Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I guess I should preemptively strike against another very common flawed logic that the right keeps using on this topic.

Another obviously flawed logic regarding CO2 is that plants breathes in CO2 and therefore CO2 must be the planet's friend and we should pump as much of it as we can into the atmosphere to help out the plants.

Here is why this argument is flawed. We all agree that water is our friend, right? Without water, we would die. I drink several bottles of water a day. Therefore, since water is so good for us I should stick my head into a bathtub of water and never pull it out.

See how flawed this type of argument is?

Possibly the worst analogy ever.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:50 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Possibly the worst analogy ever.
Can you offer a counterpoint? Or just offer a hit and run attack?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Ok, let me give you an example to try to show you why your logic is so obviously flawed.

Suppose I say drinking cyanide will kill you. You then point to your grandfather saying he didn't drink any cyanide and he died. You then conclude that because your grandfather died not from cyanide, it must be the case that cyanide is harmless.

See the flaw in your logic?

No one denies that climate goes through cyclical periods. That's a given. Just because the climate changes gradually over time through natural processes doesn't mean there aren't any consequence when we artificially create the change ourselves.

Let's go back to my example about death. Just because we all will die of old age eventually doesn't mean we should all drink cyanide right now to end it all.
I cannot believe you would criticize someone and use an example like that in this topic. It's a very poor example.

A correct example would be to say that salt will kill you, however it's also necessary for life. See the correlation with CO2? That's a proper example.

Furthermore while you may have a heart attack it may not because of salt, it could because of many other factors. See the correlation with global warming? Again, a proper example.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
I guess I should preemptively strike against another very common flawed logic that the right keeps using on this topic.

Another obviously flawed logic regarding CO2 is that plants breathes in CO2 and therefore CO2 must be the planet's friend and we should pump as much of it as we can into the atmosphere to help out the plants.

Here is why this argument is flawed. We all agree that water is our friend, right? Without water, we would die. I drink several bottles of water a day. Therefore, since water is so good for us I should stick my head into a bathtub of water and never pull it out.

See how flawed this type of argument is?
I wouldn't suggest sticking your head into a bathtub full of CO2 either because you'll asphyxiate yourself.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:08 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I cannot believe you would criticize someone and use an example like that in this topic. It's a very poor example.

A correct example would be to say that salt will kill you, however it's also necessary for life. See the correlation with CO2? That's a proper example.

Furthermore while you may have a heart attack it may not because of salt, it could because of many other factors. See the correlation with global warming? Again, a proper example.
Thank you for the better example.

My excuse is I've been working about 14 hours a day. But supposedly, since I'm a liberal I must be also on welfare LOL.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:11 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post

But...they don't believe in science
This is such an ignorant line to repeat from the DNC, as Democrats also ignore/deny science when it suits them.

Democrats are more likely to deny the science that one's IQ is largely driven by DNA.

Democrats are more likely to deny the science that some personality traits are driven by DNA.

Democrats are more likely to ignore the studies that show no long term benefits from programs like Head Start.

Democrats are significantly more likely to deny the science on vaccines and autism.

Democrats are far more likely to deny the science on genetically modified foods.

Democrats are about twice as likely or more to believe in ghosts, astrology, black magic, reincarnation, voodoo, spiritual benefits of yoga, etc...

Old 04-28-2016, 04:34 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
This has gotten quite comical.

I want more bathtub analogies.

I think the headline alarmism is what many are failing to see the humor, and irony in.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:50 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Sigh...right wingers....they believe in an invisible man in the sky and they believe taxes create surpluses

Conservatives believe in science.

But we know that there are some people who try to use science to advance an agenda too.

And when the agenda is paramount, the normal skepticism inherent in normal
scientific method has a way of being swept under the rug.

Sometimes people see what they want to see. And sometimes people get paid to see what others want then to see.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:38 AM

572 posts, read 280,157 times
CO2 IS NOT THE ONLY DRIVER OF CLIMATE CHANGE.

It would be so much better if we didn't have to address the same dumb arguments over and over again.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:00 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Sigh...right wingers....they believe in an invisible man in the sky and they believe taxes create surpluses

Science can only exist if it is challenged.

To believe charlatans trying to install a political agenda through human caused global warming, then global warming and now climate change, and a cadre of academic grant suckers is to swallow propaganda without a whiff of 'science'.

The only effort to convince non believers is through literary nuance.

So despite the non believers, the government has levied taxes and instiuted legislation and regulation to halt the feared human caused global warming. It doesn't matter if there are non believers because warmers have taken action.

So where are we with all the effort to date?

will it be stopped in time to save the planet?

when will the HCGW be stopped and HCglobal cooling begin?

So where is the 'science'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies