Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:35 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon this documentary that looks to be produced by the OWN network. I found this documentary to be really really interesting. It was very well produced and it deals with colorism mainly but gets into a few other things as well. Things like the historical perspective of racism and colorism within the black community as well as the impact of the media too. It also looks at colorism within the global community as well.

I highly recommend it, I'm not black or a woman but this really should be required viewing for everyone. I found some things to be really informative, even though I grew up around a lot of black folks I never realize this "struggle" within the black community. There are a couple of scenes that are sorta painful to watch. There is a couple of beautiful little black girls being interviewed by a psychologist and there are cartoon images of the same little girl, but are four or five pics of her in various different shade of black from dark to white. The interviewer is asking her which girl is the smartest and the prettiest and the little girl was picking the white/lighter image, somehow this lighter is better mentality is still being driven into young black kids. Seeing that even as a childless middle aged white guy just really breaks your heart to witness.

This film really does a good job of capturing people and their stories and is really pretty candid. I highly recommend it. It's only about an hour or so long. It resonated with me pretty strongly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VWsM8JVaek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 02:38 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I stumbled upon this documentary that looks to be produced by the OWN network. I found this documentary to be really really interesting. It was very well produced and it deals with colorism mainly but gets into a few other things as well. Things like the historical perspective of racism and colorism within the black community as well as the impact of the media too. It also looks at colorism within the global community as well.

I highly recommend it, I'm not black or a woman but this really should be required viewing for everyone. I found some things to be really informative, even though I grew up around a lot of black folks I never realize this "struggle" within the black community. There are a couple of scenes that are sorta painful to watch. There is a couple of beautiful little black girls being interviewed by a psychologist and there are cartoon images of the same little girl, but are four or five pics of her in various different shade of black from dark to white. The interviewer is asking her which girl is the smartest and the prettiest and the little girl was picking the white/lighter image, somehow this lighter is better mentality is still being driven into young black kids. Seeing that even as a childless middle aged white guy just really breaks your heart to witness.

This film really does a good job of capturing people and their stories and is really pretty candid. I highly recommend it. It's only about an hour or so long. It resonated with me pretty strongly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VWsM8JVaek

Colorism does not exist in the black community. This is just nonsense peddled by people to drive more separation between black people. This was pretty much a given in older generations, but it seems like it has found a new life in the millennial generation. As millennials are naturally regressive in thought process.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:39 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
This is a big problem that needs to be addressed more IMO.

There is a twisted shaming of darker skinned blacks among lighter shaded ones in many many inner cities.

You would think it would be obvious how ignorant that mindset is, but somehow many of them miss it altogether.

It really is quite sad.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:50 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
This is a big problem that needs to be addressed more IMO.

There is a twisted shaming of darker skinned blacks among lighter shaded ones in many many inner cities.

You would think it would be obvious how ignorant that mindset is, but somehow many of them miss it altogether.

It really is quite sad.
It's not a problem at all, and it does not need to be addressed. There is no empirical evidence that lighter skinned blacks are more "desired' than lighter skinned. However this thought process has found a home on youtube, mostly from light skinned black women convincing themselves they have privilege. I think it's pure nonsense and narcacism, but since youtube is a medium that reach everyone, people naturally think issues are bigger than they are. I've never seen this issue with any black community and I've lived in all 4 regions in the USA. It's a bogus issue. And the media seeing a golden opportunity to profit off of separation is now trying to cash in on this. Because we know division and racial tensions is leads to a lot of money.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:01 PM

I hope it's not a real issue. If it is, exposing it for how silly it is can only help move people past it. The documentary did get into some of the Asian cultures and how even over in those countries the media didn't show darker skinned people. I think within Asian cultures it's not so much racism but more of class thing as in people that are more wealthy aren't typically in the sun doing manual labor etc etc.

The documentary touched briefly on white people and how we/they like to tan their skin so to look "better" IDK, I'm a pretty light skin white guy and I do tan well and I feel like I look a bit better, but it's just that super white skin just doesn't look good to me. Again, I'm not a red head level of white guy, but fairly light skin and yeah, when I take my shirt off, I'm pure white guy. It just doesn't look that great if you ask me. LOL.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:39 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
It's not a problem at all, and it does not need to be addressed. There is no empirical evidence that lighter skinned blacks are more "desired' than lighter skinned. However this thought process has found a home on youtube, mostly from light skinned black women convincing themselves they have privilege. I think it's pure nonsense and narcacism, but since youtube is a medium that reach everyone, people naturally think issues are bigger than they are. I've never seen this issue with any black community and I've lived in all 4 regions in the USA. It's a bogus issue. And the media seeing a golden opportunity to profit off of separation is now trying to cash in on this. Because we know division and racial tensions is leads to a lot of money.
Oh, ok. Because you said it doesn't exist, it must not. Not that any of us have witnessed it or studied it (as I have before Youtube was a thing) - branh has not so we all must be wrong!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:40 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Old and not particularly well done. However, colorism exists among African-Americans and other cultures around the world.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:45 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
It is a problem for many in the black community, but I prefer not to bring attention to it or be entertained by the masses that do. You will see all the skin tones in my entire family, and many marriages from the young ones to white people, which has brought fourth a different skin hue within the families. Just stay focused on celebrating your existence and remember that we all are made in GOD's image!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Oh, ok. Because you said it doesn't exist, it must not. Not that any of us have witnessed it or studied it (as I have before Youtube was a thing) - branh has not so we all must be wrong!

I think it's existed in some form since slavery, I mean just look at the dynamic of the "house N" versus the "field N" That's probably more of a privilege thing, but I imagine the racist slave owners probably chose the lighter skin blacks to be house servants, I guessing here, I don't know exactly.

I would think in today's day and age it wouldn't have existed at all, but as i'm not a black person and don't presently have many black people as friends right now I wouldn't have had really much first hand knowledge. The vid assuming is true, it had lots of normal sounding and looking people saying it does, all I can assume is that they aren't lying, not sure who's to benefit/gain by talking about colorism within the black community by lying about it or whatever.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:43 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Colorism does not exist in the black community. This is just nonsense peddled by people to drive more separation between black people. This was pretty much a given in older generations, but it seems like it has found a new life in the millennial generation. As millennials are naturally regressive in thought process.
Spot on!

CLAPPING WILDLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies