Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 07:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Either you're just interested in starting an argument over what I wrote to another poster I happen to be on good terms with, or Monday is your night to play Barney Fife on c-d.
I don't know who Barney Fife is, I just don't see the reason to bring up some case where the accusations ended up being false, when that wasn't the case here. Only 8% of rape accusations end up being false, which would probably be much lower if women felt more comfortable going to the police. With every rape case, people want to bring up the fact that so and so lied about her rape, so maybe this girl is lying to. Those numbers would probably be much lower if people didn't try to blame the woman for her rape. Did you not read all the questions the girl was asked on the stand? Like what she ate for dinner that night, what color were the clothes she was wearing, who did she call while at the party, etc... as if any of those questions have to do with the man raping her behind a dumpster.

If someone is murdered, we don't care what they were wearing, how many men they have slept with, or how often they drink, because it has nothing to do with the murder. Yet for rape victims, every personal detail about their life needs to be brought up. As if that isn't enough. it also needs to be brought up that "Oh those Duke Lacrosse players were innocent..." As if that has anything to do with this girl being raped. Was she the one to accuse the Duke players? No, so we have no reason to believe that she had anything to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 07:27 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
We disagree. I wish people were nice, honorable, caring....like you and me. They aren't. If a female is passed out drunk she is partly responsible for being assaulted, in my opinion.
Because men just can't help themselves? They have the right to sow their wild oats? They are not responsible for their 'urges'?

I remember that way of thinking; men sow oats, women stay pure, something stupid like that, anyway.

It's ancient history.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Because men just can't help themselves?[snip]
On the contrary! Because women can make decisions for themselves. And do not blame others, especially men, for bad decisions.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The presentence report in this case called for a sentence of four months in jail. The judge sentenced him to six months. Judges ordinarily follow presentence reports.

Just for clarification the defence attorney asked for 4 months in a presentencing memo, the DA asked for 6 years.

Brock Turner sentenced to six months in county jail, three-year probation | News | Palo Alto Online |

Old 06-06-2016, 07:35 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
On the contrary! Because women can make decisions for themselves. And do not blame others, especially men, for bad decisions.
Being raped isn't a "bad decision."

Old 06-06-2016, 07:42 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Being raped isn't a "bad decision."
I am not discussing this Stanford case specifically. I don't know the details.

Being black out drunk and unaware in public is a choice. Consequences may happen if women choose that option. For women to deny that is stupid or naive and dangerous.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:50 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
I can't speak to this particular situation, but if a girl gets so drunk she can't remember what she did, she is partially to blame for what happens to her. In my opinion, girls have no excuse for being black out drunk and blaming everyone else for what happens!

That being said, the man who was convicted for being a sexual predator has NO sympathy from me at all! He will pay for his actions for the rest of his life. His father's deplorable public excuses for his son's behavior were despicable.
He IS to blame for what happened. HE is the one that molested her. I don't care if she was drunk to the point of a coma, HE IS TO BLAME for HIS actions.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:54 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's the crazy thing about rape culture. Women are brought up from an early age hearing "don't wear that," "don't go there," "don't talk to those people," "don't drink too much," "don't be out so late," etc.
They used to be taught these things but are they still? Apparently this young woman thought it was safe to go to a party with young men and drink until she lost all control of herself. She should have been taught better.
Quote:
t's surprising that this particular young man, who got into Stanford, was apparently never told a very basic "don't rape people."
He says he didn't intend to rape anyone and that is likely true. He was a very drunk person looking for another very drunk person to make a sexy time with. He found someone, but at some point she passed out and, being very drunk, he did not stop what he was doing. That's wrong, and you can define it as rape, but it isn't the sort of rape that warrants a 10-year prison term. Six months seems quite reasonable.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:55 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Being black out drunk and unaware in public is a choice.
Sometimes, not aways, certain medications can have side effects that enhances alcohols intoxication, there's also overestimating personal tolerance and a whole bunch of factors. However we can agree that in most cases it is a choice.

Quote:
Consequences may happen if women choose that option. For women to deny that is stupid or naive and dangerous.
Consequences may happen, but that does not mean that responsibility for those consequences is accepted.

You drive, correct? So if you drive and have an accident then you should be prepared for the medical and repair bills regardless of whether or not the other party (who may be at fault) has insurance or the ability to pay. Thus we should no longer need any insurance for anything but ourselves, or civil suits for driving accidents, people understand the consequences of driving, and accept the risks, and there should be no liability for third parties.

That's in effect what you're stating, and it sounds pretty stupid when you put it in those terms doesn't it?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
I wish people were nice, honorable, caring....like you and me. They aren't. If a female is passed out drunk she is partly responsible for being assaulted, in my opinion.

So you're saying women should remin locked in their homes, or in hotel rooms, or in retirement homes, or in a coma in a hospital.......oh wait, they get raped in all those places too.

Where is it not a woman's fault if she gets raped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies