Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:46 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't care about Democrats or any other party. I was speaking of minority/women owned businesses and bidding opportunities.
So am I. Why are there so many problems with Democrat-controlled governments and trade unions (almost exclusively Democrat) that "goals" are even necessary? Why don't Democrats give minority tradesmen/women and contractors an equal shake right off the bat? Pervasive Democrat NIMBY racism. That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 03:22 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So am I. Why are there so many problems with Democrat-controlled governments and trade unions (almost exclusively Democrat) that "goals" are even necessary? Why don't Democrats give minority tradesmen/women and contractors an equal shake right off the bat? Pervasive Democrat NIMBY racism. That's why.
I also was not talking about trade unions. Again, read previous comments. You are making up stuff to suit your mindset I guess and not keeping up with what has been said.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I also was not talking about trade unions.
Of course not, because looking at the reality of the need for the "goals" on which you've elaborated makes it VERY clear that Democrat governments and nearly exclusively Democrat trade unions are NIMBY racists/sexists.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You're paying 50k for what amounts to a below average state school. If you're a top student, Morehouse is great. You'll have access to top recruiters from top companies that want diversity. If you're like the majority of its student body, below the national average in terms of SATs & college prep you are probably looking at a lifetime of debt.
Wow? Didn't know that.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Again, goals are put in place to encourage agencies to send bids to minority/women businesses. That is all.

Goals were put into place because agencies were NOT sending bidding opportunities to minority and women owned businesses.
Why are they sending them to anyone specific? Why are not they looking for the bid opportunities like everyone else does?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:14 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Indeed, more Blacks in the STEM majors and getting those degrees helps. It will also be helpful for more Black-owned businesses. The number of Black owned businesses has been increasing rapidly. I think that should continue, and for more Blacks with STEM degrees to start their own businesses.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:08 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why are they sending them to anyone specific? Why are not they looking for the bid opportunities like everyone else does?
Because sometimes corrupt organizations do not advertise their bids like they are supposed to...

Also, depending on how the agency is organized, they may not have to, especially if they have outsourced their procurement/contracting department. Many government organizations do this now-a-days and instead of advertising in papers or specific locations, they will just send out an e-blast via email to specific companies on a bid list or who are registered on a specific e-bidding website. Those who don't know what method the organization is using for their bids, will miss out on the opportunity.

That is why when I sent out bids, I did advertisements and I sent bids directly to vendors and I posted them on billboards AND I used an e-bidding blast as well in order to maximize the pool of vendors.

ETA: Like I mentioned to Informed Consent, bidding and government procurement is difficult to describe. There are VARIOUS ways that a bid can be compromised or that can limit opportunities for companies. And FWIW, it doesn't even have to be minority/women owned businesses. As I stated, it goes beyond political or even union things (and again unions are not big like they used to be in construction, they really do not run anything anymore and are not favored in federal bidding at all). It is about personal opinions of the people at the organizations and who they want to use for their contract. I have been in many agencies with people and I was doing a proposal/bid for them and they told me straight out who they were going to pick even before we put out the bid. This happens more than you would know. They will do whatever they have to do to make it look as legal as possible, then if it is an evaluation process especially, they will just rate the company they want higher than the others and award it to them. Usually they want that company because they worked with them in the past and they don't want to work with anyone else. Usually it is not a minority company who they worked with in the past. They automatically favor the incumbent vendor and so they will disregard all other competition because they develop a personal relationship with people who work for the favored company. In a sealed bid (low bidder takes all) situation, many times officials at an organization will go behind the procurement officer's back and tell their preferred vendor what the estimate was/is for a particular job. That way, the preferred bidder will have an advantage as they will know what price they have to beat. Or the agency will tell the bidder to severely underbid so that they will automatically be awarded a job. For a construction job, this usually will cause the contract to be modified numerous times due to the low bid not being enough to cover the costs of the jobs.

And FWIW, I did see that the sorts of situations above were not as frequent as they were when I first started doing this sort of work. I have known of many people who have been jailed or fined for procurement violations in my day, which is why I was always a stickler for the rules/regs. I value my freedom and am not going to go to jail just so someone can have their friend get paid from a government contract. Usually when I joined or consulted with an organization to develop better procurement strategies, it was due to former (usually recent) fraud situations whereas a lot of people had been fired or in trouble with the feds over fraudulent bidding practices. It has nothing to do with political parties or unions. It has to do with sheisty individuals who have various reasons for doing the fraud they do.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 04-07-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Concepts are more important in mathematics than equations. People have to remember that mathematics is all about apply rules to abstract concepts. This is something a 5 year old can learn. I also think introducing them to tagents and curves at kindergarden will take them a long way. There are still methods in calculus that basically come down to basic addition and subtraction.

In my opinion, and I'm not professional educator. Mathematics should be structured like this.

First year - Children should get an overview of mathematics and what it is. First we need to understand why we have mathematics in the first place. So starting with the history of mathematics is important. Then we should talk about applications of mathematics. And talk about what is used. Mathematics should be visual in this year.

Second year - We should talk about basic arithmetic like addition, subtraction, multiplation, division, and exponents. From there we should then apply this to systems of algebra and calculus. This way they have a foundation of how to use this in multiple mathematical systems.

Third Year - We should talk about mathematical rules. Such as commutative properties, identification, distributive, etc. And we should talk about (again) how these rules apply to all levels of mathematics.

forth year - we should then talk about mathematical applications. We should talk about how we apply mathematics across computer science, physics, chemistry, and biology. The key is to keep tying our mathematics to the real world.

Fifth year - Optionally perhaps we should focus on mathematics proofs, axioms, and theorms.

With that, a child can have a college level mathematics education in less than 6 years. I don't think it takes 12 years to learn college level mathematics, especially if it's taught in an intuitive way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH8K0bPc-BE

Old 04-08-2016, 03:04 AM

Quote:
ETA: Like I mentioned to Informed Consent, bidding and government procurement is difficult to describe. There are VARIOUS ways that a bid can be compromised or that can limit opportunities for companies. And FWIW, it doesn't even have to be minority/women owned businesses. As I stated, it goes beyond political or even union things (and again unions are not big like they used to be in construction, they really do not run anything anymore and are not favored in federal bidding at all). It is about personal opinions of the people at the organizations and who they want to use for their contract. I have been in many agencies with people and I was doing a proposal/bid for them and they told me straight out who they were going to pick even before we put out the bid. This happens more than you would know. They will do whatever they have to do to make it look as legal as possible, then if it is an evaluation process especially, they will just rate the company they want higher than the others and award it to them. Usually they want that company because they worked with them in the past and they don't want to work with anyone else. Usually it is not a minority company who they worked with in the past. They automatically favor the incumbent vendor and so they will disregard all other competition because they develop a personal relationship with people who work for the favored company. In a sealed bid (low bidder takes all) situation, many times officials at an organization will go behind the procurement officer's back and tell their preferred vendor what the estimate was/is for a particular job. That way, the preferred bidder will have an advantage as they will know what price they have to beat. Or the agency will tell the bidder to severely underbid so that they will automatically be awarded a job. For a construction job, this usually will cause the contract to be modified numerous times due to the low bid not being enough to cover the costs of the jobs.
Uh huh... Democrat governments and administrations have a plethora of NIMBY racists/sexists. I'm not surprised, but that will come as a shock to the many misinformed people who have been falsely led to believe only Rs are racist/sexist.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Nice rebuttal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies