Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Single Motherhood One of the Biggest Problem in Modern Society?
Yes, absolutely. 71 68.27%
No, it's not much of an issue at all. 33 31.73%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:48 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
....one of the biggest problems in modern society?
ONLY if the mother is poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 05:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I believe the use of colored text is The biggest problem in society

Old 06-20-2016, 06:10 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Most of the men in prison come from single parent households.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:11 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I see where this is going it is the woman's fault again-- yes it is always the wicked woman's fault...
A lot of men forgot to be real men
but the responses on the thread shows what we all know --lack of responsibility on the male side

Old 06-20-2016, 06:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Thread is 8-9 years behind the trend.

The unmarried birth rate peeked in 2007/8 at 51.8%, up from 34% in 2002. The greatest growth in the non marital rate at that time was for Hispanic women.

According to the CDC, the current rate is 40.2%, with the sharpest declines in Hispanic and black rates.

Teen birth rates continue to decline from the peek of 50% of no nonmarital births in 1970.

Products - Data Briefs - Number 162 - August 2014

I believe Iceland continues to hold the record for nonmarital birth rates among developed countries at 66%, among native populations. Mothers, married or not recieve the same government benefits. There is no stigma associated with single motherhood.

Last I checked it took a male and female to engage in unprotected sex to create a baby.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 06-20-2016 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 06:42 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,079,792 times
People who vote no are ignoring the facts.

Facts - study after study shows that kids in single parent homes are:

-more likely to wind up a deadbeat dad or single mom*

-more likely to drop out of high school

-more likely to wind up incarcerated

-more likely to commit a violent crime

-more likely to commit suicide

-more likely to wind up in poverty (welfare)

This is true even if you adjust for race, socio-economic status, and location.

Families are important. Parental supervision is important.

*It is a problem that has grown dramatically since the mid 1960s.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:47 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I think it's a symptom of a larger problem.

Women generally (certainly not always) end up single mothers because the guy abandons her once he finds out she's pregnant.
Actually, often the guy doesn't abandon them. The mother can get public assistance if the man just "visits". More babies mean a bigger check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The accepted and promoted, Welfare State of Government Assistance.
This is also working for the illegal aliens. I have noticed when they have the sob stories about the illegal alien feeling they are getting their share of benefits, there is no man in the picture because income would reduce the assistance to the family, and this is one big reason we don't need illegal aliens because we have enough of our own doing this crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post

Looking at the votes, virtually everyone thinks that single motherhood is a huge problem in today's society. I have two questions:

1) Why isn't there policies in place that discourage, instead of encourage, single motherhood?

2) Only a couple of decades ago, it used to be ashamed for anyone who's a single mother (exception is widows), but now, people are proudly and loudly say "I am a single mom!" like they are supposed to get an award for it. What happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
We don't want to hurt single moms' feelings.
Just like with the illegal aliens, pull the benefits. Remove the kids from the home until the parent gets her act together. Many in high school get pregnant to get their own place where the boyfriend can hang out and they can produce more money bundles.

I don't care who is a single mother or a married mother if they are paying their own way. When I help pay their way, that is where the problem lies. One is responsible for their own moral being and should be responsible to finance it.

Also, do not forget that poverty is an industry in the USA and that we have very few since jobs were exported out our country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_industry Combine that with the prison industry and big pharma and you have the core of who the US has become.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:53 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Why are the options here 'the biggest problem' or 'hardly a problem at all?' Just because our presidential elections give us two ****ty options doesn't mean ever poll made on this forum should be like that.

Single motherhood is problematic for a variety of reasons. Firstly, it's hard. Single moms have to parent and make money. I'm all for gender equality, but there is a reason that traditionally men are the bread winners and women are the homemakers. Making money and parenting both take absurd amounts of time and energy, and when split between two people, it makes the job much more manageable. Without a second person, one person has to do both, and this doesn't consistently give great results.

Another problem is how men are behaving. For whatever reason, single mothers are often blamed more than I think they need to be. Society still has this view that women who have sex are whores, I guess. Single motherhood is not an issue that I blame on women. Men need to step up. Speaking as a man, if I got a girl pregnant, I'd figure something out but I sure as **** wouldn't just leave all together. I tend to think that being raised by one parent is better than being raised by parents who clearly don't love each other or even really like each other (though there are exceptions to this), but if you aren't going to stick around, then you better be sending a check in the mail every month. It's sad that so often the courts have to demand this of these men. It would save more men a lot of trouble if they did this on their own. That way, when money is tight, they can simply work out an agreement with their ex rather than go to prison.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
How about policies that discourage deadbeat fatherhood too?

No no no!

All you need is one thug to in-pregnant 12 women, and by the time they are try to collect child support, he might be in jail already.

Not to mention, some of these single moms don't even know who the baby daddy is.

You need to understand that, the child is carried by the mom for 9 months, and even after birth,..... do I need to explain the different biological role a man and a woman play in child birth and rearing?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
Quote:
How about policies that discourage deadbeat fatherhood too?
Yes that is the answer! More laws! More Government! More more more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thread is 8-9 years behind the trend.

The unmarried birth rate peeked in 2007/8 at 51.8%, up from 34% in 2002. The greatest growth in the non marital rate at that time was for Hispanic women.

According to the CDC, the current rate is 40.2%, with the sharpest declines in Hispanic and black rates.

Teen birth rates continue to decline from the peek of 50% of no nonmarital births in 1970.

Products - Data Briefs - Number 162 - August 2014

I believe Iceland continues to hold the record for nonmarital birth rates among developed countries at 66%, among native populations. Mothers, married or not recieve the same government benefits. There is no stigma associated with single motherhood.

Last I checked it took a male and female to engage in unprotected sex to create a baby.
Well with modern science, a man or a woman who is single can choose to have a baby, with the help of a donor and a woman to carry the baby(if necessary). I don't know if it will ever become a big trend, but I do hear of single ladies, for various reasons deciding to get a sperm donor and becoming pregnant. So that is a single mother that created a baby by choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies