Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:08 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

How was it much better when he left office. It wasn't. But if you know something different please tell me. And yes, Bush is to blame because he started it. It's easy to get into a war but very hard to get out of once you're there
I hated Bush every moment of the eight years he was in office. I never voted for him for governor of my home state or the two times he ran for president. But he did leave Iraq in a somewhat stable place. All Obama had to do was negotiate a new status of forces agreement and leave people there to help the government. He didn't do that. And further, he didn't need to have a surge of troops in Afghanistan, but he did do that and now we are there indefinitely. Bush messed up bad, but Obama doesn't get a pass for his doubling down on idiocy. What makes me so mad is people who were mad at Bush not spreading the blame around to Obama for doing similar stupid things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:09 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Don't blame Bush for Obama evil cowardace!

Iraq was moving towards stability when Obama became president BECAUSE of George Bush.

Obama did EXACTLY what Europe did to the German people at the end of WW1.

He left those desperate people in the hands of wild eyed extremists. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU REPEAT THE IDIOT MISTAKES OF HISTORY!

Every dead person in Iraq since we pulled out is OBAMAS FAULT.

You missed the part where after WW1 the ridiculous reparations required of Germany and the world wide Depression. You also missed the part where GWB and the boys destroyed the civil servant groups in Iraq leaving no govt. services to maintain a civil society. Disbanded police forces, complete military and changed the form of govt.

Talk about repeating history.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
You missed the part where after WW1 the ridiculous reparations required of Germany and the world wide Depression. You also missed the part where GWB and the boys destroyed the civil servant groups in Iraq leaving no govt. services to maintain a civil society. Disbanded police forces, complete military and changed the form of govt.

Talk about repeating history.
I think most people agree we should never have gone to Iraq in the first place. My issue is the handling of the exit. Colin Powell was right, we break, we buy. It was immoral to go invade that country, screw up the government, and just leave. It's not like we don't still have troops and bases in Germany and Japan, both countries far better off now than before the war.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't recall congressmen being blamed for Vietnam do you?

Your argument amounts to congress granting Bush his wish, presidents need to take responsibility for their actions.
And congressmen don't?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:39 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I hated Bush every moment of the eight years he was in office. I never voted for him for governor of my home state or the two times he ran for president. But he did leave Iraq in a somewhat stable place. All Obama had to do was negotiate a new status of forces agreement and leave people there to help the government. He didn't do that. And further, he didn't need to have a surge of troops in Afghanistan, but he did do that and now we are there indefinitely. Bush messed up bad, but Obama doesn't get a pass for his doubling down on idiocy. What makes me so mad is people who were mad at Bush not spreading the blame around to Obama for doing similar stupid things.
Obama is following the Bush Doctrine...undermine ME dictators (Libya, Syria) in some absurd hope for an Arab Spring. At heart they are both Wilsonites who fail to understand democracy cannot succeed in areas where individual liberty is given no credence.

We need to stay out of the 800 year old Sunni/ Shia war.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
9/11 was an intelligence failure resulting from Clinton's neutering of the CIA.

Very amusing to see Bush apologists continuing to twist themselves into pretzels trying to convince anyone else that Iraq isn't Dubya's mess.

Carry on.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
So, you are against being in Afghanistan indefinitely but you think we should have stayed in Iraq indefinitely? Iraq refused immunity to US troops, so we pulled out.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:10 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I agree with both of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8M4dS0j_C0

President Bush is well respected, believe it or not. He is not Jeb Bush. My friend (a Former Marine) told me that overwhelming majority of the vets respect President Bush. We need a strong leader. I think Mr. Trump is a good candidate.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you are against being in Afghanistan indefinitely but you think we should have stayed in Iraq indefinitely? Iraq refused immunity to US troops, so we pulled out.
What have we accomplished in Afghanistan? The Taliban is still there, our "allies" are still taking poor boys to have sex with them, and the only resource they have is opium. When Obama took office, we had less than 500 troops there. Now we have thousands with nothing to show for it. Iraq at least has strategic value, though I still think we should have never invaded. But we did, and then left them to their own devices. And yeah, I never believed that BS about them refusing immunity. If Obama really wanted to renegotiate it, he could have done it.

Now we have troops back in Iraq fighting ISIS. And we can't leave Afghanistan because they are there too, and Obama doesn't want to repeat the same mistake.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:00 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
What have we accomplished in Afghanistan? The Taliban is still there, our "allies" are still taking poor boys to have sex with them, and the only resource they have is opium. When Obama took office, we had less than 500 troops there.
We found and killed the mastermind of 9/11 because we were in the area. Yes, the operation was ran out of Afghanistan.

What did we accomplish in Iraq?

We had a heck of lot more than 500 troops in Afghanistan in 2008. It was more like 32 000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies