Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 01:20 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Good points. Child labor in the US and Europe used to be the norm, too. It simply was. Even now many countries and cultures do not view child labor as a horrible thing. Funny that many of the children in the original article posted appear quite happy. Obviously, that doesn't mean their lives aren't challenging or couldn't be improved. One way they could not be improved is to be disallowed legal (where they are) and honest means of earning money for their families.
You don't find day care on the corner in Mexico. Kids spend the day working with parents in the fields in many cases. That can't be all bad.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Maybe you have a different definition of boycott |ˈboiˌkät|
verb [ with obj. ]
withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.
• refuse to buy or handle (goods) as a punishment or protest.
• refuse to cooperate with or participate in (a policy or event).
noun
a punitive ban that forbids relations with certain groups, cooperation with a policy, or the handling of goods.

I never said anyone or the world should stop buying Mexican produce. Read my posts.
My personal boycott will be 100% effective in my household and I do "feel good" about doing so
If you think buying more produce from Mexico is the answer. This word comes to mind....
Insanity= doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
once again you are making assumptions without knowledge. i do know what a boycott is, and i also know they DONT WORK. you seem to spend a lot of your time worrying about what mexico does, and you spend a lot of time wanting to make mexico into the united states, an that wont happen in our lifetimes.

so go ahead with your boycott of mexico, the reality is that it will only stress you out gong through every product you buy to determine whether or not it is made in mexico, but you are only beating yourself up. but you are also limiting yourself to just mexico, which means that you are being rather hypocritical dont you think when it comes to child labor?

i mean what about china and other asian countries where child labor is the norm. are you going to boycott those countries as well? remember that a large portion of our clothing comes from china and vietnam, as does a large portion of our electronics, among other products. so are you going to boycott those countries as well?

if you are going to boycott child labor, then get serious and boycott EVERY country that uses child labor to manufacture products. otherwise be know forever more as a hypocrite.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:47 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Dear, you are COMPLETELY missing the point. No one has suggested WANTING any bad thing to happen to children.
I never said, someone was suggesting anything.
Your post #3 Is easy to read.
Quote In what way will those children be forced to earn money without agricultural fieldwork?

Child Sex Abuse In Mexico Increases In 2014, Study Finds

This Mexican town is the sex-trafficking capital of the world - Business Insider

Not the way it should be, clearly, but the way it is - fieldwork is a better alternative for them. Quote

Agricultural fieldwork or sex abuse is your opinion. Support your opinion with an article saying their only options are sex abuse or picking in a field.

Quote An attempt was made by more than one person to point out the harsh realities of life in less developed countries. Clearly you are not open to understanding more about that.
You never read the LA Times link in my first post. Whole indigenous families are being exploded by growers.
I can't steer from the back of the bus, so I got off. Apish

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-31-2016 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: personal

Old 05-30-2016, 02:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
You might be aware already, but is a story like this ever repeated too often? I think not. And it's news to me.
http://graphics.latimes.com/product-of-mexico-children/
I have always chosen when available, American produce over Mexican. Starting today, if a produce item is only available from Mexico, I will do without. Fresh, canned, whatever, no more Mexico produce. The Mexican government can afford to require better conditions for it's people.
Some C-D folks are going to say, but they will loose their jobs. So be it, this is wrong. My money will not play a part in this any longer.
So... you'd rather they starve to death because of your boycott? Somehow that's morally superior?

Old 05-30-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I avoid Mexican produce as much as I avoid any food products from China. For produce, I just stick with US or Canada.
Still made by Mexicans.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again you are making assumptions without knowledge. i do know what a boycott is, and i also know they DONT WORK. you seem to spend a lot of your time worrying about what mexico does, and you spend a lot of time wanting to make mexico into the united states, an that wont happen in our lifetimes.

so go ahead with your boycott of mexico, the reality is that it will only stress you out gong through every product you buy to determine whether or not it is made in mexico, but you are only beating yourself up. but you are also limiting yourself to just mexico, which means that you are being rather hypocritical dont you think when it comes to child labor?

i mean what about china and other asian countries where child labor is the norm. are you going to boycott those countries as well? remember that a large portion of our clothing comes from china and vietnam, as does a large portion of our electronics, among other products. so are you going to boycott those countries as well?

if you are going to boycott child labor, then get serious and boycott EVERY country that uses child labor to manufacture products. otherwise be know forever more as a hypocrite.

"Maybe you have a different definition of boycott" is what I said. How is that an assumption on my part?. Maybe you have a different definition of assumption |əˈsəm(p)SH(ə)n|
noun
1 a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof:

As far as the rest of your post. I am starting to wonder about you? You keep saying you don't care what I do but yet you keep posting. Telling me about your opinions of boycotts, like a broken record. And now you are trying to imply that I'm a hypocrite. You don't know my buying habits now do you. It's just a false assertion on your part. Your posts are full of them.
BTW, My thread is about Mexico. You are allowed to start your own thread on child labor in those countries if that is on your pea brain. Just don't hijack my thread anymore than you have. Make your own.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So... you'd rather they starve to death because of your boycott? Somehow that's morally superior?
You got to be kidding me. My personal boycott is going to starve to death children in Mexico. You want to argue that ? LOL, Show me a published report that supports your post. Then we'll talk. I couldn't find a connection...https://www.google.com/#q=Mexican+ch...ycotts+produce

Last edited by sourdough; 05-30-2016 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
You got to be kidding me. My personal boycott is going to starve to death children in Mexico. You want to argue that ? LOL, Show me a published report that supports your post. Then we'll talk.
You are certainly not only not helping the situation but also making it worse. Had more people subscribe for your kind of idea, the children would starve to death.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:02 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
You are defining the value of a Mexican child as if they are a commodity. Ever read the U.S. Constitution or heard of God given rights.
America 150 years ago was like Mexico today?
I am not going into any more discussion about your opinions vs mine. I really don't care what yours or anyone else's are. I am going to boycott Mexican produce. Do has you see fit. Support the Agricultural Industry in Mexico and be a fat American. I can't stomach the idea of Mexican produce.
Well if this is a personal preference why post it on a forum? I don't post my food shopping preferences , why would I? I'm not cooking for anyone here. But I do post political stuff to see who is thinking what, as it may actually impact my life in some way, depending who gets to be pres. Etc.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You are certainly not only not helping the situation but also making it worse. Had more people subscribe for your kind of idea, the children would starve to death.
Back that one up with a study report. Do you just post opinions without merit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies