What most states call a certified copy is a birth certificate produced when the original birth certificate cannot be found, aka abstract of birth. While still an official birth certificate, they are not accepted in many states for obtaining ID (and not acceptable for obtaining a passport). Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_...of_short_forms

This is exactly what the state of California issued me, and all they would issue me, for years because my original birth certificate was no longer on file in Santa Clara County. (Eventually, Santa Clara "found" my birth certificate on my third or fourth attempt to order from them directly and issued me a full long form. This was after California passed new laws eliminating the abstract of birth.) Just do some research on california, or texas, abstract of birth to get an idea of the ordeal some people have gone through.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Over 350 locations, actually.
» About Us

Meanwhile, you cite a "store" that has only 24 locations.
24 locations, that describe and sound like money laundering.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You can get on a plane without photo ID too, even now. You have to go through secondary screening to do it.

The PA law only allowed a voter ID if you had no social security number (so basically certain elderly). It had no exceptions for people like me who had no certified birth certificate but had an SSN.

My sister got a DWI, just before my dad passed away. I got her a plane ticket round trip to dads funeral in Florida. They took her license/only ID. We had hell getting her to Florida on time, but she did get there.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I lived in Hyde Park when I had no ID, and had absolutely no trouble cashing my check. I eventually learned that the University of Chicago would cash any payroll check if you had secondary documentation on file with them. They cashed the checks on Friday out of a van north of the Regenstein Library.
The state of Illinois has no such requirement.

That secondary documentation, required ID/birth Certificate.
Kinda like you don't need an ID buy a gun(no waiting period) if you already have a valid CCW(secondary documentation). Which was obtained using an ID.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I had an ID, a student ID and a voter registration card. I did not have a state issued photo ID.

Secondary Documenation:
"School ID card with a photograph
Voter’s registration card
U.S.military card or draft record
Military dependent’s ID card
U.S.Coast Guard Merchant Mariners Document (MMD) Card
Native American tribal document
Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority"
Now you're saying you had an ID (Your statement elaborated: I had this, this and this.). What was it?

And student IDs have a photo on them, no? Mine did over 30 years ago when I was in college, and my kids' did when they were in college in the late/early 2000s/2010s.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
They want to pass a law and give voters as little time as possible to comply. I think that's wrong.
The law here was passed a full year before it was put into action.
We actually voted on it and it became an amendment to our state constitution, not just some vague statutory law.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
This is just a difference in terminology. What you are referring to is what most states call a certified original.
No, it's actually called a certified COPY:
Quote:
"Under state law, you may legally obtain a certified copy of your own birth certificate if of legal age and/or the birth certificate of your child (your name must appear on the child's birth certificate)."
Birth Certificates

Quote:
What most states call a certified copy is a birth certificate produced when the original birth certificate cannot be found, aka abstract of birth. While still an official birth certificate, they are not accepted in many states for obtaining ID (and not acceptable for obtaining a passport).
Indeed, they are acceptable for obtaining a passport. Both of my kids applied for and received their US passports with a certified copy of their BC that was an abstract. Why? THIS is what the abstract includes, in bold:
Quote:
Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (You must submit one of the following. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable):
  • Previously issued, undamaged, and fully valid U.S. Passport (5 year for minors or 10 years for adults)
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate (must meet all of the following requirements):
    • Issued by the City, County, or State of birth
    • Lists bearer's full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists parent(s) full names
    • Has date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has registrar's signature
    • Has embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal of registrar
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...irst-time.html

Example:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies