Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 02:22 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,514,698 times

Advertisements

I see allot of addicts out there. Some very close to me. Most of them started out with Rx for heavy synthetic drugs that are very powerful versions of heroin etc.
Once their Rx runs out, they are more often than not, hooked and need something to alleviate the addiction. Heroin is one choice many take. Not a great choice, but some have no guidance in life to show them a better way.
Well, at what point is the Doctor via Big Pharm, or just Big Pharm, going to be held accountable for their drug pushing ways. And you know they do. If you ever have surgery, they will ask what you may want after words for the pain... but, no accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 02:55 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,558,448 times
it's not entirely the fault of doctors and pharma (although I for many reasons of my own, loathe big pharma).

I have been on percocet a number of times after surgeries and wisdom tooth extractions. I never found myself addicted. I was given a small amount of meds, and I stopped taking them when the pain subsided.

my Mother in law was on long term pain meds after a double knee replacement. she didn't get addicted.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:00 PM

131 posts, read 112,609 times
Better yet, when are individuals going to be held accountable for their own actions?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
it's not entirely the fault of doctors and pharma (although I for many reasons of my own, loathe big pharma).

I have been on percocet a number of times after surgeries and wisdom tooth extractions. I never found myself addicted. I was given a small amount of meds, and I stopped taking them when the pain subsided.

my Mother in law was on long term pain meds after a double knee replacement. she didn't get addicted.
I see your point.. And my Mom had two knees and shoulder replaced, tylenol with codeine..
But, dosage and usage. I know someone that was given liquid version of Oxycontin. Drank it through a straw for months. But, she didnt know it was going to be addictive or was that explained to her. The name was not an obvious name to, as most are generic...
everyone reacts to meds differently. I have red head in my genes. And, when I see the dentist, Novocaine takes 30-45 minutes to work, and I need more during dental surgery as I feel the pain still.
Imagine not knowing this during a very painful male surgery for not making babies..

Old 04-01-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmotion View Post
Better yet, when are individuals going to be held accountable for their own actions?
BINGO. The US will never hold people accountable. Lawyers ensure that. But parents could start holding their kids accountable from an early age..........Just saying.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:09 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,288,815 times
For starters, banning drug commercials would be a good start. No, I don't need to ask my doctor about some random medication I heard on TV that is for something vague that has a list of bad side effects.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,047,946 times
You have a huge in the number of heroin overdoses over a 20 year period. That isn't the result of "bad parenting", PC, or the fact that kids didn't walk uphill both ways to schools. (these kinds of reactions seem to come up in every friggin' thread on this forum. How predictable are you people?)

It's because a pharmaceutical company wanted to get rich by getting people addicted to a drug that was basically heroin, and the government did basically nothing about it (a relatively small fine).

Forbes Welcome

The heroin issue we have in this country (in terms of the scope of it) can be traced directly back to these people and the fact that the government did nothing to stop them..because they were paid not to, basically. Take some time to ACTUALLY READ the article before you go back to saying "in my day" and "pc is killing America" and "kids are wimps" and "nanny state" and all your other nonsense. This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's hard facts.

How long before some idiot says "but there were heroin addicts in the 70's!!"

You didn't have 20 year olds od'ing left and right in middle class communities in the 1970's. The volume of this is staggering.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I see your point.. And my Mom had two knees and shoulder replaced, tylenol with codeine..
But, dosage and usage. I know someone that was given liquid version of Oxycontin. Drank it through a straw for months. But, she didnt know it was going to be addictive or was that explained to her. The name was not an obvious name to, as most are generic...
everyone reacts to meds differently. I have red head in my genes. And, when I see the dentist, Novocaine takes 30-45 minutes to work, and I need more during dental surgery as I feel the pain still.
Imagine not knowing this during a very painful male surgery for not making babies..
Doctors who prescribe these types of meds without explaining the danger and or prescribing large quantities of it are definitely part of the problem.

You know what I am sick of though? I am really sick of people calling drug addiction a "disease". How can anyone possibly put alcoholism or drug addiction in the same category as cancer?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
For starters, banning drug commercials would be a good start. No, I don't need to ask my doctor about some random medication I heard on TV that is for something vague that has a list of bad side effects.
Agreed. I never once parroted back some med from a commercial to my doctor. THEY are the one's who went med school. They're the one's who I am paying to make those decisions for me.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Doctors who prescribe these types of meds without explaining the danger and or prescribing large quantities of it are definitely part of the problem.

You know what I am sick of though? I am really sick of people calling drug addiction a "disease". How can anyone possibly put alcoholism or drug addiction in the same category as cancer?
How can they say they are diseases, because they are classified as diseases, sickness, illness etc. It affects all around them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies