Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 01:24 PM

305 posts, read 180,140 times

Advertisements

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 01:24 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I agree, legalize it. A FREE People have the right of self determination.

Colorado has legal pot. Most people (including me) are not partaking. But we have the option if we wish. Booze is legal, I'm not an alcoholic. Can't even remember last time I had a drink, probably last Christmas. I occasionally require a vicodin for migraines. I'm not out snorting my prescription. So I don't see heroin as a problem for normal people.

Meth isn't legal, but readily available. Intelligent people know better than to touch it. Like I also don't sniff glue oir paint. Some people will do drugs - they do anyway. So let 'em.

The drug war is just because the DEA will be out of work.
Comparing heroin to alcohol and pot is stupid. It's the same mistake the "say no to drugs" mantra did.

"Hey, they said pot is dangerous..and it's really not that big a deal. They said in the same breath heroin was dangerous..must not be. I'll try that too."

No, it actually is really dangerous.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:31 PM

305 posts, read 180,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Comparing heroin to alcohol and pot is stupid. It's the same mistake the "say no to drugs" mantra did.

"Hey, they said pot is dangerous..and it's really not that big a deal. They said in the same breath heroin was dangerous..must not be. I'll try that too."

No, it actually is really dangerous.
Alcohol kills more than most people realize.

"Nearly 88,000 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making it the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States."

Alcohol Facts and Statistics | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

"The United States is in the midst of an opioid overdose epidemic.

Opioids (including prescription opioid pain relievers and heroin) killed more than 28,000 people in 2014, more than any year on record. At least half of all opioid overdose deaths involve a prescription opioid."

Opioid Overdose | Drug Overdose | CDC Injury Center

Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
Alcohol kills more than most people realize.

"Nearly 88,000 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making it the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States."

Alcohol Facts and Statistics | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

"The United States is in the midst of an opioid overdose epidemic.

Opioids (including prescription opioid pain relievers and heroin) killed more than 28,000 people in 2014, more than any year on record. At least half of all opioid overdose deaths involve a prescription opioid."

Opioid Overdose | Drug Overdose | CDC Injury Center
How many people drink alcohol regularly recreatioinally?

How many people take opiods recreationally regularly? A lot less. 88K vs 28K says nothing about per capita.

Opiates are far more dangerous. Pot is probably less dangerous than alcohol, I wouldn't argue that, but neither compares to opiates. No way should they be legal.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I am darkly amused that opiate addiction was tolerated when it was supposedly confines to the prostitutes and low lives in the inner cities but has become the latest big social problem when the addictions spread to soccer mom suburbs. It is only a problem when little Billy gets hooked on Momma's little helper.

I suggest making the opioids legal without any drug company monopolies keeping the prices excessively high so anyone that does get hooked can afford to support their habit. Those that can handle the addiction will survive. Those that cannot tend to die pretty quickly. That may be tough on them and tough on their families but is easier on society because the criminality associated with the illegal drug trade costs society much more then the death of a bunch of addicts.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am darkly amused that opiate addiction was tolerated when it was supposedly confines to the prostitutes and low lives in the inner cities but has become the latest big social problem when the addictions spread to soccer mom suburbs.

I suggest making the opioids legal without any drug company monopolies keeping the prices excessively high so anyone that does get hooked can afford to support their habit. Those that can handle the addiction will survive. Those that cannot tend to die pretty quickly.

That may be tough on them and tough on their families but is easier on society because the criminality associated with the illegal drug trade costs society much more then the death of a bunch of addicts.
Yeah, I don't think 21 year olds dying is funny, even if they are the kids of white people someone hates because of a chip on their shoulder..

We didn't have this epidemic prior to Perdue Pharma. The addicts you have now..you have. They need to be helped. But what you need to stop first is the new addicts.

And you do that is by:
---cutting back on prescription pain pills....only for acute pain, only short term doses, tracked via a data base. Their should not be 30 days worth of pills floating around peoples medicine cabinets for tooth aches. If your dying from cancer, you should get all you want in a hospice setting. I was given a 30 day prescription for Oxy for a minor plastic surgery on my earlobe....I never filled it, took Ibuprofen instead. That bottle would have had a street value in the thousands.
---sealing the southern border and stopping the majority of the heroin traffic

You'll have some problems with current addicts, but eventually the tide will turn.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:43 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Decriminalize all drugs and divert the obscene amounts of money we are spending on law enforcement and incarceration into drug treatment centers and education instead. It would not only be money better spent, but it would prevent millions of people from ending up in prison for substance abuse or drug addiction, which is a medical condition, not a criminal one.

But this will not happen until the for-profit prison system is dismantled, and there's way too much money involved for that to happen in our current political atmosphere.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The problem of the epidemic rests with two causes.
Yes, because firstly people are weak, and secondly people are stupid.

Other than Darwining the incompetent, what value do heroin dealers have? None, so why not execute them like other countries do?

Old 03-30-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Decriminalize all drugs and divert the obscene amounts of money we are spending on law enforcement and incarceration into drug treatment centers and education instead. It would not only be money better spent, but it would prevent millions of people from ending up in prison for substance abuse or drug addiction, which is a medical condition, not a criminal one.

But this will not happen until the for-profit prison system is dismantled, and there's way too much money involved for that to happen in our current political atmosphere.
This is where the libertarian mindset comes off as infantile and silly.

No sensible person thinks heroin should be decriminalized. The idea is absurd.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, because firstly people are weak, and secondly people are stupid.

Other than Darwining the incompetent, what value do heroin dealers have? None, so why not execute them like other countries do?
Execution seems to be the only proven model of near eradication of hard drugs from a culture.

It worked for the most populous and addicted county- China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies