Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
I was pretty sure I already pay tax on soda... looked it up, and I sure do. They'll get used to it.
If you get robbed at gunpoint everyday I suppose you'll eventually get more comfortable with a Glock pointed at your head.

Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 PM

305 posts, read 180,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you get robbed at gunpoint everyday I suppose you'll eventually get more comfortable with a Glock pointed at your head.

Good point.
If they were robbing me to support the Fire Dept., you'd call him Robin Hood...

Old 01-18-2017, 04:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
They dont stop goods from going into their country.
There might not be a law against bringing goods into a country like China but instead they create a regulatory quagmire or simply play games. That food shipment might sit on the dock and it's rotten by the time the inspector gets to it.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What about diet soda that has no sugar, is it taxed as well?
Yes it is along with other drinks.
Quote:
https://beta.phila.gov/services/paym...-beverage-tax/

What is taxed
The tax is not just on sodas. This tax is on any non-alcoholic beverage, syrup, or other concentrate used to prepare a beverage that lists as an ingredient any form of caloric sugar-based sweetener, including, but not limited to sucrose, glucose, or high fructose corn syrup.
Drinks considered “diet” or “zero calorie” are also taxed. Specifically, this tax is on any non-alcoholic beverage, syrup or other concentrate used to prepare a beverage that lists any form of artificial sugar substitute, including stevia, aspartame, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame potassium (Ace-K), saccharin, and advantame.
Examples of sweetened beverages
Soda (regular and diet); non-100%-fruit drinks; sports drinks; sweetened water; energy drinks; pre-sweetened coffee or tea; and non-alcoholic beverages intended to be mixed into an alcoholic drink.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
We have to look at the cost of that tax and the benefits of it. When bike riding and rock climbing have numerous benefits and the tax is hard to implement compared to a simple tax on soda, then we should refrain from doing that. In fact, I think we should encourage people to bike more. We should use the soda tax money to fund bike lanes.
There are safer alternatives to riding a bike if you want to exercise. It is an unnecessary risk that is costing society money.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:13 PM

What is absurd to me is to tax something out of health concerns and then turn around and allow people using taxpayer funds to buy it. Who of you supporting this soda tax is will also support a ban of food stamps being used for soda and other unhealthy foods? Soda is the number one purchase by food stamp recipients.
Quote:
The Link Between Food Stamps and Obesity - NYTimes.com

Forty-two percent of low-income women in the United States are obese, and the rate of obesity is even higher among women who participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -- formerly the food stamp program.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:17 PM

305 posts, read 180,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What is absurd to me is to tax something out of health concerns and then turn around and allow people using taxpayer funds to buy it. Who of you supporting this soda tax is will also support a ban of food stamps being used for soda and other unhealthy foods? Soda is the number one purchase by food stamp recipients.
Honestly, I would. I had no idea you could buy soda and other such things with food stamps until a couple years ago. I had assumed Food Stamps was just like our WIC program in my state, you can't buy soda with WIC...

Old 01-18-2017, 05:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
If they were robbing me to support the Fire Dept., you'd call him Robin Hood...
Nah, all theft is wrong.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:13 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's $1 on a 2 liter soda, on sale I can buy a 2 liter coke for $1. If I bought cheap soda the tax would be more than the soda.

Here is question I have for you food police people, when do we begin the crack down on food stamp recipients? Soda is their number one purchase.
Yeah, but they aren't drinking it, they're selling it for 50 cents on the dollar and turning it in to cash that can be spent on booze, cigarettes, and lotto tickets....

Quote:
"Well, you try paying that much for a case of pop," says the irritated proprietor of a nearby café, who is curt with whoever is on the other end of the telephone but greets customers with the perfect manners that small-town restaurateurs reliably develop. I don't think much of that overheard remark at the time, but it turns out that the local economy runs on black-market soda the way Baghdad ran on contraband crude during the days of sanctions.

It works like this: Once a month, the debit-card accounts of those receiving what we still call food stamps are credited with a few hundred dollars — about $500 for a family of four, on average — which are immediately converted into a unit of exchange, in this case cases of soda. On the day when accounts are credited, local establishments accepting EBT cardsare swamped with locals using their public benefits to buy cases and cases — reports put the number at 30 to 40 cases for some buyers — of soda. Those cases of soda then either go on to another retailer, who buys them at 50 cents on the dollar, in effect laundering those $500 in monthly benefits into $250 in cash — a considerably worse rate than your typical organized-crime money launderer offers — or else they go into the local black-market economy, where they can be used as currency in such ventures as the dealing of unauthorized prescription painkillers — by "pillbillies," as they are known at the sympathetic establishments in Florida that do so much business with Kentucky and West Virginia that the relevant interstate bus service is nicknamed the "OxyContin Express."

Appalachia: The big white ghetto

Old 01-19-2017, 12:14 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You know why your post isn't clever in the least? Because all it is is just a knee-jerk reaction. Hell, why not just execute effective everyone when they reach 65? Silly arguments get silly responses. It's nobody's fault they took care of themselves and got an extra 10 years as a result. Why don't we punish law abiding citizens and reward law breakers? Think before you post

Actually I think his point is entirely valid, given that the whole justification for the soda tax is that people who make unhealthy choices ( like drinking soda ) will incur higher healthcare costs.

So the argument that people who make healthy choices actually live longer and incur higher costs in the long term is relevant. Why shouldn't healthy people, by living longer and needing more healthcare long term, be subject to the same kind of taxes since their healthy activity is a drain on the system in and of itself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies