Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 07:09 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
He was promoted from Chief Brand Officer to CEO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:13 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
He was promoted from Chief Brand Officer to CEO.
Quite a raise for a promotion, I can only imagine how good of a promotion one gets there from cashier to manager.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Companies address this four ways.

One: Hire contractors on-demand as specific skill sets are needed.
Two: Poach.
Three: Poach.
Four: Poach.

On-the-job training is pretty rare as a result.

A lot of this is Silicon Valley practices coming to St Louis now that tech is exploding here. Even though Missouri does not have the strong protections against non-competes that California has, companies who enforce strong non-competes are finding it too difficult to get candidates.
(Meanwhile, companies who cannot offer competitive salaries are recruiting for entry level talent and binding them with the highly restrictive non-competes allowed under Missouri law: 24 month blanket clauses covering the entire state and/or hundreds of miles.)
I know that individual stories on the internet are worthless but we are the only ones that make what we make with what we make it with.

We make it on machinery that is 80 years old which gives it properties that are hard to duplicate with new machinery.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
When I was living on my own, I was making enough to be making a living wage back then.
As a teenager, you lived on your own and could support yourself through a paper route or some other min wage job?

Where did you live?

In your parents basement?

Quote:
And no, these low rung jobs have not kept up with inflation, and the buying power is much less today than when I was younger for those same jobs.
Because min wage are jobs meant for 16 year olds with working papers, not the head of a household who has to support a family.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
When I was living on my own, I was making enough to be making a living wage back then.

And no, these low rung jobs have not kept up with inflation, and the buying power is much less today than when I was younger for those same jobs.
Are you claiming that you were able to live alone on minimum wage?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
As a teenager, you lived on your own and could support yourself through a paper route or some other min wage job?

Where did you live?

In your parents basement?

Because min wage are jobs meant for 16 year olds with working papers, not the head of a household who has to support a family.
When did I say I was living on my own working a paper route? You seem to be mixing up posts, I have never had a paper route.

Quote:
Are you claiming that you were able to live alone on minimum wage?
Years ago, I was working just above minimum wage and owned a 2 bedroom condo that I could afford on my own, though I did have a roommate at the time to free up money.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
When did I say I was living on my own working a paper route? You seem to be mixing up posts, I have never had a paper route.

Years ago, I was working just above minimum wage and owned a 2 bedroom condo that I could afford on my own, though I did have a roommate at the time to free up money.
How did you acquire the property?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is certainly not my recollection, do you have data that would support that claim? There is a 'ripple effect' from minimum wage increases but economists have found that it is limited to those making less than 150% of the minimum wage. And I checked several sources and all of them appear to show that wages took a dump in 2009
The point being?

Old 04-18-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
How did you acquire the property?
With my income and money I had saved.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:20 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
I said "or through some other minimum wage job".

Nice try....

Quote:
So under minimum wage can afford one a 2 bed condo.

Roommate to help with the bills is a plus.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-18-2016 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies