Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 01:02 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,475,007 times

Advertisements

Despite What You’ve Heard, the Orlando Terrorist Did Not Use an AR-15 in Attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 01:03 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,050,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Here's a dumb question. I am aware that a .22 is a small bullet, is a .223 also considered small but just a little bigger?
The bullet itself is small, but I believe the 223 case is much larger than a 22 case, the part that holds the powder. So the 223 has lots of power pushing it, allowing it to travel faster and further. But yes, the size of the bullet itself is similar. The case of a 223 is probably like 3 times larger than a 22.

19,759 posts, read 10,209,621 times
Quote:
Do you see the need for a 30 round magazine on any gun? We could start by making them illegal too.
A person who is good with a gun, can shoot just as fast with 2 15s, 3 10s or even 5 6s. There is a video on one of these threads with a person doing exactly that.
I use either a 10 or a 12 at the range. Don't see much difference, except if you change the 12 to a 15, it's harder to reload it.

38,859 posts, read 25,634,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Many on the left now consider you a right wing nut job obsessed with guns.

They're free to be wrong just like anyone else.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 PM

16,378 posts, read 10,531,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
politicians, liberals and government. what hilary says and what hilary does is 2 different things.

as far as what you say about a small minority of liberals statement that you posted, is that not like calling the pot calling the kettle black?

liberals blame all firearm owners for the actions of just a few. start blaming the criminals and stop blaming the firearm.
You just keep throwing out these wide generalizations and you are hard to take seriously. Most liberals are not blaming you the gun owner for the crimes committed by others. Not sure where that came from. And they (we) do not want to take away your guns. The vast majority of liberals are simply asking for tighter background checks and possible a ban on certain guns, NOT a total ban on guns. You really need to get your facts straight.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
The bullet itself is small, but I believe the 223 case is much larger than a 22 case, the part that holds the powder. So the 223 has lots of power pushing it, allowing it to travel faster and further. But yes, the size of the bullet itself is similar. The case of a 223 is probably like 3 times larger than a 22.
Thanks, that helps me understand it much better.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:08 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,302,537 times
Quote:
Great point about VA Tech, surprised I had not heard it before. I am coming around to your point of view, just don't tell my wife.
In our case, I'm the wife, and my husband is coming around. The biggie was when our house in PA was broken into (fortunately we weren't home at the time), and when we called the town police we were told that they don't serve our area. We're in the township, not the actual town, so if we have a problem we have to call the state police. They work by county, so it could be quite a while before we would get a response in an emergency.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:09 PM

Interesting but it's like Coke and Pepsi right, similar but slightly different?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,457,750 times
Quote:
Do you see the need for a 30 round magazine on any gun? We could start by making them illegal too.

Who determines "need" and by what metrics?

You don't "need" a car that goes more than 70mph, or alcohol, or cheeseburgers. Car accidents, including alcohol related, plus diseases linked with obesity and high cholesterol kill more people by orders of magnitude when compared to firearm deaths.

I suppose the government should ban them, too?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,854,374 times
Quote:
Come on now. You are showing a women with literally a room full of shooting awards who can fire 4 times, then needed 4 seconds to reload 4 rounds, then she would need another 4 seconds to load all of 4 more. Next we have a nut job without anywhere close to her experience who would clearly take loinger than this award winner to reload. Now compare that with the nut job with the AR 15 where he can squeeze off 30 rounds in 30 seconds.

With that said I do think you are making compelling arguments. I never thought banning this gun was the answer, just felt it could be a start. Now I'm not so sure it would make that much of a difference.

I realize that the video shows an expert level reloading professional, but I posted it basically to show that ANY firearm can be pointed to, if the issue is how many rounds of ammunition can be fired from it. I am glad to see that you are willing to learn about and become educated about guns, even if your ultimate opinion regarding the banning of certain weapons or the limiting of gun rights remains the same.

I never dismiss the opinion of an informed individual with regard to issues pro or con 2nd Amendment (VERY pro 2A here), but too many people who refuse to educate themselves are the ones that sit in a position to limit our constitutional rights for unfounded and false perceptions and reasoning.

I do not own an AR-15, but have many friends, both male and female, who are owners and LOVE them.

I am happy with the weapons I own and I feel I, nor the government, has any right to determine what firearm is appropriate for any law abiding citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies