Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:54 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"We supported France after their attack but... what about the U.S?"

We have this horrible attack and you are counting flags on Facebook? That's a tad shallow, chin up and carry on.
I count the number of posts I've seen, and by whom. So far, people abroad and here in the USA are showing alot of support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That's good, not on mine. Not one single conservative FB friend has given support. I have however seen them showing support for assault rifles. And no, I'm not joking.
I'm not on FB but I'm guessing none of my conservative friends have given support on FB either. A few have donated blood and many more have donated money, however.

Facebook - where you can remain on your butt and act like you're doing something with the click of a stupid button and judge those who don't do the same.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:59 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Following the attack last winter in Paris, about half of Facebook users put a French flag on their profile.

But following the Orlando attack, there hasn't been one U.S. Flag that is shown in support of this attack?
I see support for Orlando plastered all over Facebook. I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Quote:
Is this how divisive our country is these days? After 9-11, we were united while NOT calling for a ban on box cutters.

If the attacker doesn't represent all of Islam, how does he represent all gun owners?
Yeah, things were better back in the day. We didn't have people wanting to ban planes or Muslims. The Republican president even made it abundantly clear that we are not at war with Muslims, but terrorists. Bush called Islam a religion of piece.

And now, every event is politicized. Rather it's banning guns or Muslims or turning it into a social justice cause, we can't just respect a tragedy and have a thoughtful discussion on what should be done. Instead, we just point fingers and shout.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
some do not put stuff on FB because "jobs" love to dissect it

Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
some do not put stuff on FB because "jobs" love to dissect it
Can you explain this in more detail?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
How much outrage can we expect from the world when we refuse to do anything to curb the gun violence in this country? Guns are untouchable in America, thanks to the NRA. The world watches in horrified incredulity as one mass shooting follows the next, and the best we can do is "pray for the victims." Twenty small children were gunned down in cold blood and we did absolutely nothing but "pray." That told the world we didn't really care enough to stop the carnage.

Our own responses ring hollow to the rest of the world. Who can blame the rest of the world for finally turning away in disgust?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
How much outrage can we expect from the world when we refuse to do anything to curb the gun violence in this country? Guns are untouchable in America, thanks to the NRA. The world watches in horrified incredulity as one mass shooting follows the next, and the best we can do is "pray for the victims." Twenty small children were gunned down in cold blood and we did absolutely nothing but "pray." That told the world we didn't really care enough to stop the carnage.

Our own responses ring hollow to the rest of the world. Who can blame the rest of the world for finally turning away in disgust?
What about the bombings that have taken place in this country?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:13 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm not on FB but I'm guessing none of my conservative friends have given support on FB either. A few have donated blood and many more have donated money, however.

Facebook - where you can remain on your butt and act like you're doing something with the click of a stupid button and judge those who don't do the same.
Shrug, it's very easy to show support on FB. When I've seen certain people show support at other times yet not this time, I know exactly what type of person that is.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Following the attack last winter in Paris, about half of Facebook users put a French flag on their profile.

But following the Orlando attack, there hasn't been one U.S. Flag that is shown in support of this attack?

Is this how divisive our country is these days? After 9-11, we were united while NOT calling for a ban on box cutters.

If the attacker doesn't represent all of Islam, how does he represent all gun owners?
Imposing a flag graphic on FB is middle school girl stuff.

It's right up there with celebrities and FL OTUS handwriting notes " bring our girls homes" in reference to the kidnapping of hundreds of young girls in Africa by Boko Haram.

Can't begin to imagine taking the Orlando situation and making it all about me on FB.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Well you have to understand France is a muslim country now...

How about the people of Iraq that we destroyed our country to "save," or sumthin, where is their support?
7.5% of France is Muslim.

( as an aside 15% of Russia is Muslim)

The violence/ homicide in France is a fraction of what it is in the US which for the most part has nothing to do with Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies