Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:38 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,675 posts, read 3,097,591 times

Advertisements

With political correctness as important as it is in the world today, I find it funny that certain terms are still in common use.
Here are three that really bother me:

"Judeo-Christian" vs "Abrahamic faiths"
Usually I've heard it used to justify laws discriminating against muslims by arguing that their country was "founded on Judeo-Christian values". Why else would it be deliberately excluding the other major Abrahamic faith, to which Christianity is arguably more similar to than Judaism? I have never heard of a Jew using this term outside of those aligned with the Christian right. It seems to me that its more-so a term used by right-wing Evangelicals who want to lump the Jewish community into their agenda.

"Sub-saharan Africa" vs "Africa south of the Sahara"
Anyone with any knowledge of astronomy and physics knows that South ≠ Down and North
≠ Up. Sub-saharan Africa is somewhat implying it is "below" Egypt and the Maghreb when this is not the case. Some might argue the association of south with down is used elsewhere eg. "downstate" or "downtown", but actually these terms originated in New York based on the position on the Hudson River, just like here in Canada in the 18th and 19th centuries, Ontario was "Upper Canada" and Quebec was "Lower Canada" based on the position in the St Lawrence basin.

"Expatriate" vs "Immigrant"
Usually wealthy people who migrate to other nations are referred to as "expats" rather than immigrants. I find this to be classist and occasionally racist in the way this term is applied. The two terms should be interchangeable and it shouldn't be denied that those referred to as expats are also indeed immigrants.

What are some other good exampleS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 04:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,889 times
When career politicians call themselves "public servants". What a joke!

Old 06-12-2016, 04:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times
"gunned down"
Just a dramatic way of saying "shot".

"assault rifle"
Whatever that is.

"racist"
Need I say more?

"free"
LOL

Old 06-12-2016, 04:13 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,967 times
Anyone who makes up a word ending in the suffix "-istic"..

As in atheistic, terroristic, communistic etc.

These are the same people who use the word "inflammable" for flammable, "nucular" for nuclear...and so on and so forth.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:54 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
"Social Contract" - Magically consented to at birth

Old 06-12-2016, 05:11 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
"Leftist"

It lumps everyone who's politically on the left into one category, as if that makes any ****ing sense. The right is lucky to not have a word for that, even though 'conservative' is used for that purpose. But unlike leftists, which rather or not you identify as that, if you are on the left, it is what you are, being on the right does not automatically make one a conservative.

But my problem with it especially is it further solidifies in people's minds the idea that we only have two option. I throw up in my mouth a little every time someone utters the absurd phrase 'leftists' as if it has any real meaning other than "someone I disagree with."

Old 06-12-2016, 05:28 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,043,480 times
My number one most HATED term is ISLAMOPHOBIA.

'An exaggerated fear, hatred, and hostility toward Islam and Muslims that is perpetuated by negative stereotypes resulting in bias, discrimination, and the marginalization and exclusion of Muslims from social, political, and civic life'

Except with all the violence, chaos and death they keep causing around the world on a daily basis, how could one NOT have at least some fear, dislike or even hatred for them and their religion? Pretty much all the dislike people have towards them IS OF THEIR OWN DOING. And if anything Muslims have Westernphobia, namely they hate our society, our freedoms, our laws and beliefs and our way of life and they are dead set on doing things that eff us over, causing us harm and changing the very way we live.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
^^^^^^
If you have friends who are Muslim or are from a country were the majority of people (49%-51%) are Muslim then it is very easy not to hate people you deal with on a daily basis... I have distant relatives who are Muslim and one of my closest friends is Muslim. I have been to two nations were a majority or plurality of people are Muslim, Nigeria and Turkey and you can clearly see that not all Muslims are bad. I dare you to take two weeks in Antalya or any other Muslim dominated vacation city and I bet you your views on Muslims will change instantly, don't worry Antalya is 50% European tourists during the winter and is also lively during the summer months.

Political Correct- "the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against."
Used too mean something for about 2 months, now half of the people who use the term with (anti-) in front use it to be bigoted, and in general insult people they don't like.
Example:
1: " I am tired of these criminal black animals, all of them are apes, all blacks/chimpanzees should be kept away from my neighborhood."
2: "You racist."
1: "Your just mad I'm not politically correct."

Racist- Nowadays when they say it, they mean bigots or stereotypical. The use of this term has also lost it's meaning.

Racial Realist- term many far right conservatives use when their trying to hide their racism (actual racism not bigotry), a few use it to hide their bigotry.

White Genocide- Tries to convince disenfranchise white youth that the white population is decreasing do to immigration yet completely ignoring that many of the immigrant themselves come from low birth rate countries and that all developed countries have low birth rates and it isn't a white thing. Also believe that Africa and Asia isn't diverse and that immigrants only go to white nations. cough cough Middle East.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 06-12-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 05:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
At The End of The Day**** so over used.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:05 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,125,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
With political correctness as important as it is in the world today, I find it funny that certain terms are still in common use.
Here are three that really bother me:

"Judeo-Christian" vs "Abrahamic faiths"
Usually I've heard it used to justify laws discriminating against muslims by arguing that their country was "founded on Judeo-Christian values". Why else would it be deliberately excluding the other major Abrahamic faith, to which Christianity is arguably more similar to than Judaism? I have never heard of a Jew using this term outside of those aligned with the Christian right. It seems to me that its more-so a term used by right-wing Evangelicals who want to lump the Jewish community into their agenda.

"Sub-saharan Africa" vs "Africa south of the Sahara"
Anyone with any knowledge of astronomy and physics knows that South ≠ Down and North
≠ Up. Sub-saharan Africa is somewhat implying it is "below" Egypt and the Maghreb when this is not the case. Some might argue the association of south with down is used elsewhere eg. "downstate" or "downtown", but actually these terms originated in New York based on the position on the Hudson River, just like here in Canada in the 18th and 19th centuries, Ontario was "Upper Canada" and Quebec was "Lower Canada" based on the position in the St Lawrence basin.

"Expatriate" vs "Immigrant"
Usually wealthy people who migrate to other nations are referred to as "expats" rather than immigrants. I find this to be classist and occasionally racist in the way this term is applied. The two terms should be interchangeable and it shouldn't be denied that those referred to as expats are also indeed immigrants.

What are some other good exampleS?
I'm sick of hearing the words....

"Migrant"

"Racist"

"Bigot"

"Islamophobe"

"Xenophobe"

"Rhetoric"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies