Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 11:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Perhaps in some version of an ideal world, but it does not work that way in any human society that actually exists now. Most people, the world over, have sex without any clear cut verbal asking and granting of permission prior to the act.
And people use body language in some cases to give consent. Unconscious people are giving zero signals and physical cues as they are not participating because they are unconscious. Do you like to have sex with motionless logs? Because that is what Mr. Turner did. She was unresponsive be used she was not awake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 PM

426 posts, read 424,515 times
Hopefully justice will be served in prison. Wait what, no prison time!!!

Old 06-07-2016, 12:07 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Perhaps in some version of an ideal world, but it does not work that way in any human society that actually exists now. Most people, the world over, have sex without any clear cut verbal asking and granting of permission prior to the act.
Being given an "enthusiastic yes" is what is now being taught. It doesn't' necessarily mean that a "yes" has to be given to continue, but there should be no question that everyone is ready and willing. This way a rapist cannot claim the woman didn't say no, and its not on the victim to stop the attack. And consent is not just a one time thing. Even if you are dating someone, and you have had sex with them before, it doesn't mean you can have sex with them whenever. Even during the act, both participants should be aware of their partner, noticing any physical or emotion cues that might be suggesting that they stop. It doesn't mean you have to constantly be asking if they still want to continue having sex, but if they all of a sudden stop, don't seem as interested, have passed out, or are pushing you away, that is usually a sign to check and see if everything is ok.

This video was posted in another thread. Maybe you should watch it to better understand how consent works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbei5JGiT8

Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Hopefully justice will be served in prison. Wait what, no prison time!!!
If that is supposed to be a prison rape joke, I don't think a thread about a rape victim is the most appropriate place to be making such jokes.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:15 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
I think it is more than rape culture but rather the belief in America that one can talk their way out of anything, be it a traffic offense or a DUI where they have harmed someone or this case. People believe that when the cops catch them, they can know better the cop's job than she does.

What causes this? I don't know but it doesn't only happen in the current era for I saw as a police officer 25 years ago. This case will probably go more to reinforce that belief.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:26 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,282,225 times
Quote:
Well since you asked I have one hard and fast rule.

The owner has to lead me to chapel by hand.

It works every time, and there's no question that there was 100% consent, because if they won't leadme in, then there's no going into the chapel.

It's not about the ideal world, it's about making smart choices about how you confirm consent, secondly it also gives the other person the chance to confirm the use of a condom.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:27 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,128,610 times
Quote:
Good point. Yes, people who kill accidentally in drunken brawls are indeed given lighter sentences than those who murder in cold blood.
The was not the point. The point was whether blame is apportioned to the victim in this instance.
But you knew that.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:54 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,772,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
The point was whether blame is apportioned to the victim in this instance.
Yes, someone who is out, drunk, and winds up beaten or killed by another drunk person is normally considered somewhat less of an innocent victim than a person who is attacked while sober and going about their normal business.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:57 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,772,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well since you asked I have one hard and fast rule.

The owner has to lead me to chapel by hand.

It works every time, and there's no question that there was 100% consent, because if they won't leadme in, then there's no going into the chapel.

It's not about the ideal world, it's about making smart choices about how you confirm consent, secondly it also gives the other person the chance to confirm the use of a condom.
In the real world people don't make smart choices or even agree on what a smart choice is. Certainly neither niether of the people involved in this case did anything smart that night.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:35 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,140,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I am not discussing this Stanford case specifically. I don't know the details.

Being black out drunk and unaware in public is a choice. Consequences may happen if women choose that option. For women to deny that is stupid or naive and dangerous.
Do we know that nothing was slipped into her drink? Would she be responsible for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies