Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:05 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to throw this one out there for UHC and see what others think of this:

Instead of nationalizing the health care system, why not simply impose a health care tax and provide each American with a ATM card of 5k or so a year to be spent on doctors and medications. This would make it single-payer which would reduce administration costs. Doctors and health-care providers would compete with each other for providing the best service at the lowest possible rate. Should you not use all your health monies, it rolls over year after year, so should you need it, you could very well have a lot of money left over to spend it. Make doctors tax-free and include tort-reform.

Also, surgeries would be subsidized by the US government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I just wanted to throw this one out there for UHC and see what others think of this:

Instead of nationalizing the health care system, why not simply impose a health care tax and provide each American with a ATM card of 5k or so a year to be spent on doctors and medications. This would make it single-payer which would reduce administration costs. Doctors and health-care providers would compete with each other for providing the best service at the lowest possible rate. Should you not use all your health monies, it rolls over year after year, so should you need it, you could very well have a lot of money left over to spend it. Make doctors tax-free and include tort-reform.

Also, surgeries would be subsidized by the US government.
Hmm.. . okay. but what happens to the diabetic or the cancer patient that goes through the $5K pretty quickly.. would they then have to pay for everything out of pocket.. and how would they do that ?

Old 02-17-2008, 12:51 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Here's my take on this. Instead of Universal Health Care, let's get back to the U.S. Constitution. Seems that the 10th Amendment states, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." This includes how states care for the medical problems of their residents. I don't think it should be a Maine citizen's concern about the cost of health care in California. Leave this problem to the Governor, not the President.

Last edited by ESFP; 02-17-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Here's my take on this. Instead of Universal Health Care, let's get back to the U.S. Constitution. Seems that the 10th Amendment states, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." This includes how states care for the medical problems of their residents. I don't think it should be a Maine citizen's concern about the cost of health care in California. Leave this problem to the Governor, not the President.
What a "unique" concept!!!

Great post. Thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 01:28 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
Quote:
then why even have a USA if everyone has their own govnt' with different rules and regulations, lets just break up into 50 seperate nations so everyone can have what they want.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:30 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Thumbs up I agree!

Quote:

Good post!

It makes you wonder why Federal government wants to make things so complicated.

They could complicate 'intercourse' with their train of thought.

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 02-17-2008 at 01:40 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 01:36 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
And neither should it be a Maine citizen's responsibility to defend California, so let's go back to state militia's...a standing army was a bad idea to begin with. And what's with all these Maine tax dollars going off for cotton subsidy payments to places like Mississippi and Alabama? Let's start keeping those tax dollars at home so Maine farmers can grow their own cotton...

Old 02-17-2008, 01:40 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
btw what are you going to do with 5K, a cast for a broken arm costs 15k

Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
GreatDay ..you confuse me..on one hand you talk about insurance being able to cross state lines as one of the reasons healthcare costs are high.. yet now you talk about each state mandate their own healthcare (or I should say health insurance) regulation.. so which is it?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Quote:
ESFP

It has been 25 year since I took my Con Law class, but there was this one case about a citizen's right to freely move about the states. Perhaps it dealt with interracial marriage. One state did not recognize marriage between a black and a white. That state was forced to recognize the marriage based on the fact that it would prevent the free movement among the states.

If you have one state that doesn't pay for health care, they cannot deny the citizen of another state the RIGHT to come to that state and get the same healthcare. So people in a low or non healthcare state with low taxes would get cancer and move to a healthcare state and get a free ride..

I do not remember the name of the case, but only that concept.

The US Supreme Ct makes all these laws that might sound good at the time, but have massive unintended consequences.

Don't blame me.

BTW, I have a silly idea for healthcare too.
Raise the minimum wage by 75 cents, raise 50 cents for anyone making under 20 bucks an hour and raise gasoline tax by 2 bucks.
Employers would pay at all and no longer get a deduction for healthcare premiums just like ordinary folk.
I am sure my numbers are way off and a lot of fine tuning is needed, but this would reduce fuel usage and

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 02-17-2008 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies