Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Are we clear TD? VERY clear?
Greatday I am not you. Your personal experience does not mean that the result can only be the same if it happened to me. Are we VERY CLEAR?
If you want to arm yourself with a gun than do so, don't tell me that I have to do the same.
I am not telling anyone what they should do.
I only give my opinion to which you can agree or disagree and I really don't give a damn if you agree with me or not. Whether you do or not is your choice.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by jeepejeepWould you consider defusing these walking time bombs before they explode a bad strategy? How come no one new that these people were going to explode?
Somehow I believe that just arming everyone with guns will only result in more victims.
No one said anything about armimg everyone. There is something called an Instant Check System. Any person that wants to buy a gun in a gun shop or at a gun show must pass through this system. If they are not in the system (and millions upon millions of criminals and mentally defective people are in there) they may purchase the gun. This is called making as sure as we can that the law abiding are armed. The criminals know this and do not get guns in a legal manner. This is why they are called criminals. The law abiding are armed in order to deny these criminals easy access to un-armed victims (which is what you seem to want; people who can't defent themselves). I for one will not be one of these un-armed victims. What a criminal may think is a sheep in actuality has teeth and will bite back!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeepTrue but as long as I am able to use my wits (brain) I am never unarmed.
I consider the brain the most lethal weapon a man can possess.
Armed men who don't use their brains are just thugs, while a man who uses his wits is a warrior.
HAHAHAHA!!!! You are really living in a fantasy world. You think because a criminal is armed with a gun he surrenders his brain? He has his brain AND a gun! By being armed, I put myself on at lease an equal level with him. Probaly more so because I train often and most criminals don't. You can try to stand up to a hardened criminal with only your brain. I'll see you at your funeral.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
I am not you. Your personal experience does not mean that the result can only be the same if it happened to me. Are we VERY CLEAR? If you want to arm yourself with a gun than do so, don't tell me that I have to do the same.I am not telling anyone what they should do. I only give my opinion to which you can agree or disagree and I really don't give a damn if you agree with me or not. Whether you do or not is your choice.
No, you are not me. But, I can guarantee you that if it had been you, my wife and child would have died that night. That is a guarantee TD. Additionally, you would have been dead. The gunman was bent on killing that night. It turned out he had already done so earlier that evening.

I am not telling you to have to have a firearm. However, you have as much said that others should follow your way - and not have a gun. You have tried to tell others what to do.

You don't know much about the United States - by your own admission. You don't know much about crime in the United States. You don't know about the influx of gangs from other countries into the United States.

You are free to own or not own a firearm here in the United States. You have a choice.

In Holland, you don't have a choice. Criminals have guns in Holland. You now are at their mercy.

There is one of the stark differences between our two countries.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by jeepejeep
Quote:
HAHAHAHA!!!! You are really living in a fantasy world. You think because a criminal is armed with a gun he surrenders his brain? He has his brain AND a gun!
Most people with a gun think that they don't need to think simply because they have the ultimate nullifier a gun.

Quote:
I am not telling you to have to have a firearm. However, you have as much said that others should follow your way - and not have a gun. You have tried to tell others what to do.
Nope, I have only explained why I think that I don't need 1. And I have expressed my concern of untrained people running around with a gun.
The only thing you can be certain of is the reason that I disagree with you about owning a gun and why.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
I watched a resturant manager in LA "talk" to a robber with a loaded gun with the hammer pulled back and pointed right at him. The manager wound up with a few holes in him. He must have said something nice because the robber shot him in the leg and butt instead of the head.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
And so far as the "untrained people running around with a gun" many of the states in the US require a firearms safety course or strongly recommend one, in order to get your permit.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nor am I - the last breakin I had, I shot and killed the guy. 'Course, he was also going after my wife and family -
Whoa, really??? Have you ever told the entire story in this forum, or anywhere else? I'd love to hear it. In particular the legal and psychological ramifications of an incident like this must have been tremendous, both on you and for your family. I'm sure you could write a book (or maybe already have?)

And BTW, kudos to you!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Any responsible adult will get the training and practice required to safely keep and use a firearm. Most criminals don't bother.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Have you ever told the entire story in this forum,
There are no kudos necessary. I did what was necessary to protect my family. It was not however, the best day of my life. And, it was many years ago - but, I can still hear my shot and see the bullet entering the gunmans head. I have not had nightmares or anything like that about it though.

My family was unharmed - and that is all that mattered.

There was the "normal" investigation - by the police department and county attorney. It was ruled self defense. It took about a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies