Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The main cause of the current heroin epidemic is people being prescribed addictive drugs becoming hooked and switching to the far cheaper heroin when they can't afford their prescribed meds. They don't use to get high, they use to approach some semblance of being straight.
You are mistaken.

The 18-24 age group is the age demographic most likely to get addicted to heroin.

Most in this group used opioids, pain pills RECREATIONALLY before graduating to a better bang for the $, Heroin. They were not prescribed pain pills.

Most have a history of poly substance abuse with an emphasis on Marijuana and Cocaine.
While Marijuana is a gateway substance, most who smoke pot or drink alcohol for that matter, will not become addicted to Opioids and Opiates.

Most who try Heroin believe they will not become addicted. They believe they will be able to control it. They are mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,511,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Remember that when the Doc's look you in the face and tell you that yourself or someone you love are doomed...The first words from you mouth will be OH GOD.....
Actually; as evidenced by recovered cockpit voice recorders, those two words are more likely to be "oh s**t.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
There is no freedom of religion without it being accompanied by freedom from religion.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:02 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
Religion is still more important to Americans than people from various other First World democracies.

Some Americans have argued that the "irreligious people" are to blame for America's social issues. However, the world's least religious democracies have either eliminated or managed these social issues much better than what the United States has.

People seem to be overlooking that. Some of you aren't even addressing what the thread is about.

Why is there a higher homicide rate in the United States than in Scandinavia's super secular nations?

The fact is, I never implied that religion is bad. What I argue is that being a religious nation is not essential for social prosperity (as indicated with the data samples in the OP) – and that blame for social issues is misattributed to "irreligious people."

Blame should be attributed to crony capitalism, corporate welfare, divisive politics and so on. Look at those issues and their impact on the American people before you consider ranting on about how secularism or irreligion is destroying America.

That's my additional two cents. Thank you!
I repped you, but....

It's social differences that create social friction. The most homogenous nations are the most tranquil. Religion is only a factor of homogeneity or heterogeneity.

The major difference between the US and "Scandinavia's super secular nations" is the rather extremely heterogeneous nature of all aspects of American society--and that includes religious heterogeneity, which European nations hashed out back in 1648 and has only recently resurfaced with the influx of Muslim immigrants.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,511,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Did you ever wake up in a back alley after an all night praying section?
A whole bunch of people never woke up at all after a praying session with Jimmy Jones.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:04 AM

211 posts, read 114,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Religion isn't a problem solver anywhere.

In many places, it's the root of problems.
Tell that to the people served by the kitchens, shelters, food pantries, job training programs, thrift stores and free clinics operated by faith-based organizations. In my city alone, these charities provide aid to thousands of people in need that the government has failed. Without these religious charities, many people would be far worse off.

Or tell that to the missionaries who bring food, water, medicine, clothing and education to the most poverty-stricken people around the world.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:17 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,743,899 times
Quote:
Perhaps my mind was poisoned in my youth, in Roman Catholic Sunday school we were threatened with eternal damnation if we even set foot in a church of a different flavor. That was not an isolated incident as I've met several other people from different parts of the country who told the exact same thing.

Congratulations to the church! Nothing else could have been more effective in driving me from organized religion.
I had quite the opposite experience. The priest that confirmed me convinced my mother to let me find my own way. He and I had 'those conversations' when I was 10, 11. I was atheist for 30 some years although I always found religion, the historical aspects, interesting (not the preaching/prostyleting of any specific religion). Especially how religion, socio-politics, intertwined in societies.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:20 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,743,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
Tell that to the people served by the kitchens, shelters, food pantries, job training programs, thrift stores and free clinics operated by faith-based organizations. In my city alone, these charities provide aid to thousands of people in need that the government has failed. Without these religious charities, many people would be far worse off.

Or tell that to the missionaries who bring food, water, medicine, clothing and education to the most poverty-stricken people around the world.
To further your point... Name one organization in human history that has offered as much charitable contributions historically as the Catholic Church. Your examples but also schools, hospitals, and relief efforts.

Some will point to the molestation scandals, others Leo vi, or the inquisition. On balance, the positive outweighs the negative. For every sick pedophile, there's been many more mother Theresa's.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,457,569 times
Quote:
And also forbade Congress from making any law regarding the establishment of religion.
But the sates were free to.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:24 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,457,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You both are completely wrong. By saying that, you are essentially saying that people can be forced to not freely practice their religion if someone is offended by it, which is wholly unconstitutional. I would like this because I would sue Islam and force it to shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies