Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 04:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

In fact, new immigrants may be assimilating a lot faster than than we had ever thought. A new study this week from economists Brian Duncan, of the University of Colorado, and Stephen Trejo of University of Texas, Austin finds that the descendents of immigrants from Latin-American and Asian countries quickly cease to identify as Hispanic or Asian on government surveys.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?tid=a_inl-amp

So much for the US becoming "majority minority" there. More and more "Hispanics" are turning their backs on la raza and, becoming "anglo white" in both culture and "race". Too; many Black/Hispanic kids simply ID as "Black".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:16 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Merica.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
When filling anything out in the US, if you can select "white," then you have a much better chances with whatever it is you are filling out.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:44 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,927,883 times
The liberal media and Democrats are all into ethnic politics, as are some segments of some populations, but that ignores the assimilation that is happening. I know many Hispanic Americans and Asian Americans who identify with the USA first and foremost, even those who were not originally born here. Many oppose illegal immigration and amnesty and believe in doing things the right way. I am Asian American, descended from LEGAL parents and most of my immediate and extended family are Republicans who support Donald Trump and Ted Cruz. I am of partial Chinese descent but we do not support the Chinese government or China as a nation, and we want more fair trade deals that benefit America and living in the US, we just like everyone else is concerned about the loss of AMerican jobs both to foreign countries like China, India, Brazil, Thailand etc and to illegal aliens.

LEGAL immigrants suffer job losses and depressed wages as a result of illegal immigration.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:04 AM

31,052 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70;43boxes 5
The liberal media and Democrats are all into ethnic politics, as are some segments of some populations, but that ignores the assimilation that is happening. I know many Hispanic Americans and Asian Americans who identify with the USA first and foremost, even those who were not originally born here. Many oppose illegal immigration and amnesty and believe in doing things the right way. I am Asian American, descended from LEGAL parents and most of my immediate and extended family are Republicans who support Donald Trump and Ted Cruz. I am of partial Chinese descent but we do not support the Chinese government or China as a nation, and we want more fair trade deals that benefit America and living in the US, we just like everyone else is concerned about the loss of AMerican jobs both to foreign countries like China, India, Brazil, Thailand etc and to illegal aliens.

LEGAL immigrants suffer job losses and depressed wages as a result of illegal immigration.
The governments little boxes seem to leave out the fact that many people of mixed heritage dont fit thier predefined categories.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:44 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
When filling anything out in the US, if you can select "white," then you have a much better chances with whatever it is you are filling out.
That must be why Elizabeth Warren pretended to be white up until the point she got tenure.

No, she pretended to be Native American, and she did that for a reason.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:47 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
Marrying a white person doesn't change your race. It just makes you a non-white person married to a white person.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:26 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
The article is off. Many only choose one because most surveys require that you choose one. Though the government has changed, it's likely that people choose one as a habit. That doesn't mean they don't ID as both or more backgrounds.

The article also refers to the second generation as immigrants. Since when are we immigrants when we are born and raised in this nation? Further, Hispanic is a category that is virtually non-existent outside of the U.S. so it's not like people are abandoning some longstanding cultural identification. In fact, thats an abandonment of an American label. The numbers in the article still show the majority of those of Hispanic and Asian descent identifying with their ethnicity, no matter the generation.

Again though, a person can have a white American parent and white Hispanic parent. It's a culturally mixed marriage. Here selecting "white" is not a rejection of Hispanic identity. Switch it with "black" and it's the same.

Personally, the American census and other so-called racial surveys are not at all indicative of how I identify. I've had to select one when I consider myself mixed. They are limited, so my forms vary in terms of selections.

Really, I identify with my cultural/ethnic background. For those who are familiar, it then goes without saying that I'm of mixed heritage.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 04-05-2016 at 02:43 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 07:26 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The article is off. Many only choose one because most surveys require that you choose one. Though the government has changed, it's likely that people choose one as a habit. That doesn't mean they don't ID as both or more backgrounds.

The article also refers to the second generation as immigrants. Since when are we immigrants when we are born and raised in this nation? Further, Hispanic is a category that is virtually non-existent outside of the U.S. so it's not like people are abandoning some longstanding cultural identification. In fact, thats an abandonment of an American label. The numbers in the article still show the majority of those of Hispanic and Asian descent identifying with their ethnicity, no matter the generation.

Again though, a person can have a white American parent and white Hispanic parent. It's a culturally mixed marriage. Here selecting "white" is not a rejection of Hispanic identity. Switch it with "black" and it's the same.

Personally, the American census and other so-called racial surveys are not at all indicative of how I identify. I've had to select one when I consider myself mixed. They are limited, so my forms vary in terms of selections.

Really, I identify with my cultural/ethnic background. For those who are familiar, it then goes without saying that I'm of mixed heritage.
I've known people of "brown" Mexican family who ain't culturally "Hispanic" at all like as in English only and so on.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:00 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Anyone else confused by the article? It says that Hispanics are identifying as non-Hispanics, then it presents a chart showing that 81.7% of third generation Hispanics consider themselves Hispanic. And using the term "only" with high percentages. Seems contradictory to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies