Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:13 AM

477 posts, read 276,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It is not a Second Amendment right to own every type of gun imaginable. Recall that fully automatic weapons (machine guns) are still banned.
Actually, if a U.S. citizen has no criminal record and pays a fee for a federal tax stamp and I think, has a Class 3 Federal Firearm License, and are willing to pay a huge sum, they CAN own a full auto machine gun/rifle/pistol.

Funny thing is, these people, and the vast majority of concealed carry folk, as well as the layperson gun owner, don't commit the crimes everyone is so worried about.

Everyone bandies about the stats of 250 to 300 million guns in the USA, 13 million or more AR-15s, etc. If most gun owners were as violent and bloodthirsty as some paint them to be, wouldn't we be like Syria or Somalia right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 09:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
The Supreme Court (again) declined to take up a constitutional challenge to a (Connecticut) gun law passed in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

The Connecticut law bans certain semi-automatic assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
The ruling also applied to an assault weapons ban in New York and other laws in other states.

Supreme Court turns down assault weapons cases

I am sure that those who constantly argue about states rights, will do a 180 here, since it didn't go their way.

How does the court choose which cases they will hear.

Cases to Resolve a Conflict of Law
Cases when Lower Courts Disregard past Supreme Court decisions
The Court will Sometimes Hear Cases that Speak to the Justices' Interests

So I guess none of the justices felt this case was a conflict of law.

Even the late Justice Scalia would have agreed.

He wrote in District of Columbia v. Heller, that the court was not upholding “a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose."

Because they know a 4-4 decision would be a waste of time and it would not be heard again.
Waiting for one more conservative on the court, is smart.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:17 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Good. Taking assault weapons off the shelves is a step in the right direction, but I would like to see a national ban. Current owners are allowed to keep their guns, but may not sell them privately in Connecticut.

The ban in Connecticut includes pistols.

Of course the question is always asked, "Do criminals care about these laws?", and the answer is "no, they don't. Criminals will do as they damn well please".
That's why semi-automatic weapons need to be removed from shelves in American stores and gun shows.

Connecticut is among the most permissive states in terms of carry permits, and I think that's the direction we need to go; let people carry weapons to defend themselves and their property but restrict nationwide what can be purchased by civilians.

Fire away
I think that you suffer from an extreme lack of knowledge.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The complete lack of critical thinking skills among the gun control crowd is quite stunning. As if thugs, felons, terrorists, etc., who have NO problem violating laws to commit their crimes will suddenly be law-abiding persons when it comes to gun control laws.

Narcotics are controlled. How has that worked out? Have the drug dealers been eliminated? The addicts? ODs? No to all of the above. Guess why? They're completely ignoring narcotics control laws.

In fact, ODs cause more deaths than firearms.

Really good chart breaking down cause of deaths in the U.S.:

http://media.oregonlive.com/data/ima...86_post-01.jpg
The strawman appeareth. Not everybody who is shot dies. Overall, most live, thanks to medical advancements or really bad shooters.

I've never seen a narcotic, jump into the air, and fly into a roomful of peoples mouths, or arms.

If it was only the person with the gun dying or getting injured, there would be no problem now, would there?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Because they know a 4-4 decision would be a waste of time and it would not be heard again.
you realize that's not going to happen right?

Trump has about as much chance of winning POTUS as I do.

Face facts, as polarizing as HRC is, no one is more so than Trump.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:21 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Too bad, for you, they don't choose their cases based on the possible outcome.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
We need to concentrate on finding the potential mass murders and much less on the weapons.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
There is no contradiction. 10th leaves to the states what the prior 9 didn't identify. The second says arms are allowed.

Connecticut decided to list some that aren't.

No contradiction.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:26 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,814,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine

I am sure that those who constantly argue about states rights, will do a 180 here, since it didn't go their way.
State's rights are great, EXCEPT they should not be permitted to preempt the US Constitution. That is the line that should not be crossed. But many states and the Feds continue to **** on it routinely.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
you realize that's not going to happen right?

Trump has about as much chance of winning POTUS as I do.

Face facts, as polarizing as HRC is, no one is more so than Trump.

I have been looking for a good crystal ball. But cannot find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies