Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's a bigger issue in America now?
Frozen or stagnant wages (with increases by a few % points)? 17 50.00%
The cost of rent. 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Neither....the problem is Americans who are dumber than Homo Erectus.

The cost of any housing is a function of Supply & Demand.

Why should I rent to you for $450/month when there are two dozen people willing to pay $650/month?

If you cannot afford rent/mortgage, then either double up with another family or move to a low cost area.

It's not rocket science.
You could increase supply by lowering housing standards, reducing minimum lot sizes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 09:01 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Yep... I'm 41, single, and been living in Seattle metro for the last 3 years. I chose a 3 bedroom and 2 roommates because it's cheaper than a 1BR. My place is 1485 sq ft with 2 bath and just went to $1775 a month... utilities and cable/internet put the total around $2200 or so.

In Seattle the prices are even higher LOL... $1600 average 1 BR and $2100 2 BR?!?!? It's amazing to me how rents are so ridiculous here but I get around it with the 2 roommates. $900 each covers the rent, and I pay utilities. They get a deal saving off the costs of a 1BR and so do I.

I work in Seattle with a 25 mile one way commute and make $50k... which means I'm poor for this area. As said though... I do what I can to avoid being bent over by rent prices.
It all depends on where you live. Don't come down to the SF Bay Area! New (built last 20 years) 1 beds in Oakland are going for $3,200/month now. Older 1 beds will be closer to $2,000 - $2,500 and some below 2k depending on hood and condition. San Francisco - add 500 to 1000 and forget it!!!

Seattle has done a great job building and it is reflected in the lower prices. Down here, we are tens of thousands of units behind. I think that is the major issue. Decreasing middle class wages are also clearly a big problem too.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:36 AM

759 posts, read 637,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Dude, you're 41 and have roommates? What happened? Dirty dishes and five in the living room brings back memories.
BTW Seattle rent doesn't compare to parts of Northern Virginia. Tysons rents would blow your mind.
I'm sure.

Me having roommates doesn't have a thing to do with memories... It has to do with the fact I can:

a. Get a 3 BR and rent 2 rooms out for $900 each covering my rent leaving me with just $300 in utilities

Or

b. Get a 1 BR and pay $1500+

I chose a... it was simple math really. I also found what I consider to be the perfect roommates... the ones that work opposite schedules and are never home when you are.

BTW... I'm not in Seattle... I'm about 25 miles south where the rents are a little less. Average Seattle 1BR $1600... 2BR $2100... My 3BR for $1775 would easily be $2500+ in Seattle.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:43 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Get into the rental business, problem solved.

Goddamn I'm a genius.
Or move somewhere rent isn't so expensive! There is no "right" to live like a king in the most expensive cities in the country, while not doing anything more than flipping burgers.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It's shocking to me because I'm from the east coast where $210k would get you a 4 BR with a backyard pool and 2 car garage"

I can assure you, you CANNOT find that house for that price in ALL of the east coast.

My wife sold real estate on the east coast and you was amazed at the "culture" shock, high prices, many had when moving from Wash state to the east coast.
Check southeast Georgia... In the rural areas. I spent a few years there... And saw more than one 3 BR with a pool for $150k or so... This was 10 years ago or so... Maybe things have changed. My $210k comment was just a rough estimate LOL...

I haven't actually researched it because I have no interest in ever moving back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
It all depends on where you live. Don't come down to the SF Bay Area! New (built last 20 years) 1 beds in Oakland are going for $3,200/month now. Older 1 beds will be closer to $2,000 - $2,500 and some below 2k depending on hood and condition. San Francisco - add 500 to 1000 and forget it!!!

Seattle has done a great job building and it is reflected in the lower prices. Down here, we are tens of thousands of units behind. I think that is the major issue. Decreasing middle class wages are also clearly a big problem too.
Yeah I've heard about SF! Ouch!

Old 05-14-2016, 09:51 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You could increase supply by lowering housing standards, reducing minimum lot sizes, etc.
Adding density in an already dense area is one thing. However, the standards are there for a reason, it offers protection to buyers, and existing owners.

How would you like to pay a premium for a nice house in a desirable neighborhood, then have someone be able to build a crappy little house for a fraction of what you paid, and have it lower property values? The answer is, you wouldn't, and neither would any existing owner.

Taking action to specifically lower the value of other people's assets, just so others can have the same thing for less, is just plain wrong.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It's shocking to me because I'm from the east coast where $210k would get you a 4 BR with a backyard pool and 2 car garage"

I can assure you, you CANNOT find that house for that price in ALL of the east coast.

My wife sold real estate on the east coast and you was amazed at the "culture" shock, high prices, many had when moving from Wash state to the east coast.
Depends on what you mean by East Coast but here in Northeast Pennsylvania that is about what you are going to pay for house like that. A house worth $250K in this area would sell for one million in the right neighborhood near Philly or New York which are about 2.5 hours away.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Depends on what you mean by East Coast but here in Northeast Pennsylvania that is about what you are going to pay for house like that. A house worth $250K in this area would sell for one million in the right neighborhood near Philly or New York which are about 2.5 hours away.
+1

That's all I was trying to say. A similar market existed when I lived back east and I never said I lived in a major metropolitan area.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:00 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Yep... I'm 41, single, and been living in Seattle metro for the last 3 years. I chose a 3 bedroom and 2 roommates because it's cheaper than a 1BR. My place is 1485 sq ft with 2 bath and just went to $1775 a month... utilities and cable/internet put the total around $2200 or so.

In Seattle the prices are even higher LOL... $1600 average 1 BR and $2100 2 BR?!?!? It's amazing to me how rents are so ridiculous here but I get around it with the 2 roommates. $900 each covers the rent, and I pay utilities. They get a deal saving off the costs of a 1BR and so do I.

I work in Seattle with a 25 mile one way commute and make $50k... which means I'm poor for this area. As said though... I do what I can to avoid being bent over by rent prices.
Rent is double Seattle's in San Francisco. The culprit is NIMBYism, which prevents the development of new units.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That, plus not banning high-rises just because it 'messes up the skyline'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies