Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 10:25 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There were only 3 pollsters who got it right. Rasmussen was one.

Your other point is spot on; Rasmussen consistently shows a higher approval rating that other outfits. But Rasmussen is the only pollster who relies on 'likely voters' as opposed to 'registered voters' or (shudder) 'adults'.
My own view is that pollsters who rely on 'adults' should be ignored.
I'm not sure what list you're referencing, but I've seen more than 3 that were very close.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...tial-election/

One last look: 2016 polls actually got a lot right | TheHill

Related - a good read: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...story-of-2016/

I don't know if I trust Rasmussen totally (as mentioned, they are consistently high) - their polling method alone is enough to raise a few eyebrows (in 2018).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Rasmussen relies on people with landlines. Who do you know who still has a landline? I know of two households with landlines--my parents who are in their late 80s, and my brother who has a business line that he's had for a few decades, and for practical business reasons he has kept.

I know of no one else who still has a landline. The majority of people who do are senior citizens. How can such narrowly focused polling be representative of the whole?

It's not. That's why Rasmussen is always an outlier.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:38 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Old white people are the group most likely to actually show up on election day.
Bingo!

Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There were only 3 pollsters who got it right. Rasmussen was one.

Your other point is spot on; Rasmussen consistently shows a higher approval rating that other outfits. But Rasmussen is the only pollster who relies on 'likely voters' as opposed to 'registered voters' or (shudder) 'adults'.
My own view is that pollsters who rely on 'adults' should be ignored.
This is not true. Most pollsters issue different results from the same poll simultaneously- overall #s, numbers weighted for demographics, all voters, likely voters, etc. The more statistically savvy folks always break into tabs and the various components to extrapolate more.

One big issue is how they determine likely voters and how they weigh for demographics. If they can't get a better grasp on who is showing up to vote, errors occur. In 08 a lot of polls were hesitant to weigh minority voters as heavily in advance as their actual turnouts were on election day. In 16 minorities slightly underperformed and working class voters both surged and swung at the last moment in key swing states specifically.

Back to the topic of approval- I do not think the 47% number vibes with the vote swings we have been seeing in all the special elections. Even in the districts with Republican winners- the percentages are trending significantly towards Ds/away from Rs. That should not be happening with president whose popularity was approaching break even/50%.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Actually, past cuts to the top rate have almost always occurred when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

1964, top rate cut from 91% to 77%
1965, top rate cut from 77% to 70%
1982, top rate cut from 70% to 50% (Republican Senate)
1987, top rate cut from 50% to 38.5%
1988, top rate cut from 38.5% to 33%
1991, top rate cut from 33% to 31%
You wanna give us a valid link for your numbers above?

Either way, I am not some mindless advocate for party politics (unlike some here). Tax breaks for the upper 1% at the expense of the middle and working class are wrong no matter which party implements them. I am not concerned so much with past history as I want to see viable measures taken in the here and now.

I dislike BOTH the Clintons - especially Bill who sold the country out to his Wall Street pals. A wrong is a wrong whether committed by a Democrat or a Republican. Why do so many people have trouble with such a basic concept?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So what -- he's at 46% and that's high for him.

It's still bad.

I swear your way of thinking is odd.

And FYI Rasmeussen is one poll...if you take an average of all the polls -- it is 41%

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html
41, 46 or whatever why do you and some others love to talk about ratings. Polls have been proven to be wrong more often than right and make little difference when it is time to vote. Remember ratings are often based more on personalty than on success in a position. They can also be judged by how a question is asked. Have you ever been called and asked how you would rate a candidate or a person holding an office?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

I know of no one else who still has a landline. The majority of people who do are senior citizens. How can such narrowly focused polling be representative of the whole?
Everyone should keep their landlines in case if emergencies.

Which other orgs poll likely voters like Rasmussen does? No other poll counts. Besides, it's far too early to worry about polls but I understand the desperation of the Loonies looking for a glimmer of hope.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Old white people are the group most likely to actually show up on election day.
Sorry, but you're wrong:

Quote:
Millennials and Gen Xers Outvoted Boomers and Older Generations in 2016 Election

"Baby Boomers and other older Americans are no longer the majority of voters in U.S. presidential elections.

Millennials and Generation Xers cast 69.6 million votes in the 2016 general election, a slight majority of the 137.5 million total votes cast, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of Census Bureau data. Meanwhile, Boomers and older voters represented fewer than half of all votes for the first time in decades. The shift has occurred as Millennials accounted for a growing share of the electorate and as those in the Silent and Greatest generations aged and died."

Millennials, Gen Xers outvoted Boomers and older generations in 2016 election | Pew Research Center
The old white people's time is passing away.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You know your president is doing bad when his fans celebrate an approval rating of 46%. When Obama's approval ratings were at 46% his fans were disappointed.
When the peace prize winner's approval rating was 46% he had already destroyed Libya, used a billion dollars in Cruise Missiles, and promised us all the savings we would have with his namesake: Obama care. But, he was so Articulate And you wonder why we have Trump?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:00 AM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong:

The old white people's time is passing away.
So, your dream is to kill off "white people's" parents and grand parents? You must be a member of the Nation of Islam or some other similar organization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies