Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:46 AM

68,405 posts, read 54,690,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How could that be when the very first amendment addresses religion? The Hobby Lobby decision is just one example of religion being highly relevant.
Or, an example of a conservative leaning SCOTUS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The 1st Amendments greatest threats today come from those wishing to infringe greatly on "the free exercise" of religion. These threats are mainly coming from the left.
No, the greatest threat is from those wishing to (mis)interpret the First Amendment and have us believe it compels the practice of religion by everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 06:48 AM

37,580 posts, read 19,449,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Islam is lumped in with those faiths because it emanates from them....without Judaism and Christianity, there'd be no Islam.
That's true. They all pray to the same God.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 AM

28,748 posts, read 18,987,478 times
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. -- James 1:27

Old 03-11-2016, 06:50 AM

1,050 posts, read 702,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Radical Islam and Radical Christianity are one and the same. Either of them will happily pray for the death of the other.
Fundamentalism is dangerous--be it religion or ideology

Old 03-11-2016, 06:51 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,985,143 times
Lets see?

Christianity teaches, among other things, to love your neighbor as yourself, and so help and share with those in need.
It also teaches respect for law and authority.
It teaches that we should not murder, or hurt our neighbor
It teaches that we should not steal.
It teaches that we should not falsely deceive or tell lies about our fellow man.
It teaches that we should not commit adultery, and instead love and be faithful to our spouses.
It teaches that we should discipline our children, raise them and teach them these things and the rest of the Christian faith.

According to the OP, the world is better off without these teachings? So apparently the OP thinks the world is better off to teach the Opposite?

Old 03-11-2016, 06:52 AM

37,580 posts, read 19,449,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
people rob- cheat- and sex their money-to get high - be it prescription or heroin or crack -there is no difference, drugs are on the street not at pharmacy prices

I have never been on drugs -but I have heard many say God fixed them from it- there is a chance for change and HOPE-

There are rights and wrongs and our children no longer know the difference. Look at that stupid brawl on the plane by the young ladies-- I saw a total blow out of 6 yrs old on a bus - beating each other - there is no way you will say our country is more moral now- go volunteer at a police dept for a day.
I have, I was cross addicted, and I have been in recovery for 30 years. Did they give any evidence of how God may have done it? If there is no proof to be offered, then it's merely opinion without validation.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:55 AM

28,748 posts, read 18,987,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lets see?

Christianity teaches, among other things, to love your neighbor as yourself, and so help and share with those in need.
It also teaches respect for law and authority.
It teaches that we should not murder, or hurt our neighbor
It teaches that we should not steal.
It teaches that we should not falsely deceive or tell lies about our fellow man.
It teaches that we should not commit adultery, and instead love and be faithful to our spouses.
It teaches that we should discipline our children, raise them and teach them these things and the rest of the Christian faith.

According to the OP, the world is better off without these teachings? So apparently the OP thinks the world is better off to teach the Opposite?
Aristotle also taught those things.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:56 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,890,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
This is not an attack on religion or religious people.

However, I question why some are blaming America's problems on irreligious people and secularism – given that countries considered "less religious" than the U.S. often perform better on a number of significant measures, as indicated by various data bellow.

Is religion the answer? Is it necessary for a prosperous society?

I feel as though "growing secularism" is an illegitimate excuse that people use to avoid acknowledging the real causes of issues. Despite that, I am open to discussion and would be willing to change my position if I were legitimately persuaded.
I guess they only interviewed people who have decent jobs who can provide food,shelter, etc for themselves and family.

If you have a good job you are happy.
If you have health you are happy/
If you have a stable home life you are happy.
If you are emotionally at ease with yourself you are happy.

But life is not guaranteed to provide the above. Religion allows one to transit the hard days and appreciate the good ones.

If you have lived a life you have had ups and downs. If not self-absorbed then one realizes how fragile it is and how easily it could be worse.

Do not know where atheist acquire their ethics or morals but do know where they come from in Religion and it works in achieving the four Ifs above.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:59 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,961,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Or, an example of a conservative leaning SCOTUS?

No, the greatest threat is from those wishing to (mis)interpret the First Amendment and have us believe it compels the practice of religion by everyone.
The 1st Amendment puts religion in play. That is not debateable. Even liberals support certain prohibitions on limitations on the free exercise of religion.

No one is compelled to follow anyone else's religion. Are you referring to individuals who try to compel business owners to violate their religious beliefs in order to provide services they wish not to perform?

Old 03-11-2016, 07:00 AM

68,405 posts, read 54,690,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
It doesn't. Most of our laws grew out of English common law which grew out of religious principles. It's just simply history.

By being 'personal' to you, it's not an attack on you. It's simply an individual that wants complete divorce from religion, per se, will never fully get it as our laws have a start, long ago, before the founding of this country, partly/mostly, depending on perspective, from a religious backdrop.
As I've said, I believe there are natural laws such as not stealing, not killing, etc. that were in place long before the invention of any religion, so what's to say those religious laws you'd have us believe the country was founded on weren't in place before the religion existed? Are we to believe that before the days of Christ or whatever your God of choice that men stole from each other, killed each other, etc. with no repercussions? As if it took some man-made religion to tell them the error(s) of their ways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
That is why people still have this argument 227 years after the constitution was ratified. History doesn't allow for a complete separation as religion and law were intertwined intimately. It doesn't mean God/religion was cited (although in some cases it is), but tradition.
I don't believe going back 227 years is anywhere near far enough to learn what shaped human behavior nor do I believe it took the Ten Commandments or anything like them to shape much of accepted behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies