Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,962,465 times

Advertisements

Do people watch MSNBC or FOXNEWS, just as one example, to get independent news or do they watch to have their opinions validated?

As a NPA voter and having some conservative and some liberal views, I enjoy watching political/social discussion groups with equal amounts of liberals & conservatives....along with a moderate, so I can learn from the discussion and have a better understanding how each side feels about a particular topic. With that said, I see certain news outdits choosing or choosing not to cover certain stories based on their ideology and the spin on covered stories is often opposite. Some people say they "lie", but I find it more that they cover things in a way to "tilt" the view.

So what are your thoughts on this? If you lean one way or the other, do you enjoy listening to what the opposite side has to say and do you find that you learn anythings which may change your mind on something? Do you try to get all sides of the news/discussions or do you prefer news/opinions which validate your particular view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 04:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,962,435 times
The other side are a bunch of morons but they can be fun to laugh at. Like watching a Three Stooges episode.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:15 PM

22,704 posts, read 24,780,721 times
I try to read a lot of different points-of-view....and consider what they have to say with an open mind.

I think the internet makes it very easy to live in a bubble, reading and conversing with people who share your POV.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,962,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The other side are a bunch of morons but they can be fun to laugh at. Like watching a Three Stooges episode.
Who are the other side?

I think both sides and those of us without sides all have good ideas and bad ideas. It's a matter of trying to get the best from every side, IMO.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:11 PM

140 posts, read 125,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There is no other side. Its called Hegelian dialect. The whole thing both sides is a circus.

A (thesis) versus B (anti-thesis) equals C (synthesis).

There is the formula.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,008,436 times
Where does one find unbiased news?

Old 02-28-2016, 08:01 PM

524 posts, read 401,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabbhadou View Post
There is no other side. Its called Hegelian dialect. The whole thing both sides is a circus.

A (thesis) versus B (anti-thesis) equals C (synthesis).

There is the formula.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The majority still believe in the left/right paradigm.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:05 PM

524 posts, read 401,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Where does one find unbiased news?
Here is what I do: I search around for a specific topic or event. I read from multiple sources and I watch out for inconsistencies. Out of all that I read, I average out what showed the most and try to come to a conclusion.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:08 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,678,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Do people watch MSNBC or FOXNEWS, just as one example, to get independent news or do they watch to have their opinions validated?

As a NPA voter and having some conservative and some liberal views, I enjoy watching political/social discussion groups with equal amounts of liberals & conservatives....along with a moderate, so I can learn from the discussion and have a better understanding how each side feels about a particular topic. With that said, I see certain news outdits choosing or choosing not to cover certain stories based on their ideology and the spin on covered stories is often opposite. Some people say they "lie", but I find it more that they cover things in a way to "tilt" the view.

So what are your thoughts on this? If you lean one way or the other, do you enjoy listening to what the opposite side has to say and do you find that you learn anythings which may change your mind on something? Do you try to get all sides of the news/discussions or do you prefer news/opinions which validate your particular view?
one question before I get into a response

Where do you go to get the bold(you specifically) ?

I honestly dont think people go to either to validate their own point, that just happens to be a byproduct. I actually think most people watch those networds because they cover stories they want to here about.

When it comes to political news, I actually started out with CNN, but then I started watching the Young Turks (Cenk Uyger). And from there I went to MSNBC.

they ,TYT, covered the quirky stories no one else did which is what led me to MSNBC. So I actually didnt go there to be validated.

As for listening to the other side. If someone wants to make a point, i have no problem listening, but I cant watch FOX, I did watch Glen Beck before he went crazy(when he was on Fox) and Bill O'reilly. They got worse and worse and I eventually stopped watching both, because they became just like the rest of FOX news. They were no longer simply resenting their side of the story, but rather attacking the left.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,962,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
As for listening to the other side. If someone wants to make a point, i have no problem listening, but I cant watch FOX, I did watch Glen Beck before he went crazy(when he was on Fox) and Bill O'reilly. They got worse and worse and I eventually stopped watching both, because they became just like the rest of FOX news. They were no longer simply resenting their side of the story, but rather attacking the left.
I watched Rachel before her interview with Rand Paul. That was when I realized she was not interested in an honest debate of the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies