Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2020, 09:22 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,119,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

The entire point of my post is to say (rightly, I think) that diplomatic timidity allowed WW2 to happen. And I charge Obama/Biden with diplomatic timidity. They let bullies run amok. Trump stuffed many of those bullies back in their own country and no case has been, or could be, made that firm diplomacy has created more danger for the world than the waffling timidity of Obama/Biden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is public opinion was strongly against interventionism and certainly against sending American soldiers to die in European wars. Roosevelt had to tread carefully.

FDR's cabinet was full of anti-Semites, as was his party at the time.

He CHOSE to align with the isolationists, and watch millions of Jews in Europe die.

He chose the cowardly path.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:36 PM

35,114 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and he would never have had the guts to use the atomic bomb.

FDR could not handle the isolationists, which sharply spiked the death count of the Holocaust.

FDR lacked the guts to let the St. Louis dock and have the Jewish refugees enter US land.

We are all safer because FDR died and Truman admirably was the POTUS with the guts to make the hard decisions.
Amen to that! FDR was basically a turd.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Amen to that! FDR was basically a turd.
Truman , IMO, is amongst this nation's most under-rated presidents.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:50 AM

35,114 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Truman , IMO, is amongst this nation's most under-rated presidents.
No question about it. He made decisions that needed to be made even if they went against his own mildly anti-Semitic and anti-black beliefs:
  1. Integrating the armed forced;
  2. Integrating armed forces housing;
  3. Dropping the bomb on Hiroshima & Nagasaki; and
  4. Recognizing the State of Israel over State Department and almost universal opposition.
Frankly he reminds me a lot of an earlier version against Donald Trump, except that most people now agree with at least three out of the four above actions.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:15 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,637,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Liberals wouldn't have gotten us into the war in the first place.

After Pearl Harbor, they would have apologized to Japan for provoking the attack by being racially and culturally insensitive to their need to dominate the world along with Nazi Germany.
Given today's limp wristed pansy zealous advocates that would be true likely. They should apologize for trying to force people to do that with which they do not wish and/or want to do especially in matters of the Faithful. Perhaps they do not practice what they preach i.e. especially in matters of tolerance and acceptance? We await their long overdue apology to all those with whom they disagree with and/or think differently than they do.

We fight differently than you. Curtis LeMay said " I'll tell you what war is about, you've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough they stop fighting." Exactly. They are gone.

For example with the early nuclear weapons, why did they not start with the biggest cities and work on down? Clean. Sometimes I / we wonder about this place and yet you still have the intellectual capacity to [ omitted ]. Things could be better in a good Walt Disney movie way. Way much better.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,040,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
They would have done very well.

Woodrow wilson gave full control of the war ministry and finances to a financier called berard baruch. That paved way for american involvement in ww1 , treaty of versailles, rise of hitler, creation of israel etc.

Even now the democrats helped raze syria and libya to the ground which doesnt benefit america one bit.

And please get some coffee and fresh air. How conveniently you leave out afganistan in this post!!!

And you must be deluded to think democrats doesnt support israel.
Mr jbg, before politely trying to call me names, here s something you could read.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...a-hero-to-jews

I read history from both victor as well as the losers point if view.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You claim not to dislike Jews. I think you do, based on this post. See highlighted portions.As far as Britain, despite the events of 1774-83 we are them, they are us. We are connected by blood, culture and language. Is a country about to be squashed a "coward"?The difference is that we fought ourselves into a quagmire by fighting a "half-war." Churchill was our WW II leader, and FDR the stentorian voice.
I am not white and have no reason to like that british bull(sh) dog. While hitlers numbers are put at 6 millions he was silently starving 4 million indians to death during the same period which hardly gets a y attention.

Search forbengal famine.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:30 AM

25,592 posts, read 17,323,449 times
Quote:
The post concerned the attitude in 1933-34, when the war could have been prevented. After the summer of 34, when Hitler had his adversaries in Germany killed, all was lost. No one in Germany was going to stop him and outside efforts were futile.

The liberals of yester-year, Wilson and FDR, are a much different group than the liberals of today, in that the liberal actions of those years were necessary. Today's actions are not necessary and do not create a better America.

The entire point of my post is to say (rightly, I think) that diplomatic timidity allowed WW2 to happen. And I charge Obama/Biden with diplomatic timidity. They let bullies run amok. Trump stuffed many of those bullies back in their own country and no case has been, or could be, made that firm diplomacy has created more danger for the world than the waffling timidity of Obama/Biden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Please, Trump is the worst President in my lifetime when it comes to coddling authoritarian leaders.

Putin's ***** is what he is.
More nonsense promoted by the media.
Trump established diplomatic relations where there had been none and stopped ad hoc rogue outfits like ISIS dead in their tracks.
Many lives - American lives - have been saved by Trump's Middle East policies. Obama/Biden did not have had the courage to move the US embassy to Jerusalem even though they said they would, and they would not have had the courage to drone-strike General Soleimani.
The Trump/Putin nonsense was addressed by everyone in the world long ago. It never happened.
Trump will leave office with a far safer world than the one he inherited.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
More nonsense promoted by the media.
Trump established diplomatic relations where there had been none and stopped ad hoc rogue outfits like ISIS dead in their tracks.
Many lives - American lives - have been saved by Trump's Middle East policies. Obama/Biden did not have had the courage to move the US embassy to Jerusalem even though they said they would, and they would not have had the courage to drone-strike General Soleimani.
The Trump/Putin nonsense was addressed by everyone in the world long ago. It never happened.
Trump will leave office with a far safer world than the one he inherited.
Trump took credit for defeating isis but more likely the responsibilities lity passed to putin . They have thier only ally inthe wirld intact and they nearly destroyed isis as well. And no american resources and lives wasted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies