Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 08:42 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

It is hard to believe in true justice when the golden boy gets a slap in the wrist . Another affluenza problem. ? Ugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 08:44 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I wish people were nice, honorable, caring....like you and me. They aren't. If a female is passed out drunk she is partly responsible for being assaulted, in my opinion.

Wow. That's freakin' amazing. Is it 2016?

Old 06-06-2016, 08:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Absolutely. Blacks routinely are released without serving a single day in prison for crimes. Can't treat blacks equally now, can we? White guilt, doncha know. Assuming the police would even bother to arrest him, least he hurt himself while in custody and idiots burn their neighborhood down.

Besides, no money to be made by arresting a rapist-the focus is on revenue generation. More effort put into speeding tickets than solving crimes.
More like black peoples are put in jail with out even being sentenced. Nice try.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Agreed. So much outrage here over two people accomplishing what is the goal of a large fraction of the college age population, male and female, on any given weekend - go to a cool party, get really drunk and have sex with someone.
That wasn't sex. You don't go behind dumpsters and penetrate unconscious people.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This comment is what I was referring to in my previous post. The Turners love their son, and they tried to do whatever they could do to save him. That is understandable. I am convinced that Brock committed a terrible crime, but only he is responsible for his actions, not his parents and not the woman he raped.

I come at this as someone who is personally acquainted with another family from Ohio whose child committed an awful act of violence. She was sentenced to prison, and rightfully so. Like the Turner family, they were maligned in the press as rotten parents, but I know differently. They were a loving family whose child did something unthinkable, and they were absolutely not to blame.

The Turner family is similar. Brock has siblings and parents and aunts and uncles and grandparents scattered around the Miami Valley, and he has caused all of them great pain, which comes through in the letter. None of them deserve to be labeled as despicable.
I would grant you that all of them probably do not deserve to be labeled as despicable, but I stand by everything I said about the father. I don't care how much he loves his son, to willfully and deliberately add in this fashion to the humiliation and injustice done to the woman his son raped is the act of a despicable human being. And I also stand by my argument that his contemptible, amoral behavior goes a long way toward explaining how his son learned that he is entitled to be such a despicable human being.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:37 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,385 times
Quote:
I can't speak to this particular situation, but if a girl gets so drunk she can't remember what she did, she is partially to blame for what happens to her. In my opinion, girls have no excuse for being black out drunk and blaming everyone else for what happens!

That being said, the man who was convicted for being a sexual predator has NO sympathy from me at all! He will pay for his actions for the rest of his life. His father's deplorable public excuses for his son's behavior were despicable.
A person's rights don't end because they are drunk. They still have the same rights as anyone else. In my opinion it's no different than a person passing out for any other reason. Just because someone is in a vulnerable state doesn't mean your rob, rape, or attack them. I went to a ton of wild college parties when I was young and never had anything happen. It's obvious there is something wrong with this young man. It's sometimes the clean cut ones that turn out to be demented.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
On the contrary! Because women can make decisions for themselves. And do not blame others, especially men, for bad decisions.
Oh, so the woman made the decision to be raped? Yeah, lets not blame a man for the "bad decision" he made when he decided to rape someone.

Quote:
He says he didn't intend to rape anyone and that is likely true. He was a very drunk person looking for another very drunk person to make a sexy time with. He found someone, but at some point she passed out and, being very drunk, he did not stop what he was doing. That's wrong, and you can define it as rape, but it isn't the sort of rape that warrants a 10-year prison term. Six months seems quite reasonable.
He changed his story once he found out that the girl didn't remember a single thing. I'm sure his attorney was able to coach him on what to say since they would be able to make up whatever narrative they wanted considering there was no one to say otherwise. This wasn't a case of they started to have consensual sex and the woman just happened to fall asleep during the act. She never consented at all and he raped her behind a dumpster like she was some piece of trash. He didn't even know her name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think I know what you're saying now. You're saying that taking this case out of the equation, women are not to blame for being raped, but if they get so drunk they black out, they are being irresponsible for not taking precautions to remain as safe as possible. In fact, the opposite, because their actions put them in risky, vulnerable situations. Do I have that right?

If so, I don't know how anyone could argue with that.
So say your driving one night, and your car breaks down. While trying to figure out what is wrong with your car, you get mugged at gun point, and beaten. You wake up in the hospital, not remembering anything that happened. Would you say you're to blame since you didn't' take the necessary precautions to remain safe? Why didn't you have a brand new car that wouldn't have broken down? Why did you get out of your car at night? Maybe you heard on the news that another robbery had happened in that general area, so you knew it wasn't safe. Whoever it was that robbed you and beat you should be charged with anything, you were the irresponsible one. It would be all your fault for allowing someone else to attack you like that. Who would argue that it wasn't completely your fault?

Quote:
This is completely illogical. Skepticism over rape claims lowers the number of false claims made not the opposite. If all claims were automatically accepted, without any scrutiny of the evidence and circumstances, then the number of false claims would go up.
People who have been mugged don't face such skepticism, yet I don't hear of people going around falsely accusing others of mugging them. Why would false rape accusations suddenly sky rocket if we didn't treat rape victims as criminals? Rape victims are the only victims that I can think of that are treated so harshly, even by cops. Why are we so trusting of other victims, but when it comes to rape so many automatically think the person is lying? Even though in reality, very few rape claims are actually false.

Its the same with spousal abuse. Amber Heard has photos documenting her abuse on multiple occasions, yet so many people accuse her of lying. As if women are just sitting at home, beating themselves up, so they can eventually use the pictures to falsely accuse their loving spouse. Gone Girl was a work of fiction, most women are not scheming psychopaths.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
A person's rights don't end because they are drunk. They still have the same rights as anyone else. In my opinion it's no different than a person passing out for any other reason. Just because someone is in a vulnerable state doesn't mean your rob, rape, or attack them. I went to a ton of wild college parties when I was young and never had anything happen. It's obvious there is something wrong with this young man. It's sometimes the clean cut ones that turn out to be demented.
Yes, if he didn't rape this woman, he probably would have found someone else to rape. It might not have been that night, but eventually it would have happened. Rape isn't just some accidental mistake. He knew what he was doing was wrong.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I'm curious, if someone is unconscious for whatever reason is it okay to steal from them? To kill them? To remove a kidney? Or is it just rape that's okay under those circumstances? How about if it's a man that is unconscious? Same rules or different?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm curious, if someone is unconscious for whatever reason is it okay to steal from them? To kill them? To remove a kidney? Or is it just rape that's okay under those circumstances? How about if it's a man that is unconscious? Same rules or different?
Clearly you should never get unconscious. Or sick. Or really just don't leave the house just in case you are ever at risk of being in a vulnerable state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies