Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:47 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Unions know the decision people will make when given the freedom of choice, and it scares the tar out of them.
The workers have the freedom of choice to apply for a job at 7-11 or at the local auto repair shop or any place else they want to work. Why do they apply for work at a union shop? This isn`t a hard question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The workers have the freedom of choice to apply for a job at 7-11 or at the local auto repair shop or any place else they want to work. Why do they apply for work at a union shop? This isn`t a hard question.
What makes a place of employment a "union shop"?

If the owners of a place that has employees make the CHOICE to only hire union workers, I have no problem with that, but what about the places where the owners want to have the choice to hire a person who doesn't want to be in the union. Do you want to outlaw such a CHOICE?

Old 03-30-2016, 12:08 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
"I have to be consistent,” Grassley said. “You can’t argue with the decision of the electorate.”

Now that statement is hysterical, this is one stubborn old coot.

He did bring up a good point though in that Garland could not vote in any of the up coming decisions since he has not participated in the arguments. But that also means that if a justice isn't appointed until March 2017 he also would not be able to vote on any cases that were argued in the last 12 months, this means even longer delay before they are functioning on all 9 cylinders.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nd-on-garland/

Old 03-30-2016, 03:15 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm damn tired of people taking their crap out on unions because they feel powerless to take their anger out on anyone else. Unions are an easy target because they've been weakened by a coalition of union hating politicians and their corporate backers.
There is a lot of truth to that.

Like the Clintons.

Whom is the front-runner for the democratic party nomination.

Good news though, they're only toxic to the private unions and not the public ones and there isn't much of the former left after NAFTA and other off-shoring efforts.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:23 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Scalia saved the labor unions? I am mildly entertained at the thought.
HE, on the other hand, would be apoplectic!

Old 03-30-2016, 03:45 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times
Quote:
We know this has NOTHING to do with protecting workers and everything to do with funneling money to democratic politicians.

If unions are the only way to protect employees, let's get rid of government offices like the EEOC, Department of Labor, OSHA, Merit System Board, Employee Benefits Security Administration, etc; afterall, if these government agencies are NOT protecting employees (not doing their jobs), then we shouldn't be paying for them, correct?
I understand what you're trying to say, but fact of the matter is that these laws and departments work in conjunction with labor unions in a very important way.

The fact that the laws exists gives teeth to the bargaining unit. This does not mean that a union will run to OSHA every time there is a grievance, but it means that they can, and the union can be used as a tool to protect the worker. Again, there are whistleblower laws on the books, but OSHA is not large enough or efficient enough to process and investigate every claim to retaliation, and taking your employer to court would be daunting for most people that they wouldn't bother.

A bargaining unit is more likely to protect the employee, and not likely to cost the employee anything besides what they already pay in dues, and more likely produce an amicable outcome for management and employees.

These are not guarantees, because I'll acknowledge some locals are in a sorry state of affairs. But I encourage anybody part of a union to take whatever enthusiasm they have for our democracy, to their local union. Whatever I can achieve in my local union is more likely to improve my life than the election of whatever presidential candidate.

Also, I don't believe the "fair share fees" cannot be used for political purposes, the monthly dues that union members pay on top of their working assessments I believe can be used for PAC's. Union locals book's are required to be available to be audited by its members.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is a lot of truth to that.

Like the Clintons.

Whom is the front-runner for the democratic party nomination.

Good news though, they're only toxic to the private unions and not the public ones and there isn't much of the former left after NAFTA and other off-shoring efforts.
Yeah, but not only the Clintons. It ain't like the OTHER guys are pro-union either.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No. And you know damn well that they can't because you can't do that at your job and KEEP your job.

And to everyone else that says that you can fix situations in the work place by just talking to your employer (who doesn't even know that you exist) is lying like hell.

So don't even start.

I find my employers have been far more agreeable at times when the number of available workers have been relatively low.

This has proven to be true at times when I belonged to a union and at times when I did not.

As to whether or not your employer knows you exist or not depends largely on your skill set, or lack thereof.

Meanwhile, Democrats are trying to play on sides by supporting unions and what amounts to effectively open borders.

You can`t have it both ways.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I find my employers have been far more agreeable at times when the number of available workers have been relatively low.

This has proven to be true at times when I belonged to a union and at times when I did not.

As to whether or not your employer knows you exist or not depends largely on your skill set, or lack thereof.

Meanwhile, Democrats are trying to play on sides by supporting unions and what amounts to effectively open borders.

You can`t have it both ways.
Stop it. Republicans have done absolutely NOTHING historically about open borders except talk the issue to death. No surprise...right wingers are long on mouth and short on results when it comes to everything.

Gimme a darn break.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
We know this has NOTHING to do with protecting workers and everything to do with funneling money to democratic politicians.

If unions are the only way to protect employees, let's get rid of government offices like the EEOC, Department of Labor, OSHA, Merit System Board, Employee Benefits Security Administration, etc; afterall, if these government agencies are NOT protecting employees (not doing their jobs), then we shouldn't be paying for them, correct?
So there is no California or Federal law that forbids union dues from going to political campaigns? If not, and if only unions would start directing their campaign money to Republicans, maybe you'd shut up about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies