Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 08:13 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,962 times

Advertisements

http://dels.nas.edu/resources/static...rief-final.pdf

Quote:
Figure 2. Ship tracks—bright areas of clouds produced by aerosol particles in the exhaust emissions of ships—are an example of albedo modi cation similar to that produced by deliberate marine cloud brightening. This satellite image shows ship tracks produced
by commercial cargo ships off the coast of California. Source: Jeff Schmaltz, MODIS Rapid Response Team, NASA/GSFC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 08:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I am a retired environmental scientist with considerable knowledge of climate and how it changes. The globe is getting warmer on a decadal time frame and the sea levels will rise. No matter what humans do or do not do this will happen.

I am also seventy years old and a disabled war veteran from a long ago war in a faraway place. I know I am supposed to care what happens to all the people on the planet that will be discommodated or displaced by the rising tides. As this is likely to take several more decades and I will certainly, along with those few I care for, be dead I will no longer participate in these debates. I simply do not care what happens. The rest of you can do as you wish.

As we once said in 'Nam: Don't mean nothing, Don't make no matter.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:29 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am a retired environmental scientist with considerable knowledge of climate and how it changes. The globe is getting warmer on a decadal time frame and the sea levels will rise. No matter what humans do or do not do this will happen.

I am also seventy years old and a disabled war veteran from a long ago war in a faraway place. I know I am supposed to care what happens to all the people on the planet that will be discommodated or displaced by the rising tides. As this is likely to take several more decades and I will certainly, along with those few I care for, be dead I will no longer participate in these debates. I simply do not care what happens. The rest of you can do as you wish.

As we once said in 'Nam: Don't mean nothing, Don't make no matter.
"All we are is dust in the wind"
-Kansas

"In the long run, we are all dead"
-John Maynard Keynes

Old 10-31-2016, 08:37 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Add in most of AGW biggest publicity names (Gore,DiCaprio etc) are jetting across the country in private jets, chartering 200-400 foot yachts, own multiple very large homes...

Fuel Burn Rates for Private Aircraft
Infographic reveals the real cost of owning a superyacht | Daily Mail Online

Old 10-31-2016, 08:39 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Plan and simple....the man made global warming hoax is a plan to introduce a world wide carbon tax.....more money for governments to redistribute.
Enderman crooked politicians, like Al Gore, even more millions.

One giant scam even bigger than that scam perpetrated by Bernie Madoff.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 AM
SFX

1,639 posts, read 895,505 times
Meanwhile, the actual scientific data just gets shredded and modified so much it doesn't bear resemblance to reality an longer, so that "experts" are using bad data for models, and they can't understand why they can't predict what is happening.

I'm not kidding, it's actually that bad at times.

The efforts to modify the past (1984 style) had one limiting factor in Orwell's book. You couldn't modify technical data, because even in that horrific ultra-liberal fascist civilization, they realized that physics didn't care what you believed, and you had to actually know what was happening, or be swept aside by those that did.

I can understand the political spin and wanting to change the past to support your current narrative, but when you start adjusting what temperature was measured on a day in the past, you are screwing with a basic scientific principle. You can't make up data, and still do science.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:04 AM

7,515 posts, read 5,758,525 times
It has always made me wonder how a group of people, who have been on this planet for a microburst of time compared to earths age, who twist and select data to suite their findings, are taken seriously. The earth has been around for billions of years. It has morphed and changed. Entire species have come and gone. An ocean was in the southwest desert and disappeared millions of years ago. No cars a million years ago. No factories a million years ago. Yet, tell everyone using their cherry picked data that the changes we see today are supposed to be manmade. These people are loon's. I don't think moon bats realize the amount of money "global warming" will make the filthy stinking uber rich that moonbats rail against.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:03 AM
SFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
Hearts and minds are not being won here because most of us are totally heartless and mindless... but whatever passes for everyone's hearts and minds is certainly already made up.
That's an example of an unscientific claim. And it's easy to debunk, because I know it's not true for me.

The more scientific term "climate change" encompasses all the things that can/might/will change from changes to the atmospheric chemistry, land use, solar energy changes, volcanoes, dust and even general circulation.

Global warming is the theory that man made changes will lead to an unstoppable warming of the entire planet, which will be further amplified by feedbacks, so that the entire global energy balance will just keep going up, and part of the theory is based on CO2 having the ability to stay in the atmosphere for thousands of years.

It also assumes ice and snow reductions, leading to more warming. Another feedback, where open water and bare soil and rock absorbs even more solar energy, leading to more warming. The feedbacks just get stronger and the planet starts to spiral out of any natural change, into a human caused disaster, with sea levels rising rapidly as land ice melts, and the oceans expand from warming.

Droughts increase, Tmax and Tmin both increase, planting zones migrate poleward, and perhaps permafrost (which can extend 300 feet below ground) melts, releasing even more GhGs, increasing the warming trend.

There is more rain instead of snow in winters, heat waves increase, great tropical storms increase, flooding also increases, and almost the entire earth changes. Weather is more extreme, either no rain or too much rain, either little snow, or record amounts of snow, but in all cases, things get much worse.

At some point Antarctica starts to melt, leading to catastrophic sea level rise, and the atmosphere becomes so much warmer that life can only exist near the polar regions, where it will still be warm enough to grow palm trees and wheat.

This is the essential story, and fear, of global warming.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:05 AM
SFX

The other sides of the story rarely gets mentioned, and most people know nothing about them. I'm not talking of absolute denial of global warming, I am speaking of those who fear and expect even worse scenarios than I outlined above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies