Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 03:36 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I guess you're right. The Donald say's one of the first things he will do is kill Obamacare and replace it "with something wonderful". I and the rest of the nation patiently await the unveiling of the "Something Wonderful"....
I think it's i the same file as Dick Nixon's secret plan to successfully end the Vietnam War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 04:33 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The Swiss system is but one choice, and IMO we could certainly do worse. And it is not so far a stretch to imagine a series of huge private Medicare Advantage companies delivering the bulk of our national HC. Might sound like the '90's. Note that the Swiss have about the second most expensive HC after the USA. So it might more likely work, vs some other cheaper system.
Seems like a pretty wild roll of the dice on something so big and thats literally got life and death impact on millions of people. Bottom line is that we need transparency in the existing system so free market pricing can balance out the ridiculous costs. Instead of trying to give it away to everyone, we need to fix the pricing first, which would likely reduce the need to give it away except to the most destitute and in need.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Seems like a pretty wild roll of the dice on something so big and thats literally got life and death impact on millions of people. Bottom line is that we need transparency in the existing system so free market pricing can balance out the ridiculous costs. Instead of trying to give it away to everyone, we need to fix the pricing first, which would likely reduce the need to give it away except to the most destitute and in need.
Government is heavily involved in health care now, possibly more than you know. Medicare pays for a lot of medical residencies (physician post-grad ed and training). Many hospitals are supported by the state university systems. Etc. "Free market pricing" is a pipe dream. I'd settle for more transparency in communicating the costs.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:58 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The Swiss plan is not wild by any means, and all are covered with relatively few complaints there. They have a mostly private market system, but with severe central controls.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
2000 doctors is not the bulk of the more than 970,000 doctors in the USA.

very misleading title when 2000 is just a raction of the 970,000 doctors

U.S. Physicians - Statistics & Facts | Statista
Agreed, those doctors are just a fraction of the doctors licensed to practice medicine in the USA. But they wrote a piece for a prestigious medical journal and put their reputations on the line to have the conversation within the medical community. I started the thread and reposted it to have that conversation here, in the C-D, P&OC forum.
My gripe is the republicans who insist on killing Obamacare. They can give you chapter and verse of all the things Obamacare does and mostly doesn't do but they haven't got a clue what they would do once they kill the goose.

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:00 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Agreed, those doctors are just a fraction of the doctors licensed to practice medicine in the USA. But they wrote a piece for a prestigious medical journal and put their reputations on the line to have the conversation within the medical community. I started the thread and reposted it to have that conversation here, in the C-D, P&OC forum.
My gripe is the republicans who insist on killing Obamacare. They can give you chapter and verse of all the things Obamacare does and mostly doesn't do but they haven't got a clue what they would do once they kill the goose.

Thanks for the input.
Nothing need be done. Get out of the way and let the market take care of it...just like shoes,computers, TV's,cell phones, etc.

Of course those 2000 doctors who wrote into the prestigious medical journal won't like the fact that they'll actually have to prove their worth to the customer in a free and open market.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Seems the bulk of American doctors want universal healthcare for all and make no bones about it. They say Obamacare was a start but didn't go far enough. Meanwhile, Republicans want to scrap Obamacare and replace it with...................NOTHING!
If you can't believe your doctor, I ask, who can you believe?

'We need fundamental changes': US doctors call for universal healthcare | US news | The Guardian

"A group of more than 2,000 physicians is calling for the establishment of a universal government-run health system in the US, in a paper in the American Journal of Public Health.

According to the proposal released Thursday, the Affordable Care Act did not go far enough in removing barriers to healthcare access. The physicians’ bold plan calls for implementing a single-payer system similar to Canada’s, called the National Health Program, that would guarantee all residents healthcare.

The new single-payer system would be funded mostly by existing US government funding. The physicians point out that the US government already pays for two-thirds of all healthcare spending in the US, and a single-payer system would cut down on administrative costs, so a transition to a single-payer system would not require significant additional spending".
This is a ploy by the Establishment, nothing more, nothing less, and also the insurance companies, to gain people's trust and votes for this so called affordable health care.

I recently has back surgery, have a 17 inch scare on my back. I asked my doctor about this, and he told me, he hasn't even had one patient use it yet, and they are now Rothman Institute.

I'm sorry, but did you actually go and sit down and talk with your doctor about this? Or, do you simply want it to pass because you have no health insurance and b/c they tell you it's free? Someone is going to have to pay for this...

And let me tell you, if this country isn't on it's way to being a 3rd world country. I had 4 different procedures done on my back, and I live alone, but the hospital sent me home the very next day?????

I cannot tell you the pain I was in....also asked my doctor about that, he told me, it was the hospital that does that and not the insurance company.

He explained, if something would have happened, and I'd have gotten an infection, it would have been a huge strike on that hospital. However, I don't know what he meant by that.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:51 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Nothing need be done. Get out of the way and let the market take care of it...just like shoes,computers, TV's,cell phones, etc.

Of course those 2000 doctors who wrote into the prestigious medical journal won't like the fact that they'll actually have to prove their worth to the customer in a free and open market.
Yeah, because "the market" cares about preventing epidemics or screening for colon or breast cancer.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:55 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Yeah, because "the market" cares about preventing epidemics or screening for colon or breast cancer.
People are the market and if they care it will happen.
Does Uncle Sam tuck you into bed at night too?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Oh that'll work just fine! All those things you mentioned being influenced by the market are off-shored to lower cost production countries. You gonna start importing your healthcare now...oh wait, no you're merely going to watch as you export patients instead.

Medical Tourism - Medical Travel Company - Affordable Surgery

Medical Tourism | Features | CDC

Once again; no thought given to the little guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies