Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 01:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Thanks for the article.......see what happens when people decide trees will manage themselves.....
Left to do their own thing they would fine, they have managed to survive for millions of years. It's the wrong type of management that has caused this. Forest fires are natural event and healthy for the forest, some even require them for regeneration. In the past fires were frequent and they would quickly burn up the fuel, this is healthy for the forest and they would quickly recover. We have been putting them out for the last hundred years and that has lead to a massive amount of fuel on the ground. A fire today burns everything up leaving a sterile landscape.

There is no easy solution for this, prescribed burns and management though logging is the only thing that will get them back to more natural state. Once they get to that point you can just let it burn on a natural cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
..... we need to take a more in depth look into at the possibility of adding new equipment and creating new methods to extinguish and contain forest/wild land fires.
Containment is not a good practice, you're interrupting a natural cycle. Forests need to burn to remain healthy, that or they need to be managed with logging.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:41 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
I don't know the situation with this wildfire but last summer fire crews from several countries, including The U.S., were battling wildfires in Alberta:

Crews from Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, U.S. in Alberta fighting wildfires | Globalnews.ca

From the article: "sharing firefighters throughout the world is fairly routine practice."

I wouldn't presume to judge any decisions now. I'm not a fire expert.

Edited to add: In addition to the thread in the Canada forum there is a third thread in the Current Events forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/curre...l#post43979871

Last edited by cdnirene; 05-08-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 02:58 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Fracking for oil is not done in the entirety of Canada.

But on that point.......

Canada wildfire explodes in size, approaches oil sands project

Major oil sands producers scale back output, shut down as wildfire rages - The Globe and Mail

"Amrita Sen, chief oil analyst at Energy Aspects, said she understood from industry contacts that as much as 800,000 barrels per day of production was either taken off-line or was in the process of being shut down on Wednesday."

That's all good news for Americans as your crude prices will spike accordingly.
I'm glad they are so responsible about the way they rape the land and spoil millions of gallons of fresh water.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:14 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
I mean where is the Canadian military? If they aren't already on the scene they should be as here in the U.S. State National Guards are typically activated to help extinguish/contain forest fires.
The Canadian Armed Forces have been on the scene since Premier Notley requested their help. They are working alongside others in doing what they can to extinguish fires, provide shelter to those in need etc. In addition it has been military transport planes which have moved people out of the danger zones when people couldn't drive due to closed roads etc.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm glad they are so responsible about the way they rape the land and spoil millions of gallons of fresh water.
You can't be serious!

You mentioned fracking and didn't bother to educate yourself about the billions of gallons of your source water destroyed along with creating billions more of contaminated water with that practice, then come back with that stupidity? Really?

An old study:

Groundbreaking Report Calculates Damage Done by Fracking

"The report measured key indicators of fracking threats across the country, including:

280 billion gallons of toxic wastewater generated in 2012—enough to flood all of Washington, DC, in a 22-foot deep toxic lagoon
450,000 tons of air pollution produced in one year
250 billion gallons of fresh water used since 2005
360,000 acres of land degraded since 2005
100 million metric tons of global warming pollution since 2005
Fracking also inflicts other damage not quantified in the report—ranging from contamination of residential wells to ruined roads to earthquakes at disposal sites."

Your back yard needs some serious cleaning up before you presume to lecture Canada.

The topic of the thread again is a major fire in Alberta.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

280 billion gallons of toxic wastewater generated in 2012—enough to flood all of Washington, DC, in a 22-foot deep toxic lagoon

250 billion gallons of fresh water used since 2005
I don't know what the laws are elsewhere but here in PA that water needs to be treated or disposed of properly. The largest issue is the salt content.

They use a lot of water but not a concern here,in the eastern part of the state water is drained through the Susquehanna river basin. The amount they use in an entire year will flow past a point midstate in a few seconds... that's seconds. The only concern is they are not taking too much from smaller tributaries, water rights are restricted or even removed during low water events. It just ends up costing them a little more money because they need to move it further.

Long term this will probably be net benefit for the environment. They want to use tax incentives to get them to use mine run off. This plan has wide support across the board including environmentalists. The only sticking point is gas companies want indemnity from any environmental damage that may occur because of what is already in the water.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I read about our neighbors next door having to deal with that really bad fire in Alberta; have any other other countries stepped up or at least asked Canada if they need backup in controlling this monster or at least helping out the many people now homeless?

Being an American; I ain't real happy that the US ain't helping out. Unless the MSM is being real quiet about outside help, I don't know.
All Canada has to do is ask.

Agreements are in place between the two countries for sharing firefighting resources. Most of the time it is aircraft.

However, a couple of years ago Canadian fire crews were dispatched to fires in the United States.

A decade ago, my assistant was dispatched to Canada to assist with fires. He did find out that his US Government credit card, his US government gas card, AND his US government cell phone ALL did NOT work in Canada!!! Other than that he did enjoy his assignment.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:16 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Fortunately cooler weather is helping the fire fighters turn the corner it seems in the large fire. Weather will remain much more favourable the next week or two as it will be much cooler. Rain isnt as promising, but you take what you can. From following Canadian news outlets, etc right now Alberta has been handling it pretty well as it is the only large fire in the province attm. Federal government has sent in some planes, etc to assist. But at this time no requests for assistance has come.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Fires happen. They have happened and they will happen. They're SUPPOSED to happen. Its just that people live in forests or in fire prone areas and then its a big deal when their houses burn down. Its like living along the coast. Hurricanes happen. Tornadoes happen. Earthquakes happen. Floods happen. I believe that introduced insects have led to the deaths of trees which have made the fires worse.
Canadians are a resilient bunch and I'm sure we're helping them, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies