Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 07:16 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If Ronald Reagan had been chosen instead of Tubman, none of them would be insisting that he was unfairly picked because of his race and gender.
Not if someone said we had to select a white man and then Reagan was picked.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
I would rather it be a combination of all the elements which made this country,-planter, farmer, machine worker, seamen, lawyer, etc.etc. Like those murals you see at Disney or at a museum.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times
I never have a $20 dollar bill in my wallet. Actually, I never have any money in my wallet at all.

I AM MARRIED!!!!!

But other than that, I am homebound, so any shopping done is online with saved credit card info. Gotta love points. I don't think Harriet gives points, does she?

Old 04-23-2016, 07:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Its just burning them from inside - first a black president, now a black person on a bill. However this is necessary to ensure that the future generations of these racists are not as racist..
Who's the black president? Obama is not black. He's mixed race. Why race is even an factor in selecting a president? Only a racist would think that way.

I have never had any problem with any candidate's race, gender and religion but I am against their policies including the ones from Obama, Clinton and Sanders.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:35 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Andrew Jackson - I would say the deciding factor of him being there on the 20 dollar bills was The Battle of New Orleans. He was considered an American hero back then.

he was the first true "common man" to become President; and the age of Jackson is often called the Age of the Common Man. He also is credited for preserving the Union at a time when his Vice President, John C. Calhoun led a protest against the Tariff of 1828 in which South Carolina threatened to secede.

Jackson is seen as being very significant because he is a symbol for the idea that all Americans are equal and that you don't have to have been born to an elite family to get ahead.

That said, Jackson has his bad points. Specifically, he was very anti-Indian and he was a slave holder. Of course, both Washington and Jefferson had slaves too so that is no disqualification.

Shouldn't remove him from the bill in my opinion.

So like I posted earlier, she deserves to be honored. Absolutely. But Andrew Jackson, shouldn't be removed unless you insist on judging a historical figure using perfect hindsight.

every country has those moments. Look at how Australians treated their aborigines. And nobody seems to bring up Belgium anymore, which did things so bad to the Africans that European lodged complaints.
According to the linked piece in the OP, President Jackson is not being removed from the bill.

Even so, some seem to be a tad more emotionally involved in resisting any changes proposed than you have expressed here. Demonstrating by the use of emotionally charged language to express their resistance to change, for example, calling it "tragic" claiming that President Jackson is "being sacrificed on an altar of political correctness" & "national tragedy" & so on. Personally, it's a bit melodramatic, especially when suggesting "taking a nuanced view of history" at the same time, (agreeing the last part makes sense).

In any event, the proposed changes don't take place until 2020, & are so planned to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the 19th amendment. Presumably, that will leave more than enough time to avert the 'national tragedy'.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times
Default Tangent Discussion of US Cents (Pennies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you want to get paid in something actually "worth" something. Get paid in pennies.
Melt the pennies down and resell the copper... Then you will get more "worth" from your money, than a printed piece of paper, that has nothing backing it.
$100 in(old) pennies, will pay you almost $400, in copper weight.
The new pennies made with the different backs, have a lot of tin and are no longer pure copper.
$2.24 an ounce, as of noon today
A $1 roll of pennies weighs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
By old pennies, you mean any penny made before 1981....because anything after that, it is just mostly zinc.
What's a Penny Made Of?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
That's why I save all my pre 1983 pennies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
or old copper pennies
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
It seems a lot of work to chase pennies and then melt them, also illegal
OldDocKat is spot-on:
• Hoarding US Cents (pennies) is a lot of work for little value.
• Yes, it's currently illegal to melt them down. Once we come to our senses and stop circulating pennies (as Canada has already done successfully) this no-melt law will likely change.
Hundreds of billions of cents have been minted over the past 100+ years. When the US eventually gets around to rounding transactions to the nearest nickel, why will we need these billions of pennies?

If you're looking to capitalize on this "save your copper" idea, posters Cliftonpdx, MJJersey and cruxan are saving the right ones... old copper pennies, 1982 and earlier. Since '82 was the transition year, only save pennies of that year if you know how to tell the difference between copper and zinc. (BTW, nice link Clifton!)

But currently the value of copper is way off its all-time high making BentBows's ratios a bit generous. Copper in old pennies will someday be worth 4¢ or more for each, but today's value is barely 1.5¢ 1909-1982 Lincoln Copper Penny Melt Value - Coinflation

Hedging Inflation?: Although the purchasing power of precious metals has kept up with or surpassed inflation over the past half century, the same is not true of base metals. Gold and silver are effective currency devaluation hedges. Nickel or copper, no.

Consider our "nickel" coin. It's the only American coin made from the same material today as 150 years ago! Hoarding nickels from then until now would have "rewarded" you with a 93% loss in purchasing power.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:32 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times
Shortsightedness.
Does any individual personify America? NO! The practice of picturing leaders on currency is an outdated holdover from emperor worship!

It's time to jettison this archaic nonsense and totally redesign our currency from scratch.
Currency Makeover:

Obverses: Put the American Flag on the single, American symbolism+ on the two, Golden Gate Bridge on the five, The Grand Canyon on the Ten, Independence Hall on the Twenty, Map of the 50 states on the fifty, and Statue of Liberty on the hundred.

Reverses: Put on Pledge of Allegiance on the single, the Preamble to the Constitution on the two, Kennedy's Inaugural quote# on the five, Roosevelt's conservation quote* on the Ten, the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence on the Twenty, The Gettysburg Address on the fifty, and the The Bill of Rights on the hundred.

+ Eagle, Liberty Bell, etc.
# "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country."
* "We have fallen heirs to the most glorious heritage a people ever received, and each one must do his part if we wish to show that the nation is worthy of its good fortune."

Old 04-23-2016, 08:47 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
To be totally honest and all BS aside, I have no problem with HT being on any bill. The only thing that bothers me about it is that there are so many more important problems that are being completely ignored. This is the stuff the Obama Administration drills down on, not the national debt that he has done absolutely nothing about except to grow it and an unprecedented rate. He is not fulfilling his obligations to the people or the constitution of the US as a whole, he is just out for this agenda and it's very frustrating for many of us who hoped for so much more from him. What a disappointment.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:49 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Martin Luther King should have been on a bill a long time ago. I honestly think it's because he was a man of God that they have kept him off this long. One of the greatest leaders in our nation's history.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:51 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times
I think using Tubman is a good thing.
Every time a person pulls out a $20, and look at her stern face, Harriet will ask "Are you really going to spend $20 on THAT? REALLY?
Major savings will ensue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies