Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 10:18 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Jerry Miculek spent a lifetime and millions of rounds of ammo to be able to shoot how he does. This will never be anywhere near the norm. Its like assuming every kid that picks up a basketball will be as good as Lebron James.
True, however, anyone with a bit of practice can reload a revolver in a matter of a couple of seconds.

Same goes for smaller magazines in a semi auto pistol or rifle.

Just because Jerry does it that fast doesn't mean someone else can't do it almost as fast as far as the real world goes. The difference between the first place and last place shooters in the matches that Jerry competes in is measured in 100th's of a second.

But the difference in the guy who comes in last and any reasonably practiced shooter is maybe one or two seconds. You'd have to be quite clumsy to not be able to reload a revolver with a speed loader in a matter 5 seconds TOPS.

Quote:
There was a reason why we didn't see 55 people die in a killing spree in 1880. The guns wouldn't allow for it.

Ummmmm....no.

The reason why we didn't see 55 people die in a killing spree in 1880 is because there weren't so many nutcases that we now refuse to commit to asylums and Islamic extremist running around waging Jihad back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
We can regulate guns, we can't regulate the emotional and mental state of people. That said I don't think the Sandy Hook shooter would have wielded the same destructive power with a Girandoni air rifle.

No, but you sure can keep those people out of the public and out of the country if you aren't worried about political correctness.

THAT'S the difference between 1880's and now......not the guns.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:24 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:

Two shooters go into a crowded nightclub. One has an M1 Garand, the other an AR-15 with a detachable 30 round box mag. Assuming both shooters are of equal skill, which is able to shoot more people in a span of 3 minutes?

The military new the answer to this question when they replace the M1 Garand with the M14.
Why choose the M1 Garand? Why not compare it to a M1 Carbine which could use a 30 round detachable magazine just like the AR15, fire at the same rate of speed, can be reloaded just as quickly and has been available since the 1940's. Guns aren't the problem, a subset of people today are the problem.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
bans don't mean "turn them in" which is hilarious that the paranoid gun grabbers think that.

It does if you can't buy, sell or pass the banned weapons down to your kids.

Just means the confiscation is delayed until you die.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:06 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
True, however, anyone with a bit of practice can reload a revolver in a matter of a couple of seconds.

Same goes for smaller magazines in a semi auto pistol or rifle.

Just because Jerry does it that fast doesn't mean someone else can't do it almost as fast as far as the real world goes. The difference between the first place and last place shooters in the matches that Jerry competes in is measured in 100th's of a second.

But the difference in the guy who comes in last and any reasonably practiced shooter is maybe one or two seconds. You'd have to be quite clumsy to not be able to reload a revolver with a speed loader in a matter 5 seconds TOPS.

Ummmmm....no.

The reason why we didn't see 55 people die in a killing spree in 1880 is because there weren't so many nutcases that we now refuse to commit to asylums and Islamic extremist running around waging Jihad back then.
5 seconds tops? I could check cd and reload my revolver in that time. Moon clips are a dream.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:52 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why choose the M1 Garand? Why not compare it to a M1 Carbine which could use a 30 round detachable magazine just like the AR15, fire at the same rate of speed, can be reloaded just as quickly and has been available since the 1940's. Guns aren't the problem, a subset of people today are the problem.
Not so long ago, the M-1 Carbine was readily available in gun stores and by mail order (delivered right to your door) for about $50 each. There were thousands of them available, and very few people wanted one.(I carried one in Vietnam, 1966).
Now, if you find one, it will cost nearly as much as an AR-15! Sometimes more, in fact.
It is, I have heard, quite easy for a competent machinist to convert an M-1 Carbine to the M-2 fully automatic version.
With a bandolier of pre-loaded 8-round clips available, it is very easy to reload an M-1 Garand rapidly. I did it frequently in my younger years. I never got an "M-1 thumb", either. Yes, they really ARE "clips", not magazines. The M-1A and the M-14, however, use box magazines.
But then, so does the Remington Model 742 auto-loading .30-06 hunting rifle I used to have.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:19 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It does if you can't buy, sell or pass the banned weapons down to your kids.

Just means the confiscation is delayed until you die.
Yes, but the grabbers think we immediately can't use them. Take them off the streets today. Which we still can.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
5 seconds tops? I could check cd and reload my revolver in that time. Moon clips are a dream.
That's why I said TOPS.

Anyone who doesn't have some sort of disability can hit 3 seconds with a minimum amount of practice.

People are just way too caught up with capacity and reload times, thinking that it might give someone time to get away.

Truth is, in that scenario victims are going to be scared to death and probably temporarily deaf too from how loud a gun is in an enclosed environment like the one in Orlando. It's not like it is in the movies people..... guns are LOUD indoors. REALLY LOUD

By the time frightened and deafened victims realize that the shooter has stopped shooting and is reloading.....the shooter will be will be done reloading.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:36 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno
There was a reason why we didn't see 55 people die in a killing spree in 1880. The guns wouldn't allow for it.
The Gatling gun was first deployed in the 1860's.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies