Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:10 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The redistribution scheme I described above has been determined to be constitutional.
Nowhere does the constitution authorize the fed govt to rob Peter to feed Paul ( or to house, clothe, pay not to work, etc.).
But of course where votes and our money is concerned it often manufactures justification outside its own rule book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 12:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you can afford to buy expensive groceries with food stamps you don't need the food stamps to begin with.

If you are working for a living above poverty you're not going to buy expensive food unless you can afford it, at least if you are responsible. What is so silly about expecting people on food stamps to be doing the same thing?
In regards to my comments made earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You have AFDC in your area, it is a federal program.

EBT cards, as stated have different components. Some people also have an EBT card for receipt of their child support, so they only have a cash component and can get money off of it and use it for whatever they need to purchase.

I think you are putting too much judgment on your customers. You should be happy those people are supporting your business IMO.

I also agree with this. In my area people with foodstamps can also go to the Farmer's Market and I have seen people complain about them being able to buy organics as well. People also don't want those on foodstamps to be able to buy steak or shrimp.

It is all so silly to me.
Bold added by me. It is silly that so many people want to complain about every aspect of the food stamp program and to dictate what people eat. Yet you can ignore all of the other wasteful spending that doesn't even affect anyone's personal, day to day life, like food stamps does.

And plenty of people on food stamps coupon and buy cheap food.

Like the OP my main gripe with the program is the too many people buy a lot of cheap food in order to get through the month (I have seen people buy 3 baskets full of totino's pizzas and hot pockets with foodstamps because they were on sale for 2 for $1 and they made sure they had enough for the month for instance).

But if someone is low income enough to qualify for food stamps, they actually are, indeed poor and I think they can and should be given some leeway to buy some chips and candy once in a while. It is silly to be mad at people for buying chips and candy.

On this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Reformed......?
Not gonna happen.

Think about it: this program has allowed millions of people the
luxury of sitting home, watching tv & munching.....
While the rest of us are out there day in & day out working our a$$es off

The fact is the lifelong welfare leeches are masters of manipulation.
Don't buy into the sob stories of "they're poor."
A lot of them have luxury cars, nice places, big screen tv's & more expensive stuff than us....
A majority of food stamp users work. They are considered the "working poor." Many of our active duty servicemen and their families qualify for food stamps.

I worked for many years in the public sector, primarily in senior housing services and over 90% of our seniors got food stamps. Most of them worked their entire lives up until they were over 65 or they were disabled. Many only got about $100-$150 a month in food stamps.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
It bothers me because I see the children. From the 10th to the roughly the 25th they get all the candy and chips they want, but after that they get nothing. Makes one wonder what they do after that...,as the parents are bringing in moldy dimes, nickles and pennies to get their beer and cigs

If you are on your own and get SNAP, go for it and spend it all in a week or two. Buy all the chips and soda you want.
Since it bothers you so much and you are a manager, why don't you just refuse to make the candy, gum, chips or other purchase from the individual?

Old 03-10-2016, 12:20 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Not declaring all your income is a crime-you would be required to pay back all money in addition to penalties and being banned from the program. The investigative unit is mostly comprised of former cops but it usually doesn't even get to that point since almost all income is verified through the system-Equifax shows nearly all wages and unearned income paid to someone over their lifetime. The rate of fraud is thus something like 1%.

I am referring to the underground economy of drug dealers, working under the table, living with a boyfriend but not declaring his income in your total support.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:23 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Why would it bother you? In order for someone to get food stamps, they have to be low-income. If your monthly income is above a certain amount, you don't qualify for it. And besides, many people on foodstamps are people who HAVE paid into the system at one point or another. Who cares if they're buying chips, cookies, etc?
It does bother me that someone can afford cigarettes and alcohol but also receive food stamps. Although I see no way to stop it.

Quote:
It's not your business to dictate what others buy with funds from a program that they qualify for. The program exists to help the less fortunate, and it allows them to buy junk food if they so choose.
If my taxes are paying for it why shouldn't I be concerned about what it is being spent on. Although in my case I don't mind poor children having the opportunity to have an occasional junk food. As long as their other needs are met.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
It does bother me that someone can afford cigarettes and alcohol but also receive food stamps. Although I see no way to stop it.

If my taxes are paying for it why shouldn't I be concerned about what it is being spent on. Although in my case I don't mind poor children having the opportunity to have an occasional junk food. As long as their other needs are met.

Addicts find ways to feed their addictions. Drive by any free food line (like, say, outside a soup kitchen) and people in line are smoking. They choose to spend their money on tobacco because they can't get free tobacco but they know they can always get free food.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Reformed......?
Not gonna happen.

Think about it: this program has allowed millions of people the
luxury of sitting home, watching tv & munching.....
While the rest of us are out there day in & day out working our a$$es off...

The fact is the lifelong welfare leeches are masters of manipulation.
Don't buy into the sob stories of "they're poor."
A lot of them have luxury cars, nice places, big screen tv's & more expensive stuff than us....

FACT: "The overwhelming majority of SNAP recipients who can work do so. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, "Among SNAP households with at least one working-age, non-disabled adult, more than half work while receiving SNAP—and more than 80 percent work in the year prior to or the year after receiving SNAP. The rates are even higher for families with children—more than 60 percent work while receiving SNAP, and almost 90 percent work in the prior or subsequent year."

What's more, many SNAP participants aren't physically able to work. About 20 percent of SNAP participants are elderly or have a disability, according to the USDA."

6 SNAP (Food Stamp) Myths | Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger

Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Go back to giving them government cheese

Old 03-10-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I am referring to the underground economy of drug dealers, working under the table, living with a boyfriend but not declaring his income in your total support.
Kinda like the rancher who refuses to pay federal grazing fees for his cattle and ripping off the taxpayer but only on a much smaller scale. Is that kinda what you mean?

Old 03-10-2016, 12:44 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Understood, but as caseworkers it is their job to determine that the story "adds up".

For example rent is used as a deduction, but if someone says they are paying $500 per Month in rent and have no income, or if they have no housing payment/no income-well they need to explain how that is possible-letter from the landlord saying they have not been paying rent, letter from who they are living with that is allowing them to live there without paying, etc. If they are self-employed, they need proof of that income.

A woman also has to give the name/address of their child's father to be eligible-the government then goes after him for child support, as they'd rather have the family being supported by him instead of the Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies