Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Teenage girl suffers head wound from pistol with round in chamber.
The Spokesman-Review.com - Girl wounded in gun accident
//
One of the 14-year-old boys brought his father's .22-caliber pistol to the party. Abghari took the gun and ejected live cartridges, but one remained in the chamber, Peterson said.
//
I would consider this type of action imature and impropor by posting different links in a thousand posts.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
How many mass murders, and such violent crimes do we have to tolerate before any action is taken, there are more of these in the United States
than in the rest of the world put together. I agree that gun control will not solve most of the problem, but it will be a start.
What kind of society makes it more difficult for an 18 year old to obtain a beer than a gun?,this is just barbaric, Oh, the constitution grants the right to bear arms, well the hell with it, re-ammend the constitution, we don't need a cowboy society any more. Oh, the NRA is a special interest group blessed by the GOP?, who cares!
For one,after a tragedy it's the worse time to demand "something be done" because it's based on emotion not thought.9-11 proves that.

You said it won't solve the problem yet you want to go after freedom and commit regulation even so just so you can feel better thinking "something is being done".

Yes if it became so popular the amendment can be revoked.But ask yourself would that fix a problem or create even more.Alchohol was banned under the Constitution for the same moral or feel good thoughts you have but it increased blackmarket crime and gun crime to boot.

What we have is for one a drug policy that is doing the same as prohibition,and a society who is loosing respect for life,tackle those and you'll see gun crime plummit.If I put a gun in your hand right now would you use it?,I don't think so because you probably respect life including yours.

But take away a gun out of someone elses hand and you may take their life because they weren't able to defend themself.And there is a chance it could be used in crime,but I'd rather live in a free society with the danger that somebody will abuse it rather than be suffocated with regulation.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:49 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I agree! We need to make sure that more law abiding citizens are armed, so we can stop these slaughters as soon as they start, instead of waiting for the person committing the mass murder to decide that it's over.

If more women were armed, think of how many rapes could be avoided!

I am in complete agreement - we need to take action! Write your representatives and DEMAND that they fight for your 2nd Amendment rights!

That's, uh, wrong. Cite your source, please. Throwing around numbers without sourcing them is what uninformed people do when they're writing based purely on emotion, without any regard for logic or facts.

Gun control means hitting your target, right?

What, exactly do you think it will solve? Please be very specific.

Agreed. Lower the legal drinking age to 18. If you're old enough to give your life in service to your country, you're old enough to have a few drinks at a bar.

You wouldn't "re-ammend(sic)" the Constitution; you would repeal the amendment. That's not something you want to do, however, as the 2nd Amendment is the one that ensures that the others remain intact.

Yes! Who cares?!!

I'm not a Republican. I am a member of the NRA, but I won't be renewing my membership this year. I believe that they're really only looking out for themselves now, and how much money they can bring in. They spend about half of my membership fee each year just mailing me letters asking for more money! Screw the NRA! Gun Owners of America is a much better organization, who is still looking out for us.
Swagger I can't give you anymore rep but I can tell you that you rock!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 PM

16 posts, read 60,955 times
Number of physicians in the US: 700,000. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000. Accidental deaths per physician.... 0.171 (U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000. Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) 1,500. Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188 (Benton County News Tribune on 17th of November, [??])

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

"Remember, Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one doctor."

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand.

Remember guns don't kill people, doctors do!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
How many mass murders, and such violent crimes do we have to tolerate before any action is taken, there are more of these in the United States
than in the rest of the world put together. I agree that gun control will not solve most of the problem, but it will be a start.
What kind of society makes it more difficult for an 18 year old to obtain a beer than a gun?,this is just barbaric, Oh, the constitution grants the right to bear arms, well the hell with it, re-ammend the constitution, we don't need a cowboy society any more. Oh, the NRA is a special interest group blessed by the GOP?, who cares!
please do a search on states with lower gun control laws vs. high gun control laws. the facts should speak for themselves.
states with lower gun control laws have a lower incidence of gun crimes, where as states with tight controls have a higher incidence of gun crimes.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Uhh..no

Actually, we need to encourage more people to practice their right to carry firearms. We can't rely on our government for protection. The minute people realize that, the better this country will get. We relied on them to keep our airports safe and 9/11 still happened.

What are you going to do? Rely on the police to come pick up your dead body after you've been shot? Law enforcement can not prevent murders. Only a good citizen who is willing to protect him/herself and the people around him/her. What you fail to realize is that most guns that are used for crimes are bought illegally. Taking guns away from people who can legally by them makes the problem worse, because then that leaves them open to attack by criminals, who don't follow those gun laws. Gun laws have no effect on criminals because they don't get their firearms legally in the first place. It just leaves honest citizens vulnerable.

By the way, studies have shown that states with high gun ownership have lower crime. Vermont has the least laws on guns in America, yet, it is the 2nd safest state. The state of Vermont doesn't even have restrictions on what can be bought. Machine guns and assault weapons can be bought as easily as handguns can. Montana is also on the safest cities list, yet, it is legal for people 14 years old+ to carry weapons in public.
the supreme court at one point ruled that police are not there to protect the individual, but society as a whole.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
please do a search on states with lower gun control laws vs. high gun control laws. the facts should speak for themselves.
states with lower gun control laws have a lower incidence of gun crimes, where as states with tight controls have a higher incidence of gun crimes.

Right, you mean after you normalize the data for absolute population, population density, income distribution, age distribution, minority distribution, etc. Have any of the gun-lover organizations ever actually *done* this using real data? I mean, who CARES how many clowns get shot or don't get shot in Idaho or Montana, where there are more shell casings lying around (and tumbleweeds) than living people?

Get real with your tripe, please.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 PM

188 posts, read 548,669 times
Barrinas,

You need to start thinking for yourself and stop letting other people (Rosie O'Donnell) think for you.

Why do you think making guns illegal will will solve the problem? Murder is already illegal, but, oh my God, it still happens, how can that be. Why don't those dang criminals obey the law. Hmmmm

Barrinas, do you think criminals will obey gun laws when they obviously won't obey murder laws? Here's a new flash for you...CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS, THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CRIMINALS.

Barrinas, you are the type that is making us all victims.

Washington DC currently has had a hand gun ban overturned as it has been around since the 1970's (1). During the time of the ban, DC was frequently the murder capital of the United States (2). Why don't you, Barrinas, sit down and try to think critically for once, it will do us all some good.

(1)In 1976, Washington, D.C., enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134% while the national murder rate has dropped 2%
Gun politics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(2)Crime in Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Greybear; 03-24-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
well if we are going to ammend the constitution we might as well change the first ammendment as well. Too many people are getting their feeling hurt due to words.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Gun accidents resulting in deaths happen all the time. Many kinds of handguns are also poorly designed, as documented in several of the articles I posted on this thread.

If you drop a loaded handgun, there is a good chance it will go off. Is that how such an object should function? Sounds defective to me. But very few Americans seem to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies