Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 11:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That hijab rule is forced on people. Women don't want it. By kowtowing to the rule you are not "respecting" the people. You are part of the enforcement regime. Besides, hijab is for Muslims. Where does it say French citizens must follow Islam? When that Muslim delivery guy refused to deliver beer, every liberal stood up and cheered for him but now Air France crew has to suck it up and do as told. If Air France is so concerned about not hurting mullahs, may be they should send an all-Muslim crew to Tehran.
AFAIK, the airline did not tell their female crew members that they HAD to wear a hijab. Just told them what to expect if they did.

Maybe you should fly to Iran and refuse to follow the dress code there if it is such a big deal to you. Maybe the crew members are just muttering "the ****ing things I have to do for this job."

Edited to add - about those muslim truck drivers - what I said was that the employers should obey existing law and afford "reasonable accommodation" if they could - same as the employers should do for, say, a JW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 12:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
the covering of the hair is a distant second. the much bigger concern (IMO) is how many flight attendants will be accused of being spies and thrown in prison. Some things are just not worth it. As I said perviously, I would find another job.

Why on earth would you assume that is a common occurrence? If a member of a flight crew is that unintelligent that they set themselves up for that .......enough said.

Flight crews are among the most worldly folks there are as they see more foreign countries in their careers than any other. They are usually well versed through corporate education in avoiding those activities in foreign countries that would set them up for prosecution or persecution.

Tourists to those countries with questionable human rights are another matter entirely as they should, if even halfway intelligent, enact research and behave in a manner to forestall an event such as you describe.

I reference the retarded mincompoop that is now doing hard labour in N.Korea for attempting to steal a poster off a wall.

Changing jobs because you might be required to wear a headscarf if walking about the streets of Iran seems very stupid when all one has to do instead is comply with local customs or confine yourself to your hotel on a one night lay-over. How many flight crew would actually wander about the streets of Iran alone in any case?

Observing local customs is no different in the U.S. where it could be assumed no self respecting flight crew from Air-Italia, SwissAir, Air Isreal or any other country, is going to wander out of O'Hare and hail a cab to East Garfield Park at 11pm to get a gander of local gang life.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:58 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Q: So why hasn't this been the policy all along for every airline in that travels to the ME?

A: Because Islam is becoming more and more radicalized over time and the West is acquiescing again.

I've traveled quite a bit and I do my best to respect the local culture when I'm in any country. But this is about control. The more we give, the more they take. It would be smarter to simply tell them we will respect their culture, but it's not our culture and we are not going to require our women to cover up. After all, we don't make their women take their scarfs off when they land in NYC, even though forcing a woman to wear a scarf is not an American value.
You're going to have to ask "every airline that travels to the ME" because I am not on the board, nor do I run their companies.

How do you know this wasn't suggested in the past, but no one ever whined about it until now? The point of my post was to illustrate that this is nothing new - telling people that acceptable clothing in certain countries should be respected and not to disrespect the people of that country by wearing attire that they would deem highly inappropriate, has been going on for a very long time. You ARE going to THEIR country. It doesn't matter if YOU don't like it, it's THEIR country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think warning their paying customers is a good thing. AFAIK, no airline could or would force passengers to comply.

Little different, IMO, than warning paying customers what the weather is like before they land.
Nice of you to belittle it like it's just a warning about the weather. It was far more than that, but you go on and pretend you know how it was done.

Quote:
That hijab rule is forced on people. Women don't want it. By kowtowing to the rule you are not "respecting" the people. You are part of the enforcement regime. Besides, hijab is for Muslims. Where does it say French citizens must follow Islam? When that Muslim delivery guy refused to deliver beer, every liberal stood up and cheered for him but now Air France crew has to suck it up and do as told. If Air France is so concerned about not hurting mullahs, may be they should send an all-Muslim crew to Tehran.
Again, it does not matter if YOU don't like it, that is not YOUR country. It is THEIR country, and if you are going to go there, you need to respect what that country wants, just as you would be expected to respect the customs and rules of ANY country.

I'm beginning to see why so many other countries say Americans are obnoxious travelers.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:08 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
In that case, they have to take their hijabs off when they land in New York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why would non-Mooslims have to wear rags on their head? Then Mooslim women should not be permitted to wear their masks and rags here. When in Rome...
Mmmm, yes. However, we don't have laws banning the wearing of a hijab here, now do we? Brilliant responses, simply brilliant.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I should refuse to fly there or best yet, parachute the passengers once the plane reach the border. Let them walk.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Again, it does not matter if YOU don't like it, that is not YOUR country. It is THEIR country, and if you are going to go there, you need to respect what that country wants, just as you would be expected to respect the customs and rules of ANY country.
Were hijab banned in the US and Iran Air flew here, should their flight attendants remove their hijabs? I have a feeling you'd be the first to invoke multiculturalism and ask for "reasonable accommodations" so they can break our law. In fact, Iran Air does fly to Paris where hijab IS banned. Are they flight going hijabless in Paris? I seriously doubt it. The point is we are being pushed around all over the world, not the least of which by the Islamic world.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Well we know what pairing all the junior F/As on reserve are going to be assigned...

Old 04-03-2016, 05:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Why would non-Mooslims have to wear rags on their head? Then Mooslim women should not be permitted to wear their masks and rags here. When in Rome...
When in the United States we tend not to believe the government should proscribe how you dress beyond women hiding their nipples and both sexes hiding their sexual organs.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:59 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
You have to wear pants, don't you? Or at least something covering your John Thomas.

As does every other person in the United States, when out in public.

Why is this any different? If some culture that doesn't wear pants came to the US, they'd have to wear pants. They would not be pants exempt.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Were hijab banned in the US and Iran Air flew here, should their flight attendants remove their hijabs? I have a feeling you'd be the first to invoke multiculturalism and ask for "reasonable accommodations" so they can break our law. In fact, Iran Air does fly to Paris where hijab IS banned. Are they flight going hijabless in Paris? I seriously doubt it. The point is we are being pushed around all over the world, not the least of which by the Islamic world.
We are talking about a scarf, here.

France bans veils that cover the face, not scarves that cover hair.

Women in Iran do not wear the burka/ veil.

You are likely confusing Iran with long time US ally, Saudi Arabia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies