Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 09:01 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Proof?
Your own article is a wonderful proof and I quote:

Quote:
Sofia, whose family asked that her full name not be used, wrote a letter to President Barack Obama after noticing the lack of women on U.S. currency while working on a class project.

“It makes things feel fair,” Sofia said Thursday.
Not sure how much more clear it needs to be. Tubman is clearly an affirmative action choice to make things "fair" even though hundreds of people had more influence and more achievements!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Affirmative Action cuts both ways. I have a good friend who is white who attended college on a scholarship at South Carolina State, a black school, because they had quotas they had to meet. She has been school teacher now for more than 20 years.
Affirmative action should have been outlawed!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:03 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
We have quotas because white people won't let non-whites advance without them. It's not racist to say that either. It's the truth. Just look at the controversy created by putting a black woman on a bill.

America has made many strides forward, but still has a long way to go.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Even Bill O'Reilly thinks Tubman is a good choice. Hard to make a case that O'Reilly is "politically correct".

Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
We have quotas because white people won't let non-whites advance without them. It's not racist to say that either. It's the truth. Just look at the controversy created by putting a black woman on a bill.

It is not because she is black but because she is not deserving compared to othe candidates and was put on their because she is black and a female.

Big difference from what you are asserting. I wager you do not even see that noting as how you hate white folks.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Won't let? What do you mean? Didn't we elect a non white president twice?

The controversy is because she was chosen for her gender and skin color not for her achievements!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:20 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
For those of us that consider "freedom" the sweetest word in the English language helping escaping slaves is a pretty big deal.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:22 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Your own article is a wonderful proof and I quote:

Not sure how much more clear it needs to be. Tubman is clearly an affirmative action choice to make things "fair" even though hundreds of people had more influence and more achievements!
My article? You seem confused. I linked no article.

In any case, you have already chosen your stance. According to you:

If a woman is chosen it's sexist.

If a non-white person is chosen it's racist.

As for me, yes, I believe it is FAIR to put a woman's face on our money.

Definition of 'fair', as used in this particular context:

in accordance with the rules or standards; legitimate.
"the group has achieved fair and equal representation for all its members"

synonyms: just, equitable, honest, upright, honorable, trustworthy;

Old 04-22-2016, 09:24 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

The controversy is because she was chosen for her gender and skin color not for her achievements!
As a minority woman yourself, I wonder if you knew that She was buried at Fort Hill Cemetery in Auburn with military honors. She continues to be an enduring symbol of self-sacrifice, persistence, patriotism, and humanitarianism. Maybe it is about time that we stop looking at everybody as "color" and "gender"? There is really no difference between her and Oskar Schindler in my opinion.

I am not sure if Andrew Jackson should be "replaced", but saying Harriet Tubman didn't achieve anything is not true.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
As a minority woman yourself, I wonder if you knew that She was buried at Fort Hill Cemetery in Auburn with military honors. She continues to be an enduring symbol of self-sacrifice, persistence, patriotism, and humanitarianism. Maybe it is about time that we stop looking at everybody as "color" and "gender"? There is really no difference between her and Oskar Schindler in my opinion.

I am not sure if Andrew Jackson should be "replaced", but saying Harriet Tubman didn't achieve anything is not true.
Where did I say she didn't achieve anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies