Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I get that it would harm personal investments by seniors, but what's the effect on social security? Presumably their investment mix, while more conservative than most people, would still be relatively aggressive because of low interest rates to offset the poor yield in bonds and cash accounts.
It means that any social security they save quickly devalues. But you hit on why it's being done. It's being done to force people out of safe investments and into the corrupt markets. If you do any reading you will understand that "main street" isn't playing this game so much any more as it's clear it's not being played on a fair playing field.

Is the Stock Market Still Rigged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 04:39 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It means that any social security they save quickly devalues.
It devalues even faster with high interest rates though. The 70s were a bloodbath on the value of social security.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It devalues even faster with high interest rates though. The 70s were a bloodbath on the value of social security.
Not if they are able to save any of it.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelofogo View Post
It's about being nickel and dimed. See Ehrenreich's book:

http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/...ckel+and+dimed
Ehrenreich is a Marxist douche nozzle. She knows nothing.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It means that any social security they save quickly devalues. But you hit on why it's being done. It's being done to force people out of safe investments and into the corrupt markets. If you do any reading you will understand that "main street" isn't playing this game so much any more as it's clear it's not being played on a fair playing field.

Is the Stock Market Still Rigged?
wow you nailed that one, well done

Old 04-30-2016, 01:07 PM

1,042 posts, read 875,003 times
[quote=nicet4;43703015]I was broke once.

Romaine noodles it was; breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We baby boomers had it so good!

It was during this time I did two illegal things. Actually three. I had to see the doctor so I went to the emergency room and never paid the bill.

I was really sick so I checked into a motel and escaped the next morning without paying my room. I don't know how I got it the room but it was really the days before credit cards and I got the room when I checked in. I was so sick I really didn't care because if I had gone to jail at least I would have received some food. It was early 1973 after all.

A roommate, who I became friends with, and I dressed up in the nicest clothes we had with a box collecting for "Sisters of the Charity Poor" or something. We went door to door in the nice sections of the hills of Hayward collecting food for... yep... we ate all of it. I was a bad boy.

I didn't know that Top Ramen was available back then. I am envious! I mostly ate elbow macaroni with ketchup and "wish" sandwiches [ "wish" there was something to put between those 2 slices of bread] Not so horrible for me because when young it is so much easier to rid your body of sugar before it poisons you.

I did a few things that were not illegal but really should have been. When a guy flirted with me I often told him that I was hungry. He would take me somewhere nice to eat. When I finished eating i would tell him I needed to use the restroom and then just leave the restaurant. Should have been illegal. Definitely wrong.

I was so proud of my couch with springs popping out that I pulled from a curb, my bookcase made from cinder blocks and 2 by 4s, and my decorative strings made from pull tabs that I hung in the opening between rooms. It was all good.

But, though I DID go without many luxuries that many millenials take for granted, it was differrent. You see, I kNEW that if I worked hard and was careful with whatever resources I had, that the poverty was temporary. An adventure in fact. Todays' young people have no reason to believe that it's temporary, because for many it won't be. And that is how we boomers did have it much easier.

Last edited by vicky3vicky; 04-30-2016 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: missed w in wish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies