Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:06 PM

596 posts, read 428,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am not a smoker. I get irritated when people smoke in proximity to me because it really stinks. its nasty.

I really wish every smoker could smell themselves. getting in an elevator with a smoker right after they have smoked is terrible.

that being said, I know some vapers and what I notice is... no stink... the same guy that irritiated me with his cig, no longer irritiates me because I cannot smell the vapor. its very nice.

Beyond that, there are 15000 chemicals in a cigarette and most are very bad things. with vaping, you get a far shorter list.... then there are the stories posted here by people that have cut down on nicotine drastically by going to Vapor.

I am for it. It just has to be better than smoking for people. I would not suggest a non smoker pick it up, that just seems silly. But for smokers? I wish you all would go to it. for your own sake.

My wife used vaping to quit smoking real cigs. Then, she quit vaping. In 30 days her average heart rate went down from 71 to 60. 30 days. (She wears a fitbit 24 hours a day). Her fitness has improved markedly.

It may be helpful, but adults with pacifiers are just plain sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 12:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I assume this means you're going to stop breathing.

I've been vaping for about 8 years. I started when Obama signed SCHIP, which quadrupled the cost of cigarettes. Within a month, I had stopped coughing and felt like a new person.

Hope this answers the OP's question.
Ditto! Along with saved a whole BUNCH of $$$$$.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
My wife used vaping to quit smoking real cigs. Then, she quit vaping. In 30 days her average heart rate went down from 71 to 60. 30 days. (She wears a fitbit 24 hours a day). Her fitness has improved markedly.

It may be helpful, but adults with pacifiers are just plain sad.
No matter if they're in their hands or mouth as in a phone,ipad,blackberry or game controller.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Cloud chasers and their attention seeking are the ones that help to get vaping banned in public places. We were at a city council meeting trying to keep vaping from being added to the city smoking ban, and the chasers were outside blowing clouds for the news cameras. I have vaped for 6 years and never had any problems. I would ask the management of a business if it was ok to vape and follow their rules. Now you can not vape inside of any business, except for vape shops, and not within 25 feet of any doorway. You can't even vape on patios at restaurants anymore.
And when you talk to those "cloud chasers" and ask what ml of nicotine they're using, most always the answer will be "uhh, ZERO"... I've used it on planes (yesterday to be exact) and in almost any venue I've been in. If one is discrete and one has a flavor that's not "deep tobacco 1000" or some such offensive smell one can get by.
I also found quite a while ago that if you hold your vape in for a few the "smoke" (vapor) goes away so nobody will even notice.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Part of the appeal of vaping is that it is less intrusive on others in terms of smell. You probably don't reek after hitting a vape the way that a cigarette makes you smell.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:49 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
they vape to look cool? LOL

if they only knew how pathetic they actually looked. Desperately sucking on something like a heroin addict. I once saw a couple crouched down in an airport vaping like they were taking the very last breaths they could. Everyone was staring at them with pity.
I say the same about most people just breathing.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:20 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Nicotine is a naturally occurring compound found in cauliflower, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and others. Are veggies no longer healthy?
No nicotine, no dopamine, no sex.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
What is the appeal of vaping? Is it considered macho, edgy, quirky, sexy, alternative, or...? I understand the pop culture mythology of cigarettes, but I can't figure out the vape subculture. The majority of vapers I have encountered vape very conspicuously, blowing huge clouds of steam in public, so it seems to be something they consider cool. Help me "get it"?
Here are some bullet points:

*Vaping has helped many people quit traditional tobacco cigarettes who have otherwise not found success after trying a myriad of patches, pills, and gums offered by Big Pharma...

*Health centers in the UK have found that vaping is up to 95% safer that traditional cigarettes, and while U.S. officials aren't willing to go that far, they begrudgingly admit that it's almost certainly healthier than traditional cigarettes

*Big Tobacco has attempted to tap the vaping market but are consistently being beat out by small startups that offer superior products

*The U.S. government, via the FDA, has officially declared war on the vaping industry.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-02-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
I'm not considering it; quite the opposite in fact: it does not appeal to me on any level, which made me curious as to what others see in it.

I had strongly suspected that the "stop smoking" angle was more PR move than anything else, kind of like recreational pot users claiming they have a medical condition (in areas where that loophole is available), so I'm really intrigued by the responses from people who have honestly found that it helped them stop smoking. (Personally, I'm skeptical of vaping actually being any safer, but if it's helped you in your life then that's great.)

Thanks to all who have replied so far!
There are 4 ingredients in most vape e-liquid

Propylene Glycol
Vegetable Glycerin
Flavoring
Nicotine

All of these, save for nicotine, can be found in a myriad of food and cosmetic products that you probably use everyday, and are regarded as generally safe. As for the nicotine, no it is not "safe" per se', but the nicotine is not the most dangerous aspect of smoking tobacco, it's the thousands of other chemicals present in burning tobacco leaves.

I think common sense would dictate that it is at least much safer than traditional tobacco products, and if people are able to quit smoking who otherwise wouldn't have, that's a net positive.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling So I don't understand why politicians wouldn't allow vaping when it helps some people reduce or even quit their smoking habit which is worse. And trading a really bad habit for a less worse one that doesn't annoy and irritate other people nearly as much seems like a good thing to me.
One reason is because every time I puff on an e-cig instead of a traditional tobacco cigarette, that's exorbitantly high tax dollars the government isn't getting...

Also, the next time you hear a politician rail against vaping, go check and see how much the pharmaceutical industry or the tobacco lobby donated to their campaign... If I'm using an e-cig, that means I'm not using traditional cigarettes or patches, pills or gums.

It's about money.... It's ALWAYS about money. Every decision in life can be traced back to money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies