Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:03 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Our local paper is owned by the Gannett. Recently they downsized the paper delivered on Monday and Tuesday and raised the cost of purchase to $0.75. The entire Monday paper is two thin sections now. In today's paper they announced even further cutbacks in content and size while still maintaining the same price increase. It's sad that the newspaper for a city nearly an hour's drive away has more news for this area than our own paper owned by the Gannett (the other paper is locally owned in that city).

What I want to know is if this is also going on in other newspapers acros the country owned by the Gannett, which also owns USA Today?

I'm thinking of buying one of those RIP cross road signs they use as a crash site memorial. Put it up in front of their offices. R.I.P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post

What I want to know is if this is also going on in other newspapers acros the country owned by the Gannett, which also owns USA Today?

I'm thinking of buying one of those RIP cross road signs they use as a crash site memorial. Put it up in front of their offices. R.I.P.
Yes, Asheville Citizen-Times also a Gannett birdcage liner is downsizing. Layoff's, and have closed the local printing facility. Our paper is now printed in Greenville SC, about 65 miles away, which is also another Gannett paper. Also raised the daily price to 75¢.

It is the regions only daily paper, but content is pathetic. When something local is going down, it might get some mention but no meat. To find out what is really going on, I go online and read the local independent weekly paper. They actually seem to have reporters that dig deep into what is going on instead of just regurgitating a press release from city council, police, or other agency.

I still get the Gannett birdcage liner as they haven't increase home deliver prices yet, and my Labrador Retriever takes great joy in retrieving the paper every morning.
Geez now that I think about it, that is probably the only reason I haven't canceled it

Gannett might be one of the companies we see go under in 09, think my dog might be the only one that would really miss it

Old 01-04-2009, 04:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Newspapers are the past. They just don't know it yet.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:29 PM

I wrote to them and suggested that they print one section devoted to only local news and advertisements and slip it within the USA Today and deliver that instead of their usual rag. At least that way I'd get some articles that are well written even if it has nothing to do with local news. I sometimes wonder if Gannett did this on purpose in order to get all USA Today subscribers? It's a good paper for national and world news but is totally worthless for local information.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes, Asheville Citizen-Times also a Gannett birdcage liner is downsizing. Layoff's, and have closed the local printing facility. Our paper is now printed in Greenville SC, about 65 miles away, which is also another Gannett paper. Also raised the daily price to 75¢.

It is the regions only daily paper, but content is pathetic. When something local is going down, it might get some mention but no meat. To find out what is really going on, I go online and read the local independent weekly paper. They actually seem to have reporters that dig deep into what is going on instead of just regurgitating a press release from city council, police, or other agency.

I still get the Gannett birdcage liner as they haven't increase home deliver prices yet, and my Labrador Retriever takes great joy in retrieving the paper every morning.
Geez now that I think about it, that is probably the only reason I haven't canceled it

Gannett might be one of the companies we see go under in 09, think my dog might be the only one that would really miss it
Gannett won't go under. They still own TV stations and USA Today.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:38 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
McClatchy has been downsizing and removing content from the Sacramento Bee:

Bee offers buyouts to a majority of full-time employees - Sacramento Business, Housing Market News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/103/story/1185250.html - broken link)

Old 01-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I wrote to them and suggested that they print one section devoted to only local news and advertisements and slip it within the USA Today and deliver that instead of their usual rag. At least that way I'd get some articles that are well written even if it has nothing to do with local news. I sometimes wonder if Gannett did this on purpose in order to get all USA Today subscribers? It's a good paper for national and world news but is totally worthless for local information.
Sorry, USA Today is "news lite" and there is absolutely no depth to any of the articles. It is written for people in a hurry, and probably for 4th grade reading level.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Gannett won't go under. They still own TV stations and USA Today.
Aside from finding it stuffed under you motel room door, does anyone actually buy/read USA Today, and why?

I would love for a company that believes in actually delivering news to buy them though, as the local Gannett paper is fit only for being used as a birdcage liner.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry, USA Today is "news lite" and there is absolutely no depth to any of the articles. It is written for people in a hurry, and probably for 4th grade reading level.
Then they must be trying to eliminate our paper because the writing inside is about as indepth as the local 5pm television news.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Aside from finding it stuffed under you motel room door, does anyone actually buy/read USA Today, and why?

I would love for a company that believes in actually delivering news to buy them though, as the local Gannett paper is fit only for being used as a birdcage liner.
At the rate they're going it won't be big enough for that either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies